Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Club blocking the MUP (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176019)

Joe Bikerider 06-18-19 12:17 PM

Club blocking the MUP

About 45 minutes ago I was getting onto our local MUP from the park. As I approached I saw a big clot of cyclists, I guess a club ride, stopped on the MUP. Some of their guys had apparently stopped to use the restrooms in the park and this main group was waiting for them. There was plenty of room off to the side that they could have occupied. I couldn't actually ride onto the MUP and had to stop and push my bike around this mass. I made a comment about stop blocking the whole MUP and was rewarded by some rude comments and then finally as I got loose and rode away the ever popular "F U" was heard from behind. Well, thanks for making the tail end of my pleasant ride part of your anger. Sigh.

mcours2006 06-18-19 12:24 PM

I might have made a comment given the same circumstances, but I realize that rarely does it do any good, and often elicits the same reaction that you got. There are a-holes everywhere, even in a group of cyclists.

OBoile 06-18-19 12:33 PM

Some cyclists are really good at making us all look bad.

UniChris 06-18-19 12:35 PM

That's really unfortunate to hear. I think everyone can be forgetful when they stop, but usually I see this with small groups of inexperienced adults who thought they'd go cycle on a lark. Maybe I've been lucky but with club type rides and families in that situation, often the first callout or bell ring triggers their leaders / parents to start urging the rest of the group aside, because they at least have the experience to realize in retrospect that blocking the whole path was wrong.

bakerjw 06-18-19 12:59 PM

One reason why I avoid group rides. All it takes is one or 2 morons to put the entire group in a bad light.

downhillmaster 06-18-19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 20984760)
That's really unfortunate to hear. I think everyone can be forgetful when they stop, but usually I see this with small groups of inexperienced adults who thought they'd go cycle on a lark. Maybe I've been lucky but with club type rides and families in that situation, often the first callout or bell ring triggers their leaders / parents to start urging the rest of the group aside, because they at least have the experience to realize in retrospect that blocking the whole path was wrong.

Groups of inexperienced adults out cycling/stopping together on a lark?
Seriously?
Avid cyclists(experienced or not)are more often than not elitist jerks.
Call it what it is please.

fietsbob 06-18-19 01:16 PM

Or bring a lawyer & the sheriff..

downhillmaster 06-18-19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20984811)
Next, time, try to be nicer and diplomatic.

No need for diplomacy in that situation. They knew what they were doing so there was nothing to be solved.

Rick 06-18-19 01:30 PM

Unless you are willing to be assertive than it does no good to complain. If it happens again don't go around. Make them aware of your presence and push your way through. Most of them will move out of your way. Usually one or two will not without some extra insensitive such as bear spray or a taser. I have also used essence of skunk in a pinch. Really I think we expect to much out of others.

shelbyfv 06-18-19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20984829)
Avid cyclists(experienced or not)are more often than not elitist jerks.

Absolutely! You can identify them by their jerseys with poseur pockets, tight shorts and "clod" shoes that cause them to walk like ducks. Probably some $10,000 bikes in the bunch, OMG!!

burnthesheep 06-18-19 01:37 PM

Find a segment for that area. Find multiple people with the same speed/time on that day, bingo. There's your group ride. Snoop their Strava clubs and do some Google snooping. Send a nice message to their admin on their local site.

I've done this before when I came across a critical mass group run on a local MUP. No issues with that. Issue was they took up the entire width of the trail and were strung out for a 1/4 mile, half wearing headphones. No attention to bells to calls.

I did that because I use the MUP that day of the week and time pretty often. It's the only safe way to cross a super busy part of town to get to somewhere I'm going.

The organizer was quite apologetic and promised to bring it up at announcements at the next run. I would totally expect them to contact our bike group if we had an incident where a biker did something stupid. We want to know so the group as a whole isn't looked at with disdain in the community.

caloso 06-18-19 01:41 PM

One reason I avoid MUPs.

rumrunn6 06-18-19 01:43 PM

I've been blocked. I just rolled up to the group & stopped & waited for them to realize what they were doing :foo:

I-Like-To-Bike 06-18-19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 20984852)
Absolutely! You can identify them by their jerseys with poseur pockets, tight shorts and "clod" shoes that cause them to walk like ducks. Probably some $10,000 bikes in the bunch, OMG!!

"Walk like ducks"? Is that a PC synonym for describing an outlier behavior/mannerism that shan't be discussed on BF?

shelbyfv 06-18-19 01:50 PM

^Yep, and they would probably be very apologetic as they made way. Or just ride around and be done. The response to sniping at them could have been predicted:twitchy:

PepeM 06-18-19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 20984869)
"Walk like ducks"? Is that a PC synonym for describing an outlier behavior/mannerism that shan't be discussed on BF?

I think he is referring to the cleats.

downhillmaster 06-18-19 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 20984869)

No.
Why do you ask?

Joe Bikerider 06-18-19 01:59 PM

Yes, I could have been sweeter. But may I just request that groups of riders please get off the path while having your meetings? That’s just common courtesy. Give it a try. Thanks.

shelbyfv 06-18-19 02:16 PM

Come on guys- fess up if you were part of that group. You have some 'splaining to do!

TimothyH 06-18-19 02:22 PM

This thread is great.

A quarter of the people on this thread are full of bluster and another quarter are full of crap.

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 20984844)
Usually one or two will not without some extra insensitive such as bear spray or a taser. I have also used essence of skunk in a pinch.

You claim to have actually tazed cyclists? :lol:

-Tim-

Rick 06-18-19 04:41 PM

No taser on a group of people on bicycles being rude. A taser does not work on a group. You should know this. You need bear spray for this.

I-Like-To-Bike 06-18-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20984941)
This thread is great.

A quarter of the people on this thread are full of bluster and another quarter are full of crap.

And probably some, or at least one, may be one of those characters previously described as someone who wears jerseys with poseur pockets, tight shorts and "clod" shoes that causes him to walk like a duck. Probably boasts about his high zoot bikes and accessories too.:lol:

2manybikes 06-18-19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20984867)
I've been blocked. I just rolled up to the group & stopped & waited for them to realize what they were doing :foo:

When I do that, as soon as they figure out what is happening, they are apologetic, maybe even embarrassed.

MikeyMK 06-18-19 05:54 PM

Not seen such with bikes, but we have groups of runners here, there can be crowd's of them. Ring the bell and they shout ''Biiiike!'' ..and they do move over, but it still takes a while to work one's way through.

GlennR 06-18-19 05:58 PM

All the group rides i've been on avoid the MUP.

We don't belong there.