Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Why do people want 1x??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1132253)

Abe_Froman 09-14-18 11:50 AM

My response to the OP, would be, 'what's a hill?' I had triple on my commuter, and went literally multiple years without leaving the middle 36 tooth ring. Flat ground removes any real necessity for multiple rings. When my 36tooth ring wore out, I ripped all 3 off, bought a narrow wide 40tooth chainring, slapped that on, and tore the front deraillieur off. Couldn't be happier.

I've got 46/36 on my cross bike. Which is perfect, as I use the 36 for cross, 46 on the road. But really a 40 tooth single on that would be fine, but I might want to deviate slightly from the 11-28 cassette in back. Not much though.

mstateglfr 09-14-18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech (Post 20564651)
The thing I really dont understand is a 46x36. That doesnt make sense at all. Maybe a 46x34 or 46x32 or 48x34 but 46x36 makes me scratch my head. I think its marketing to get you to buy another chainring.

-Sean

my gravel is 46/34 mated to an 11-36 cassette.
the 34t Ultegra ring was $13 on ebay.
It's a cx50 crank and even with the ring the total was $80 for it. Just mention this since it didn't seem expensive to buy a new ring.

medic75 09-14-18 12:18 PM

Okay, I didn't read this whole thing so feel free to rip me apart for covering something that has already been covered.

My mountain bike is an older 3x8. When riding on the trail I typically use the smaller inner chain ring. Very occasionally do I kick up to the middle chain ring. If I had a little more range with a 10 or 11 speed cassette, I wouldn't need anything more than a 1x. This bike is a dedicated trail bike that never sees anything besides single track.

A cyclocross bike is designed for similar use and also doesn't need the additional range that a 2x provides. This is why many current cyclocross bikes are 1x drives.

Finally, a gravel bike is intended for a greater range of use and needs the low end of a mountain bike while also needing the higher end of a hybrid for riding & commuting on tarmac. With cassettes adding more and more cogs, a 2x can achieve similar gears to an older 3x drive.

gus6464 09-14-18 12:42 PM

I just thought 1x was real like steel.

Hondo Gravel 09-14-18 02:19 PM

I thought about going 1x on my MTB then I thought why? The bike functions great as a 3x10 though I rarely use the big ring. I don’t care that it is there or not.

RJM 09-14-18 02:34 PM

I went 1x on my mtb's because I've found that I get much less chain dropping going on with the narrow wide chainring and a clutch rd. My cyclocross bike is a 46x36 and I love it like that. Much of the time I just change the front derailleur and leave the back wherever, and that seems to be a very good gear jump for most stuff I ride on the cross bike. Gravel bike? hell, I just made that a single speed. lol

Metieval 09-14-18 03:35 PM

My gravel/commute/utility is 48/36 x 11-32

I ride my SS a lot which is 50 x 17

my mountain bike is a 1x 11-36

My flat bar town bike is a 1x 11-36

road bike is a 52/36 11-28

I am replacing the gravel / commute with another bike that will most likely be a 46x30 (oval)

If I was looking for a gravel only specific bike for gravel fun I'd be 1x in a heart beat.

Hondo Gravel 09-15-18 12:30 AM

Dang I’m a Shimano fan Chainreactionbikes out of Ireland have great deals on Shimano 1x and making the conversion is easy ( I got the tools :D ) so what the heck I’m going 1x :D

McMitchell 10-26-18 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 20295955)
Gear spacing on a 1X is only noticeable if you're trying to keep pace with someone faster than you are. As someone who rides solo 90% of the time, I'm never bothered by the gear spacing.

I actually read the entire thread which might provide a little different perspective...

I will add my +1 to chas58s.

Being a “little” older dude, I am more about having fun and getting exercise. My racing/ competition days are over. I can see how those smaller “gaps” would come in handy if you are trying to maintain pace with other fast riders. The wider gaps are handy in other situations. I do not have to shift through gears I do not “need” with my 1X bikes.

I have no issue with people who want to race/ride with a pack. It seems to me though that there are many less “serious” bikers who may not miss these smaller gaps. Gettting back to the (Recreational) biker.....As per usual, one has to consider the “environment”, to approach the reality of any situation.

fietsbob 10-26-18 01:35 PM

I like the linear sequence shifting of an IGH even more when It's raining, heavily,
I have on my cycling rain cape , and am rolling thru the shift sequence sight unseen
over a ratio range of a mountain bike works just fine..

BMW motorcycle like engineering..