Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   So there's this Boston cabbie who gets arrested... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=981219)

BarryJo 11-11-14 09:17 PM

So there's this Boston cabbie who gets arrested...

....... for beating up a cyclist, who ran a red light, and hit a pedestrian, putting her in the hospital.
In a perfect world the cabbie would've put the cyclist in the hospital, and the cyclist would be the one in front of a judge for assault and battery with a bike.
Taxi driver faces charges for hitting bicyclist twice ? with fist, then cab - Metro - The Boston Globe

For more context Google "Lucas Brunelle" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Velo Vol 11-11-14 09:30 PM

Brunelle, who is not expected to face criminal charges, called the entire incident “a group ride that went bad.”
It was during a group ride? In the dark?

BarryJo 11-11-14 09:38 PM

You gotta love this guy for his outrage over the cabbie getting off on $1000 bail while defending himself for what seems to me, instigating the whole thing.
Video:
Taxi Driver Accused Of Beating Bicyclist Who Hit Pedestrian In Boston « CBS Boston

Team Sarcasm 11-11-14 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BarryJo (Post 17298498)
....... for beating up a cyclist, who ran a red light, and hit a pedestrian, putting her in the hospital.
In a perfect world the cabbie would've put the cyclist in the hospital, and the cyclist would be the one in front of a judge for assault and battery with a bike.
Taxi driver faces charges for hitting bicyclist twice ? with fist, then cab - Metro - The Boston Globe

For more context Google "Lucas Brunelle" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.

You post came across as the cyclist in the wrong as in hit and run.

In a bizarre altercation, a cab driver in Boston allegedly beat up a cyclist who had flagged him down for help following an accident, then drove into him when he tried to prevent him from leaving, authorities said Monday.

The OP makes it seem like the taxi driver is in the right...not that I am condoning hitting people w/ a bike/car/what ever.

Taxi driver in the wrong? yes.

Cyclist in the wrong? yes.

Hopefully the woman makes a full recovery.

I don't get why searching that guy's name changes anything?

Acquaspin 11-11-14 10:16 PM

Just to pile on the speculation, can't wait to see how much bail is set at when he is sued by the woman hit in the first place. Appears he's setting himself up for a bad karma recoil.

Dave Cutter 11-11-14 10:28 PM

The elderly lady has a civil case. The cabbie an assault charge. The cyclist will continue to race and make videos. Another day in the city of brotherly love.

Acquaspin 11-11-14 10:45 PM

Running a red light, hitting a pedestrian, and got out with a civil case?? Without knowing the details, the pedestrian got below par legal advise or the rider got extremely lucky or both. And yes, just another day in urban paradise.

jwarner 11-11-14 10:45 PM

The guy (cyclist) seems like a complete jerk. His, and the cab driver's actions were both unjustified. Hope the lady sues the pants off the seemingly arrogant rich dude with no common sense or respect for others.

WhyFi 11-11-14 10:53 PM

What does this have to do with road cycling?

zymphad 11-11-14 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BarryJo (Post 17298498)

What a mess. Stupid cyclist hits a pedestrian, riding on the sidewalk. If you're going to ride on the sidewalk in Boston, you better be riding at the speed of pedestrians. And he did while ignoring the red light... Don't be a dick.

Secondly, flagging down a cab for help? Is he stupid? Why of all people would you ask a cab driver for help? I haven't seen a cab driver show me any courtesy while on a bike in Boston yet. I ride up on the bar, on my 34 carefully in Boston because of cab drivers...
- In the city, what I fear most are: Garbage trucks and cabs.

Acquaspin 11-11-14 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 17298801)
What does this have to do with road cycling?

It is believed that the bike rider was wearing tighty whities under his biking pants...

Dannihilator 11-11-14 11:21 PM

Welcome to A&S.

rms13 11-11-14 11:29 PM

But, did he wave?

BarryJo 11-12-14 06:38 AM

I somehow doubt this post would've been moved to a forum where no one will ever see it again had the cyclist been the one hit and injured by a reckless driver. He'd be more of a rock star than he already believes himself to be.
C'est la vie.

Chicago Al 11-12-14 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter (Post 17298747)
The elderly lady has a civil case. The cabbie an assault charge. The cyclist will continue to race and make videos. Another day in the city of brotherly love.

+ 1 Except...Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love, and this happened in Boston.

Leebo 11-12-14 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter (Post 17298747)

That's Philly, not Boston.

mconlonx 11-12-14 03:27 PM

Cyclist is treated like drivers and we're outraged...?

Oh, wait, that was before it hit A&S.

Cyclosaurus 11-12-14 03:32 PM

The cyclist seems pretty reckless based on his "urban race" videos. But nevertheless, he did the right thing by stopping when he hit someone and trying to get help. And fortunately it sounds like the pedestrian wasn't seriously hurt. The cabbie was the one who acted criminally and deserves his punishment. I hope that the cyclist takes a lesson, not from the beating, but from the fact that he's putting pedestrians at risk. If he had really injured or killed someone then I think his own videos would be enough to throw the book at him.

walrus1 11-12-14 05:06 PM

Yep tickets for the cyclist desvres a ticket. Hopefully the cabbie gets some time in jail.

Dave Cutter 11-12-14 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago Al (Post 17299266)
+ 1 Except...Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love, and this happened in Boston.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Matariki 11-12-14 07:12 PM

It seems to me that the cabbie's outrage indicates that there is much more to the story.

bmontgomery87 11-13-14 05:36 AM

Lucas Brunelle was clearly in the wrong. He ran a red and hit someone. At least give the guy credit for stopping and trying to make the situation right instead of fleeing the scene.

The cab driver was in the wrong too. You don't assault someone and hit them while they're on the ground just because they shout some expletives at you.

Brunelle deserves a hefty lawsuit to pay for the woman's medical bills. The cab driver deserves a conviction.

BarryJo 11-13-14 04:58 PM

There are a lot of cyclists around the area who wish they had the chance to do poor Lucas exactly what the cab driver did. Even more after the story came out.

Now most people might think an accident like what happened on Monday might have given poor Lucas a healthy dose of common sense with his riding style, but I can assure you it didn't. Here's a video he posted yesterday where he's again riding like an idiot down Alewife/ Fresh Pond in Cambridge, which is one of the most hazardous stretches of road any time of day, add in morning rush hour and rain and you wish the guy driving the van would've gotten out and did to poor Lucas what the cab driver did to him on Monday.

And afterwards he brags about his landing ability. Go figure.
edit - It was an unfortunate accident but anyone riding a bike down that stretch of road really needs to expect the unexpected.

Rollfast 11-14-14 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 (Post 17302468)
Lucas Brunelle was clearly in the wrong. He ran a red and hit someone. At least give the guy credit for stopping and trying to make the situation right instead of fleeing the scene.

The cab driver was in the wrong too. You don't assault someone and hit them while they're on the ground just because they shout some expletives at you.

Brunelle deserves a hefty lawsuit to pay for the woman's medical bills. The cab driver deserves a conviction.

I doubt the cab driver will suffer much in the long run, even though he was a tad wicked.

bmontgomery87 11-17-14 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BarryJo (Post 17304652)

Now most people might think an accident like what happened on Monday might have given poor Lucas a healthy dose of common sense with his riding style, but I can assure you it didn't. Here's a video he posted yesterday where he's again riding like an idiot down Alewife/ Fresh Pond in Cambridge, which is one of the most hazardous stretches of road any time of day, add in morning rush hour and rain and you wish the guy driving the van would've gotten out and did to poor Lucas what the cab driver did to him on Monday.

I'm not sure what the typical cyclist does on this road, as opposed to Brunelle, because I'm not familiar with the area or the laws in that state.

If that road were in my city, I would have been riding on the shoulder, and passing cars, (maybe not at the speed he's going), and that van right hooked him. And Lucas was nice about it.