Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   question about Bicycle shirts/jerseys (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1110170)

Garilia 06-04-17 07:50 AM

question about Bicycle shirts/jerseys

I am 5'9" medium build and between 240-250, and most of my weight is in my belly. Do any of you wear bicycle jerseys and if so, what brand do you wear that fits comfortably? Right now I tend to wear synthetic shirts from Target or WalMart.

rgconner 06-04-17 08:46 AM

Hit a Performance Bike and try on a few, they have fitting rooms.

Highly recommend a mesh undershirt, as it helps wick sweat away from places where the skin overlaps.

Garilia 06-04-17 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by rgconner (Post 19630474)

Highly recommend a mesh undershirt, as it helps wick sweat away from places where the skin overlaps.

You know, until today I did not realize there's a Performance Bike store in my metro area. There's one in Ft. Lauderdale about 25 miles away. I'll check them out

Jimbosays 06-04-17 07:50 PM

For jerseys:

LOVE2PEDAL Bicycle Shorts and Cycling Jerseys from Primal, Falconi

Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs

Garilia 06-05-17 04:57 AM

Thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

MRT2 06-05-17 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by rgconner (Post 19630474)

I have three. Craft, Pearl Izumi, and Bontrager. I like the Craft the best, with the Pearl a close second. The Bontrager works well, but the fabric doesn't stretch as much and thus is a bit less comfortable.

MRT2 06-05-17 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Garilia (Post 19630364)
I am 5'9" medium build and between 240-250, and most of my weight is in my belly. Do any of you wear bicycle jerseys and if so, what brand do you wear that fits comfortably? Right now I tend to wear synthetic shirts from Target or WalMart.

Bontrager Solstice. Loose fit, almost fits like a T Shirt. Primal, but only if you size up a couple of sizes. Pearl Izumi, size XXL.

Moriarty 06-05-17 03:35 PM

Aero Tech Designs (Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs). They do large size clothing that actually fits large size people. I love their jerseys. Before I made the leap to wearing cycling jerseys, I didn't mind Old Navy exercise shirts. Nothing special but cheap and durable.

Garilia 06-09-17 03:02 PM

I went to my local (30 miles away) Performance Bikes today and Picked up this shirt for $19. The Club/team style jerseys are still too tight on me, and with my huge belly, just not comfortable or a good look. I'm too self conscious to wear form fitting clothes yet.

Garilia 06-09-17 03:10 PM

Is Aerotech sold in stores? I didn't see the brand at Performance today.

HerrKaLeun 06-09-17 03:50 PM

this may be unconventional and not 100% as aerodynamic: I use this Construction site high-vis shirt and cost about $30. I use a smaller size for it being more aerodynamic (I have an M and usually have XL). your local Farm&Fleet, or other hardware or safety clothes store has them.
Main reason is it is inexpensive and has OSHA rated reflection and also the airy wicking material. (I'm the guy that also uses daylight running lights). You can get them without he M3 stripes for $23 (just yellow then).
bonus it does not have weird advertisement on it (don't like to look like I'm at the tour de France unless i get paid to wear some company's name)

squirtdad 06-09-17 04:51 PM

for commuting I get bright wicking tshirts from eastbay.

for longer rides I like the bike specific features (long trail, pockets) Voler is good option Voler Store Cycling Apparel Browse: sale,mens

Myosmith 06-09-17 11:05 PM

Another +1 for Aerotech.

Be aware that there are different cuts for cycling shirts so even in the same brand an XL in one line might not fit the same way as an XL in another. Race cut is a tapered close-fitting cut. Club cut is a more generous cut for those of us who don't have pro racer bodies. Sport cut is somewhere in between. Some companies may use different terms but most have at least three basic cuts to choose from.

I'm a larger rider and in addition to Primal and Aerotech, have had good luck with LG's club fit.

tajar66 06-10-17 07:48 AM

We seem to be about the same size. I have found Voler to be a good option with good prices.

Garilia 06-10-17 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun (Post 19643073)
this may be unconventional and not 100% as aerodynamic: I use this Construction site high-vis shirt and cost about $30. I use a smaller size for it being more aerodynamic (I have an M and usually have XL). your local Farm&Fleet, or other hardware or safety clothes store has them.
Main reason is it is inexpensive and has OSHA rated reflection and also the airy wicking material. (I'm the guy that also uses daylight running lights). You can get them without he M3 stripes for $23 (just yellow then).
bonus it does not have weird advertisement on it (don't like to look like I'm at the tour de France unless i get paid to wear some company's name)

I found this link on another thread in a different forum section, but that one wasn't geared to big or heavy people. But this is a good link and cheaper than $30/shirt

SAFETY SHIRTS & SWEAT SHIRTS - 99¢ LOGO SALE

donalson 06-12-17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moriarty (Post 19633669)
Aero Tech Designs (Cycling Apparel, Bike Shorts, Bike Jerseys by Aero Tech Designs). They do large size clothing that actually fits large size people. I love their jerseys. Before I made the leap to wearing cycling jerseys, I didn't mind Old Navy exercise shirts. Nothing special but cheap and durable.

someone here gave me one of their Jerseys and I've been really impressed, I ordered a pair of their bibs some time back and while they didn't fit me correctly (chamios on most brands tend to be in the wrong position for some reason) they where also very high quality... on the Jersey I really like the fit and that it has a full zipper... I have a few syntetic generic workout shirts and at some point I picked up a cannondale jersey from nashbar for cheap... having a proper jersey is nice just to have the shirt tail actually cover you a little more plus you can toss something into the back pockets...

Garilia 06-13-17 06:45 AM

I definitely like the look of the aerotech jerseys for big/colossal guys. I will most likely order one later this summer.

Fremdchen 06-13-17 09:40 PM

Check out Fat Lad At The Back for some charming, self-deprecating British humor w/ your jersey. Also for Lasses...

https://fatladattheback.com/

fp64 06-14-17 08:37 AM

I wear the $10 Walmart shirts. Not interested in paying $$$ for pockets

Knet 06-14-17 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Garilia (Post 19650063)
I definitely like the look of the aerotech jerseys for big/colossal guys. I will most likely order one later this summer.

I'll add my vote to AeroTech, I have a couple of their shorts and jerseys. Good stuff and a good fit for bigger guys.

racer83l 06-20-17 08:02 AM

thanks for this thread. I just ordered a jersey, shorts, and gloves from aerotech. I'm on Long Island they are in PA so shipping should be quick. BTW, my 1st post.

ill.clyde 06-20-17 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fremdchen (Post 19651921)
Check out Fat Lad At The Back for some charming, self-deprecating British humor w/ your jersey. Also for Lasses...

https://fatladattheback.com/

I just placed my first order with them ... I've been making due with one kit for this year so I'm past due for a second. Will share my thoughts and impressions when I receive my order. Love the cheeky British humor of it

ill.clyde 06-27-17 11:12 AM

So I got my FLAB kit yesterday. Ordered it June 20, arrived six days later. Not bad from across the pond to Wisconsin.

I'm 6'3, right around 300 right now and heading down. I emailed them with a size question on their jerseys and they were quick to reply. Suggested I order the 52, so I did. I also ordered a pair of bibs, in their size 7, which corresponds to a 42-44. The bibs fit ok ... but they're not as snug as my Pearl Izumi's in an XXL, and I like the PIs because they're snug. That said, on my ride today I had no problems with the FLAB bibs. I went with the Ey Up bibs in black, which is their lowest price offering (though, looking at the website now the link to those bibs is dead?).

Anywho, the jersey fits well, though when I first tried it on I felt like I had ordered too small. The jersey's are definitely a bigger cut, but there's no flap in this jersey. It's snug, but not sausage casing snug, and as I rode with it today I got more and more comfortable with it. I would imagine as I lose more weight I'll be even more happy with it. FWIW, I got the "Lanterne Rouge" jersey ... and I rather enjoy the humor in it, as well as the Fat Lad at the Back branding.

All in all, I would definitely order from them again, and likely will before the season is over.

MRT2 06-27-17 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ill.clyde (Post 19680742)
So I got my FLAB kit yesterday. Ordered it June 20, arrived six days later. Not bad from across the pond to Wisconsin.

I'm 6'3, right around 300 right now and heading down. I emailed them with a size question on their jerseys and they were quick to reply. Suggested I order the 52, so I did. I also ordered a pair of bibs, in their size 7, which corresponds to a 42-44. The bibs fit ok ... but they're not as snug as my Pearl Izumi's in an XXL, and I like the PIs because they're snug. That said, on my ride today I had no problems with the FLAB bibs. I went with the Ey Up bibs in black, which is their lowest price offering (though, looking at the website now the link to those bibs is dead?).

Anywho, the jersey fits well, though when I first tried it on I felt like I had ordered too small. The jersey's are definitely a bigger cut, but there's no flap in this jersey. It's snug, but not sausage casing snug, and as I rode with it today I got more and more comfortable with it. I would imagine as I lose more weight I'll be even more happy with it. FWIW, I got the "Lanterne Rouge" jersey ... and I rather enjoy the humor in it, as well as the Fat Lad at the Back branding.

All in all, I would definitely order from them again, and likely will before the season is over.

So quality wise, how does it compare to the other brands of jersey you own?

ill.clyde 06-27-17 11:25 AM

great question ... I'd say the quality is on par or even better than others I own. I have one Nashbar jersey that I really like, and the FLAB jersey is definitely a little better. The FLAB jersey beats the rest of the jerseys I have hands down. No quality issues here, provided they hold up to use :)