Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Do you favor one foot forward for descending? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195491)

Captain_Canada 03-09-20 09:26 PM

Do you favor one foot forward for descending?

Taking cornering out of the equation, do you have a "stance" when descending long straight descents? When you're going too fast to pedal (for me, around 35 mph).

I noticed I default my right foot forward and put my weight on my left leg. If I hit a rougher patch of road and need to muscle through it, my right foot's always forward.

Left foot forward when not cornering feels pretty foreign.

Is it normal to have a preference? Just noticed I do this today. I switch it up cornering but then go back to right foot forward as a default.

canklecat 03-09-20 09:36 PM

Depends. If I'm going for speed and conditions are right (tailwind, sufficiently steep downhill, pavement not too choppy), I'll tuck and set the feet at 3 and 9 o' clock, knees in, etc. There's one particular downhill along one of my usual routes where coasting like that is as fast as, or faster than, my best efforts pedaling with 52/13 maximum gear.

Otherwise I seem to favor having one foot down at 6 'o clock, usually the right (?)... or is it the left? Now I'll need to go ride again to be sure which.

Carbonfiberboy 03-09-20 09:42 PM

My cranks are horizontal, right foot forward. I think my pedals are equally loaded or my cranks wouldn't be horizontal. So level pedals, weight in my feet, knees gripping TT, hands in the crooks, elbows pulled in, chin low, easy to move butt off saddle for bumps.

Johnny Rad 03-09-20 10:08 PM

My cranks are also horizontal; right foot forward.

As for my hand position, I employ Niabli’s pt 1 approach with them in tight near the stem.

Then I add some Pantani with my butt off and behind the saddle with my zyphoid process on the nose of the saddle and chin hovering just above the steerer.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/gea...osition_473015

https://www.velonews.com/2017/05/new...-faster_437636

Seattle Forrest 03-09-20 10:16 PM

Left foot forward, even track standing through a light. Cranks horizontal.

bpcyclist 03-10-20 01:47 AM

I aim for horizontal, but sometimes forget and end up with left at 6 o'clock for extended periods. Usually in the drops when going that fast, which is not that often.

Sy Reene 03-10-20 05:07 AM

Horizontal, with left foot forward. Gives me the quickest access to jamming the coaster brake with my right foot (stronger). ;)

nomadmax 03-10-20 06:02 AM

I had the opportunity to work with Hans Rey on a project once and he gave me some pointers/instruction. His description of the leading foot was "your chocolate foot", meaning which one you like/feels the best for descending or trials work. For me it's my left foot forward, pedals at 3 & 9. I think it's because my right leg is a little stronger and it supports my weight better if I have to hover over the saddle.

texaspandj 03-10-20 06:56 AM

Horizontal, because I think it's more aero.
Left leg in front I think because I generally fight orthodox (and it carrys over to cycling).

Rides4Beer 03-10-20 07:06 AM

Cranks horizontal, left foot forward, in the drops, elbows in and knees tucked against the top tube, no super tuck I'm big enough that I haul down any descent without getting too crazy. lol

noodle soup 03-10-20 07:53 AM

goofyfoot, same as when surfing or skateboarding.

2cam16 03-10-20 07:55 AM

Horizontal,right foot forward.

DrIsotope 03-10-20 08:05 AM

Try to go downhill fast? Cranks level, left foot forward.
Just going down a hill? Twelve and six, with the left foot (usually) at six.

Not that it much matters. On most of the steeper downhill segments locally, my faster times are all on my CX bike... because it has a dropper on it. Lowering or raising one shoe a few inches isn't as productive as moving the entire rider half a foot lower.

Cypress 03-10-20 08:09 AM

Cranks level, right foot forward while in a tuck. Outside foot in 6 o'clock position through corners.

noodle soup 03-10-20 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21360372)
Not that it much matters. On most of the steeper downhill segments locally, my faster times are all on my CX bike...

People still pay attention to downhill road KOMs:foo:

DrIsotope 03-10-20 08:21 AM

Hey, if I weighed 140lbs I'd be out there tackling all of the proper KOMs too. But I don't, and I never will. So I can put my guts out on a climb and finish 550/1,900. On my best day.

Downhill? I'm competitive.

TMonk 03-10-20 08:26 AM

I've had some accidents so I tend to get a bit scared over 35 MPH.... I'll be on the brakes.

Cypress 03-10-20 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21360387)
People still pay attention to downhill road KOMs:foo:

Hater's gonna hate :D

noodle soup 03-10-20 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cypress (Post 21360412)
Hater's gonna hate :D

:lol:

The thing I hate is Strava.

Zaskar 03-10-20 08:52 AM

Everyone has a favored forward foot. I always thought "chocolate foot" was the same as "goofy foot" - just the less common foot forward. But who the %*#* am I to argue with Hans?!
So try this: make a habit of forcing the reverse - when the descent is easy, ride with your dominant foot back. The more you do this, the less awkward it feels... so when you're caught in that position, e.g. mid-stroke, and have to maneuver (bunny hop, hard brake, swerve, whatever), you're more comfortable.

AdkMtnMonster 03-10-20 08:59 AM

Road descents- like most everyone else, cranks level, either foot forward. Mtb- if descending in switchbacks or across a face (uphill on one side, drop on the other) I put the downhill side crank arm forward, to avoid rocks/roots/anything away from my uphill foot so that my line isn’t forced toward the “drop” side of the trail. Also, if I have to stop fast I find it easier to quickly stand on the downhill pedal this way and unclip the uphill foot to lean uphill as I stop, rather than trying to put a foot down over the edge of the trail. Either bike- outside foot at 6 o’clock in corners, a few quick pedal strokes, back to level, or the next corner... repeat til the finish line.

Drew Eckhardt 03-11-20 05:50 PM

Right foot forward.

I wonder if it's opposite of board sports, with goofy footers being left foot forward on bikes.

Captain_Canada 03-11-20 07:30 PM

I'm goofy footed and right pedal forward (I guess also goofy biked). I've been trying to go switch this week more on the bike (thus the post). Glad I'm not alone! It feels like adding some symmetry could be a good thing.

noodle soup 03-11-20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt (Post 21362772)
Right foot forward.

I wonder if it's opposite of board sports, with goofy footers being left foot forward on bikes.

I haven't seen many say they were goofy-footed, but descend left foot forward.

FTR I can longboard switchfoot, but no chance on a 6'4" thruster.

noodle soup 03-11-20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Captain_Canada (Post 21362905)
I'm goofy footed and right pedal forward (I guess also goofy biked). I've been trying to go switch this week more on the bike (thus the post). Glad I'm not alone! It feels like adding some symmetry could be a good thing.

I don't think it's really much of an issue with road cycling, but I have seen some cyclists that were better in high speed lefts, than rights.