Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   SPD-SL pedals with extended 4mm axel? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1221501)

Senior Vagabond 01-13-21 03:22 PM

SPD-SL pedals with extended 4mm axel?

I have a new Specialized Roubaix with Ultegra groupset. I have always ridden a Roubaix with Ultegra GS and normal axel length pedals (no spacers) but I noticed the new ones I received are with the extended 4mm axel (both sides). I realize the benefits of this for people with wider hips or considerable pronation but that does not apply to me (senior rider 5'11, 160 lbs with small/medium frame). Before I decide if I need to send these back in favor of the normal axel length I would like to hear any comments about this wider axel and whether it would still benefit me or more importantly possible disadvantages of using them based on my size. Thanks.

Iride01 01-14-21 10:59 AM

I don't know what it might mean, but probably those were what the bike shop had in stock when they assembled the bike. I'd be skeptical of changing up my "Q" just for random reasons like that. So I'd be asking them to exchange them for pedals with normal length axles. Especially if you cycle a fair amount of miles every week.

But certainly I'd also be interested to hear what others think about it.

Your pedals are from the PD-R8000 or PD-6800 series? Pedals being a separate purchase from bikes normally, were these a special deal or something?

Senior Vagabond 01-14-21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21877670)
I don't know what it might mean, but probably those were what the bike shop had in stock when they assembled the bike. I'd be skeptical of changing up my "Q" just for random reasons like that. So I'd be asking them to exchange them for pedals with normal length axles. Especially if you cycle a fair amount of miles every week.

But certainly I'd also be interested to hear what others think about it.

Your pedals are from the PD-R8000 or PD-6800 series? Pedals being a separate purchase from bikes normally, were these a special deal or something?

My older pedals are 6800. I got the new ones off Amazon but did not pay attention they were the longer axel. I have not installed the new ones yet so I think I can return them and get the normal length ones. If I want to try a little wider position I can always use a few washers that will probably get me about 2mm on each side. I have also read something about the 8000 series having a little lower stack height???

tallbikeman 01-24-21 10:12 AM

I use 25mm pedal extenders with my platform pedals. As mentioned above pronation can be a real issue. Being a Clyde with size 14 feet this leads to frame strikes with my heels. For a person without pronation issues I don't see an upside to pushing your feet out further. One of the downsides of extended pedals is you start limiting your pedal/lean angle. So pedal strikes happen at less lean angles. If you are racing this could be an issue. I rode and raced earlier in my life without extenders and didn't know of their benefits. Since finding pedal extenders 7 years ago my bicycling experience has improved because of them. My legs feel better and I don't have any joint issues as I duck pedal down the road. I also gave up SPD's partly because of pronation.