Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Second Trip on the Lynskey (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1128073)

gettingold 11-14-17 06:55 PM

Second Trip on the Lynskey

I took my second trip on the new Lynskey R 260 Disc on Sunday. Cold, crisp day, about 32 degrees. I was dressed warmly with a new pair of Gore lined gloves. The ride was going great.

Of the part I remember, the bike rode well again. It didn't feel quite as spry as my first trip but I was riding with 3 faster guys. I had to work to keep up. It still tracked great and the wheels felt fine. Last I remember, we had about 6 miles left. I was going to peel off and ride home alone, the others were returning to the parking field where we met.

Next thing I can remember, I woke up in the ER and my wife was there. I was in a gown. She showed me my helmet was dented and bloody, and said my glasses were smashed. I was bleeding next to my eye, on my forearm and my right knee. I had bruised ribs, a fractured pelvis (2 places), and a fractured sacrum. I also had some bleeding on the brain but I felt ok and had no obvious serious symptoms (blurred vision or intense pain). They thought it would resolve without a problem but would keep doing CTs to make sure the bleeding didn't get worse. My wife said I asked her at least four times how the bike was, and she kept telling me it was fine. A few scratches on the right brake handle but nothing on the finish and the wheels still rolled true (my friends who called her had already checked it out). None of them saw me crash but the asphalt grew narrower where it happened (on a mild downhill) and they told her we were saying our goodbyes at about 20 mph.

The bleeding took a little longer than expected to resolve because I was on plavix for a prior heart issue, but now the ct images look good. I was discharged tonight with a walker and a set of crutches. My hip and ribs are excruciating but the oxy contin is just what the doctor ordered! :thumb: No neuro symptoms at all. I'll take a couple of more days off from work and it will probably be 5 or 6 weeks before I can start spinning on a trainer. Glad to hear the Lynskey is bomb proof although it is very possible it landed very gently on me. :lol:

PedalingWalrus 11-14-17 07:02 PM

Wow

datlas 11-14-17 07:27 PM

Heal up ASAP! Do we know why you crashed?

ridelikeaturtle 11-14-17 07:34 PM

This is exactly for what cameras would be useful! GWS

Bah Humbug 11-14-17 07:40 PM

Uh... that's not exactly what I expected when I clicked into this thread. Heal up, and glad the bike's ok!

f4rrest 11-14-17 09:17 PM

Good grief.

Welcome to the fractured pelvis club.

Maelochs 11-14-17 10:59 PM

Wow ... I am definitely Not buying a Lynskey now. They are dangerous.

John00 11-15-17 12:17 AM

Get well soon!

Cyclist0108 11-15-17 12:22 AM

Very sorry to read this and I hope you heal quickly!

FBinNY 11-15-17 12:26 AM

The best thing you have going for you is your positive attitude.

Glad to hear that both you and the bike are OK, (especially the bike since, they don't heal).

Stay positive, and look at the bright side. Winter's coming, so you won't be losing any prime riding time.

SethAZ 11-15-17 12:49 AM

Holy crap! Thanks for letting us know what happened. I'm very glad to know that you're going to be OK eventually. That really sucks. I'd save that helmet. It gave its life so you wouldn't have to be dain bramaged or dead, from the sound of things.

Also I'm glad to hear that your brand new Lynskey wasn't seriously damaged in this. That would just have been insult heaped upon injury. It's too bad nobody knows how you actually went down though.

Maelochs 11-15-17 07:10 AM

I'me betting one of his buddies pushed him, ... if I were he, I'd see if the significant other bumped up his insurance policy before the crash.

"So he wants another new bike ... so he can spend more time out riding ..."

"Yeah, he doesn't appreciate you. I'd spend the money getting something nice ... for You ..."

"I have an idea ..... "

:D

WhyFi 11-15-17 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 19993695)
Uh... that's not exactly what I expected when I clicked into this thread.

ikr?

Best wishes on the recovery, @gettingold

BobbyG 11-15-17 07:37 AM

Jeez! A speedy recovery!

brianmcg123 11-15-17 08:05 AM

Thank God the bike is ok.

robbyville 11-15-17 08:35 AM

So sorry to hear but happy that you’ll be able to make a full recovery. Take it easy and do what you need to!

bikecrate 11-15-17 09:46 AM

Yikes, what a story. 32 degrees...black ice maybe? Hope you get better soon.

gettingold 11-15-17 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Here's a picture of the helmet. Less than a year old; I had to buy it when a car turned in front of me and I torked the brakes and flipped. No serious damage but bruised ribs hurt like hell.

Bah Humbug 11-15-17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by f4rrest (Post 19993858)
Good grief.

Welcome to the fractured pelvis club.

Oh hey, I had that too!

...awesome.

gettingold 11-15-17 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 19994266)
I'me betting one of his buddies pushed him, ... if I were he, I'd see if the significant other bumped up his insurance policy before the crash.

"So he wants another new bike ... so he can spend more time out riding ..."

"Yeah, he doesn't appreciate you. I'd spend the money getting something nice ... for You ..."

"I have an idea ..... "

:D

You remind me of...me!

SethAZ 11-15-17 02:06 PM

Well thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that you had the helmet on. Some of those dents would definitely have left a mark on your noggin if it weren't there.

Now, show us pics of the scrape damage on the Lynskey. Oh, and there are two ways of looking at it. One way is to be upset that your virgin bike is now blemished, which is understandable. If you do any group riding, however, then your bike now has battle scars that make you even more cool because not only do you have a cool bike now, it's also showing that it gets used. There used to be photography "gear hound" types who'd buy really expensive cameras. They'd feel self-conscious that other photographers would see their un-worn expensive gear and see them as gear hounds, so they'd rub wear marks on corners and otherwise artificially "distress" the gear so it would look like they actually used their gear for more than just feeling cool about owning it.

Anyhow I hope you recover from this quickly. It sucks that you just got your brand new Lynskey and have only ridden it twice now and are out of commission. Speaking of new Lynskeys, I rode mine the first time yesterday morning, and was so excited about it that I went out at lunch and rode it again! I'm about to do that right now, in fact. Btw, last night I swapped out the 11-32t cassette that it came with for a 12-25t Ultegra cassette and a new Dura Ace chain that I sized appropriately. I then updated the Di2 firmware and set up synchro shift. I'm anxious to get out and try it out. With the 12-25t I'll have 1-tooth shifts throughout the whole range of speeds I typically see on my rides, including on shallow climbs.

gettingold 11-15-17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SethAZ (Post 19995277)
Now, show us pics of the scrape damage on the Lynskey. Oh, and there are two ways of looking at it. One way is to be upset that your virgin bike is now blemished, which is understandable. If you do any group riding, however, then your bike now has battle scars that make you even more cool because not only do you have a cool bike now, it's also showing that it gets used. There used to be photography "gear hound" types who'd buy really expensive cameras. They'd feel self-conscious that other photographers would see their un-worn expensive gear and see them as gear hounds, so they'd rub wear marks on corners and otherwise artificially "distress" the gear so it would look like they actually used their gear for more than just feeling cool about owning it.

Photography is another hobby of mine. My gear is older and definitely looks it (canon 7d mark I and 5d II).

SethAZ 11-15-17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by gettingold (Post 19995311)
Photography is another hobby of mine. My gear is older and definitely looks it (canon 7d mark I and 5d II).

Me too, actually. I've got some gear that definitely has that "previously enjoyed" patina on it. My DSLR is, shockingly, something like 12 years old now. It's a Nikon D200. The thing is, it was so good at the time it came out that I just keep using it, not all that bothered by the fact that like 6 or 7 or 8 more generations have come and gone since then. The D200 still does all the things it did when I first bought it, so I'm happy.

Still haven't gotten my lunchtime ride in, and it's like 2:43 PM now. People kept calling me. Gonna sneak out shortly and get at least a short ride in so I don't have to go out after the sun goes down.

WhyFi 11-15-17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by gettingold (Post 19995311)
My gear is older and definitely looks it (canon 7d mark I and 5d II).

Lol - my original 5D would tell your whippersnapper cameras to get off his lawn.

SethAZ 11-15-17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 19995475)
Lol - my original 5D would tell your whippersnapper cameras to get off his lawn.

If you bought your 5D right when it was released then your camera has my D200 by around three months.