Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Feeling guilty about a new bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170195)

nesdog 04-09-19 10:25 AM

Feeling guilty about a new bike

I've been riding a 2014 Trek Domane 4.3. It's a good bike, no real complaints. 105 drive train.
Prior to this, I had a Giant OCR2 for ten years.

Both bikes were the 'reasonable' choice, not super expensive, just....well....decent machines.

I'm retiring in June..yay! And I'm thinking...."Just once in my life, I'd like to do something outside the box. Forgo the 'reasonable'. Reward myself for 40 years in the work force."

I've had my eye on a Trek Domane SLR7 Disc, a significant upgrade to my current model. Electronics, disc brakes, lighter weight. Yes, it's stupid money compared to what I've done all these years. And yes, I can afford the financial hit. It won't change anything about our retirement spreadsheets. My wife said "Just don't tell me what it cost." Fair enough.

But this nags at me. Is it really worthwhile to do this for an improved frame, probably a pound of savings, some brake advantages and fancy shifting? I do ride several thousand miles a year so it's not like it will just sit in the garage. Yeah, I know it won't really make me faster.

Crap. I hate when "Mr. Reasonable" stomps on my left shoulder.

Barrettscv 04-09-19 10:32 AM

In a word: YES!

After 10 years of restored vintage bikes and sensibly priced carbon bikes, I added a Pro level lightweight & stiff Ridley Helium SLX with SRAM Red eTap and carbon wheels. I did keep costs down by sticking with rim brakes, which saved hundreds compared to disc brakes, which I didn't want.

I have to say the increased pace and ready-to-accelerate responsiveness of a pro level bike is remarkable. Even considering my modest power-to-weight ratio, the ability to climb and maintain pace is significant.

If a first class bikes encourages extra time on the bike and improved health, it's a very good investment.

caloso 04-09-19 10:34 AM

Yes, it is worthwhile.

winston63 04-09-19 10:38 AM

Oh just go for it and forget the guilt!

You're not hurting your finances, you've cleared it with your wife and frankly, I'm betting that you absolutely love the new bike. I'm a couple of years behind you in terms of retirement, and you can bet I'm treating myself to something special when that rolls around.

jadocs 04-09-19 10:46 AM

Doesn't sound like there are any issues other than your own guilt. If you didn't get the bike then what? Does it solve anything? You only have this one life, enjoy it while you can.

fietsbob 04-09-19 10:47 AM

Tastes Differ

Maybe a handmade artisan steel bike frame & fork and fresh Groupset, or just strip one of your existing bikes ..
and sell the extra frame..

Combining N+1 & N -1, so as to keep same type of bike count total the same..

kingston 04-09-19 10:58 AM

You only have one bike? Might as well make it the best one you can afford. Still cheaper than having a whole collection of bikes like some people.

TiHabanero 04-09-19 11:29 AM

Why go half-way with an off the shelf bike? Get a custom frame made to fit your body and riding style. It will be a perfect fit and a one of a kind with little extra cost, if any at all since carbon is priced out there anyway.

When I retire three will be a shiny new Campy groupset on my custom frame along with top end wheels. Off the shelf simply is not good enough as a reward for slogging it out since age 11.

kingston 04-09-19 12:09 PM

I'm with @TiHabanero. Custom everything for my retirement gift when I get there.

Cyclist0108 04-09-19 12:13 PM

My only regret about going custom is that I waited until age 50.

tyrion 04-09-19 12:20 PM

Forum policy mandates no guilt for cycling purchases. Violators will be banned.

caloso 04-09-19 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 20876822)
In a word: YES!

After 10 years of restored vintage bikes and sensibly priced carbon bikes, I added a Pro level lightweight & stiff Ridley Helium SLX with SRAM Red eTap and carbon wheels. I did keep costs down by sticking with rim brakes, which I don't need.

I have to say the increased pace and ready-to-accelerate responsiveness of a pro level bike is remarkable. Even considering my modest power-to-weight ratio, the ability to climb and maintain pace is significant.

If a first class bikes encourages extra time on the bike and improved health, it's a very good investment.

Well put.

MidSouthBiker 04-09-19 01:19 PM

I retired a little over 15 months ago, and kept putting off any retirement present for myself. Finally, I took advantage of the TrekFest sale and ordered a Viper Red FX3. It should be in Friday at the local bike shop.

Some men go through a mid life crisis and end up spending thousands on a new sports car or trade in their wife for new arm candy. I feel I am getting off cheap with this retirement present to myself.

John E 04-09-19 01:23 PM

As long as it will not endanger your future financial security, and assuming it is what you really want, then go for it.

tcs 04-09-19 01:25 PM

"Feeling guilty about a new bike"

I'm sorry. I don't understand what this means.

:ride:

leob1 04-09-19 01:29 PM

Take one for a test ride, see if you can do 10-20 miles.
If you fall in love, send pics of it in your garage.
If at the end of the ride you say 'meh', keep shopping.

Remember, red is faster.

nesdog 04-09-19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 20877111)
Remember, red is faster.

Funny, that's the color I'm looking at.

Thanks for the responses. I will be test riding the bike this week. Right out of the shop I have a couple of climbs and descents so will be interesting to see how it feels compared to my current ride.

bruce19 04-09-19 02:45 PM

This is not a purchase. It's a celebration. So...celebrate. Congratulations.

Iride01 04-09-19 03:07 PM

So what exactly is the issue that has you so conflicted? If need be, consider it your duty to test out whether the new bike will improve your performance significantly.

Keep your old one too. Ride them both equally over time and let us know the results of your study.

downhillmaster 04-09-19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by nesdog (Post 20876802)
I've been riding a 2014 Trek Domane 4.3. It's a good bike, no real complaints. 105 drive train.

Both bikes were the 'reasonable' choice, not super expensive, just....well....decent machines.

I'm retiring in June..yay! And I'm thinking...."Just once in my life, I'd like to do something outside the box. Forgo the 'reasonable'. Reward myself for 40 years in the work force."

I've had my eye on a Trek Domane SLR7 Disc, a significant upgrade to my current model. Electronics, disc brakes, lighter weight. Yes, it's stupid money compared to what I've done all these years. And yes, I can afford the financial hit. It won't change anything about our retirement spreadsheets. My wife said "Just don't tell me what it cost." Fair enough.

But this nags at me. Is it really worthwhile to do this for an improved frame, probably a pound of savings, some brake advantages and fancy shifting? I do ride several thousand miles a year so it's not like it will just sit in the garage. Yeah, I know it won't really make me faster.

The only thing you should feel guilty about is not upgrading the wheels before it leaves the shop :thumb:

delbiker1 04-09-19 03:47 PM

In the end the approval has to come from you

berner 04-09-19 03:53 PM

Just mention to your lovely lady that you had first considered a red Corvette but the bike was way less expensive.

pdlamb 04-09-19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tcs (Post 20877104)
"Feeling guilty about a new bike"

I'm sorry. I don't understand what this means.

Could be the fear of reciprocity. Or am I projecting?

My $4,500 custom bike may end up costing me a Jaguar for my wife.

phuntley 04-09-19 04:13 PM

My brother unexpectedly passed away last October, at only 61. I'm 60. I did wait for Spring, but I knew I wasn't going to wait another riding season. Life IS precious, and how much you have time you have to get that bike is never guaranteed. And of course, you DO deserve it - so let us know how it works out for you!

thehammerdog 04-09-19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nesdog (Post 20876802)

Nice bike but treat your self to a fine and fancy one off steel semi custom with all the goodies. If you love it and can afford it just do it....post photos