Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   NorCal Racing thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=906569)

ericm979 08-09-13 03:57 PM

NorCal Racing thread

Post your NorCal racing questions/complaints/stories/brags/threats here.
Suggested by mattm.

Jandro 08-09-13 04:16 PM

Threads with "Thread" in the name = ATM machine.

Looking to get ~2 more races in this season (possibly more if my schedule can fit it) but I have a lot of travel coming up that isn't conducive to brining my bike with me. Cyclocross is a possibility if I can find a reasonably priced bike in the new couple months.

mattm 08-09-13 04:29 PM

Sweet! Thanks, eric.

So who else is doing Dunnigan Hills tomorrow? Any tips besides avoid the potholes?

What about Suisun Crit? Tips??

hack 08-09-13 04:53 PM

I'll be out at Dunnigan tomorrow. It is my first run through, so no valuable information to provide. Will be out at Suisun on Sunday and it will be my first trip there as well.

mattm 08-09-13 05:05 PM

Found this old thread about Dunnigan, I bet most of it still applies, and new race reports will look similar: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nigan-Hills-RR

What ever happened to that Pizza Man guy anyway? I heard he was fast.

UmneyDurak 08-09-13 05:10 PM

Will be doing Suisun. Course is run of the mill four corner crit. Only real thing to be aware of is wind. Other then that wide open corners. I think there are some bumps between corner 1 and 2. My race is at 8 am. :(

Why was University canceled again this year?

Jandro 08-09-13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak (Post 15944672)
Why was University canceled again this year?

Construction on campus.

Racer Ex 08-09-13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 15944661)
Found this old thread about Dunnigan, I bet most of it still applies, and new race reports will look similar: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nigan-Hills-RR

What ever happened to that Pizza Man guy anyway? I heard he was fast.

Phipps don't post here no more.

Dunnigan...just sit in and wait for the sprint. Bring a book and a spare wheel.

Suisan was a fun course. I did it in 2006 in the 3's. Bob's using the same flyer he did in 06 with the same categories. He's very progressive.

caloso 08-09-13 05:25 PM

Pizza Man is too busy drawing Strava pictures to post here.

caloso 08-09-13 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 15944684)
Phipps don't post here no more.

Dunnigan...just sit in and wait for the sprint. Bring a book and a spare wheel.

Suisan was a fun course. I did it in 2006 in the 3's. Bob's using the same flyer he did in 06 with the same categories. He's very progressive.

Goes clockwise these days.

Jandro 08-10-13 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 15944718)
Pizza Man is too busy drawing Strava pictures to post here.

HAHA. And instagramming his cats.

Phipps is a good dude. I've raced a couple of MASH's allycats with him (he won 500$ at the one a year and a half ago... better payout than most actual races). It's always fun when he and the other Thirsty Bear guys come out to those. Can't beat them with speed so we have to beat them at routing. I had to race in the roadbike category because my fixed gear had a brake back then. Trying to keep up with him was pretty impossible in the TT part of the race.

He's somewhat of a local celebrity in the SF area. Him and Rand Miller. Always fun taking their KOMs [or trying to, anyway...] ;)

Beaker 08-11-13 08:07 AM

I'm thinking of jumping back in at Winters. Yeah I know, showing up for the party just as everyone's grabbing their coats.

Jandro 08-11-13 08:47 AM

Jump on in. The water's great.

Racer Ex 08-11-13 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jandro (Post 15946636)
Phipps is a good dude.

You wouldn't think so if you were hanging on his wheel at University. I think I made 4 laps or so then realized I was the only 45+ guy left. Why suffer needlessly?

UmneyDurak 08-11-13 07:27 PM

Suisun CAT4/5
Official: "who is cat 5"
Me: *raises hand
Official: For whom is this first race?

People *aww well good luck, try to hang on. Jebus I raced against these folks whole season, in the same kit! No one else in the field has this kit, either.

Anyway, the important thing is to have fun at races, and with officials. lol.

Ygduf 08-11-13 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 15949954)
You wouldn't think so if you were hanging on his wheel at University. I think I made 4 laps or so then realized I was the only 45+ guy left. Why suffer needlessly?

I TT'd with him to catch up to the Roaster's ride yesterday. I'm fairly certain he's on an altered BMX rig or something. I know he's short, but his back is lower than my handlebars, somehow.

hack 08-11-13 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak (Post 15950343)
Suisun CAT4/5

People *aww well good luck, try to hang on. Jebus I raced against these folks whole season, in the same kit! No one else in the field has this kit, either.

Was in the same race. Fun and fast and the wind wasn't too bad. Positioned myself poorly with about a lap and a half to go and ended up further back than I would have liked. Having done Dunnigan (very poorly and still with lingering pain) the day before, I was happy to just hang in there.

mattm 08-12-13 11:27 AM

Suisun CAT4/5

Cat 4/5 racing is serious biz, how dare you mess around?? =]

People probably thought it was funny but didn't want to break the cool factor of serious faces pre-race. As you go up in the categories people do seem to lighten up a lot.

Was this the official with the walrus mustache? He's a big joker, and when he was working the Salinas Clean Air crit (I think he works for Velo Promo too?) as he was handing out podium cash I said "this is what it's all about!", as I received $20, as a joke. He thought I was serious and said something like "it better not be" or something like that. It's as if only he can tell jokes.

Jandro 08-12-13 11:31 AM

Suisun CAT4/5

trololololol

UmneyDurak 08-12-13 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 15952359)
Cat 4/5 racing is serious biz, how dare you mess around?? =]

People probably thought it was funny but didn't want to break the cool factor of serious faces pre-race. As you go up in the categories people do seem to lighten up a lot.

Was this the official with the walrus mustache? He's a big joker, and when he was working the Salinas Clean Air crit (I think he works for Velo Promo too?) as he was handing out podium cash I said "this is what it's all about!", as I received $20, as a joke. He thought I was serious and said something like "it better not be" or something like that. It's as if only he can tell jokes.

No, it's one that wears (or used to) CAL hat.

Originally Posted by Jandro (Post 15952380)
Why did you raise your hand? I thought you were a) a 4 and b) raced a bunch. Were you trying to troll the field or something?

Original post. :P a) yes, b) yes. I was feeling a bit goofy, from only 5 hours of sleep. lol. Plus I thought it would be funny.

Jandro 08-12-13 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak (Post 15952417)
Original post. :P a) yes, b) yes. I was feeling a bit goofy, from only 5 hours of sleep. lol. Plus I thought it would be funny.

Early morning = sarcasm detector set to: not working.

FWIW I've raced with about the same group of people all the season as well but I still struggle to remember faces (names are pretty much a wash). I'm bad at that.

Jandro 08-12-13 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 15949954)

Yeah he's on a different planet than I am as far as ability and fitness. I've tried to go with him when he attacks... it didn't go well. For me.

misterwaterfall 08-12-13 01:42 PM

You guys down in Cali keep it real

.be

Jandro 08-12-13 02:11 PM

Ooooph. What category was this?

jsutkeepspining 08-12-13 02:19 PM

assuming p/1/2 or p/1 considering how there are pros in the race.