Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How to spot a fake helmet (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1073005)

maltess2 07-19-16 12:41 AM

How to spot a fake helmet

Is there a way to identify a fake helmet? they made them in China and they seem pretty similar to the real ones. I was about to buy a Pos Octal from a guy and I am not sure if this coudl be a fake

redfooj 07-19-16 01:06 AM

If it's labeled POS its probably fake

CliffordK 07-19-16 01:56 AM

Buy it from E-Bay direct from China, Alibaba, or AliExpress, and you're rolling the dice.

Walk into a bike shop in the USA or Europe and buy a helmet off the shelf, and it is probably legit.

K.Katso 07-19-16 02:17 AM

Those helmets are about 200€ new here. What is he asking for it? If the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

CliffordK 07-19-16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by K.Katso (Post 18922222)
Those helmets are about 200€ new here. What is he asking for it? If the price seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

I'm seeing the POC Octal online.
A few listed as "Race Day" for about $120
And others for about $240.
MIPS may be an expensive additional option.

Hopefully those are legit. Look at the stickers on the helmet carefully, and if they appear odd, then ask for a refund.

maltess2 07-19-16 03:28 AM

Well, I am getting the POC anymore. I found a guy who is selling a brand new Protone, he is selling this because he wants to buy the new Prevail. I am interested in the helmet but he does not have an invoice since it was a present from his wife, the guy seems legit but you never know.

If I receive the helmet and is a fake I thin I can go to the police as a fraud, since I got his phone number. The thing is, How can I determine if the the helmet is a fake or not? chinese fakes seem to be very well made in their appearance.

k_kibbler 07-19-16 04:13 AM

Another poster took a golf ball to his helmet and says it would be difficult to see the damage on it. Authenticity is not the only variable. Buy from a reputable retailer and sleep more soundly.

cb400bill 07-19-16 04:40 AM

Scroll about half way down the page

To Catch a Counterfeiter: The Sketchy World of Fake Bike Gear | Bicycling

kbarch 07-19-16 04:43 AM

Look CLOSELY at finishing and details - the straps, warning labels, care instructions, etc. Absence of secondary labeling, loose untrimmed threads, mis-alignments, excess glue, etc., are generally a dead giveaway. Never mind forgeries, these are signs of quality control and care (or lack thereof) that one should look for regardless, especially if buying second-hand.

cyclebycle13 07-19-16 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by maltess2 (Post 18922249)
Well, I am getting the POC anymore. I found a guy who is selling a brand new Protone, he is selling this because he wants to buy the new Prevail. I am interested in the helmet but he does not have an invoice since it was a present from his wife, the guy seems legit but you never know.

If I receive the helmet and is a fake I thin I can go to the police as a fraud, since I got his phone number. The thing is, How can I determine if the the helmet is a fake or not? chinese fakes seem to be very well made in their appearance.

If you're asking about this, you have no business buying a helmet on ebay.

PepeM 07-19-16 05:51 AM

If you want to save some money, buy a cheaper model. Why would you risk it on something meant to protect your head? I guess 'getting a good deal' is more important than brain damage.

kermie 07-19-16 06:28 AM

Why risk it. Just buy from a retailer and know you got an authentic one.

ARPRINCE 07-19-16 07:00 AM

On the other hand, why would you buy a MUSHROOM helmet (fake or not)? That helmet is ridiculously huge - imho.

SpeshulEd 07-19-16 07:48 AM

It's a POC Octal, not a POS.

They're popular helmets, so they get faked a lot. In fact, I've seen some recently on ebay that weren't even the right colors.

Still, buying a helmet used can be a bit sketchy, as you never know if it's been crashed or not, so I'd be more concerned about that personally.

The Octals are a bad ass helmet and can be found for cheap online from reputable sellers. Just save your money and buy the real thing.

shelbyfv 07-19-16 05:31 PM

IMO, buying a used helmet is even worse than buying used shorts. With shorts you just have the yuck factor. With a helmet, you'll never know if it has taken a hit and has been compromised. Buy your helmet new, from a reputable source.

mcours2006 07-19-16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 18924249)
IMO, buying a used helmet is even worse than buying used shorts. With shorts you just have the yuck factor. With a helmet, you'll never know if it has taken a hit and has been compromised. Buy your helmet new, from a reputable source.

You'd think that people would have enough integrity to discard the helmet if it was involved in a crash and not try to pass it off to another person for profit. It's pretty despicable, if you ask me.

Good to 'see' you here again, shelby, if you're the same one from TN.:)

shelbyfv 07-19-16 07:00 PM

Thanks- been checking in some again. Mods finally got rid of an annoying troll and a couple of the others seem to have calmed down. Miserable heat down here, really inhibits my riding:(

superdex 07-20-16 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by maltess2 (Post 18922249)

I'd be more worried about the helmet being in a crash more than it being a fake. In either case, not worth the bargain hunting. Get a new helmet on sale from the usual places (competitive cyclist, performance, et al) and save the screaming deals for no-name carbon wheels ....

CrankyNeck 07-21-16 07:42 AM

The fact is, most cheap helmets you buy in a department store protect your head about as well as the $250 ones. Now I'm not saying you should buy one of those, but spending tons of money on a helmet doesn't really increase your safety in a crash. Find something from a legit store that you like with a price you can deal with and worry less about the name on the helmet.

WhyFi 07-21-16 08:02 AM

The other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is fit. Helmets and shoes are something that I wouldn't buy online unless it was a direct replacement (brand-for-brand, at the very least, but preferably model-for-model) for something I'd previously owned. YMMV, as some people have greater patience for return shipping, but it doesn't sound as if you're even dealing with an online retailer that would be able to accommodate size/fit exchanges.

sugarbaker 07-21-16 09:01 AM

I also recommend buying a helmet from a local dealer. A used helmet, even if it was just dropped on the floor should go in a trash can. Buying one from someone other than a respected/known shop is foolish and you might as well ride without a helmet if you're willing to take that risk for esthetics. And as another post mentioned, even less expensive helmets are certified to a minimum standard (in the United States, and I suspect elsewhere, but can't speak knowledgably about other countries).

GrizzledBastard 07-21-16 09:59 AM

A helmet simply dropped on the floor is not compromised. In the instance of a simple drop, the EPS does not compress, it flexes, unless there is a 12 pound (give or take) noggin' inside that helmet for the forces to react against. A blow to a helmet WITH a head in it is grounds for replacement.

Marcus_Ti 07-21-16 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by kbarch (Post 18922269)
Look CLOSELY at finishing and details - the straps, warning labels, care instructions, etc. Absence of secondary labeling, loose untrimmed threads, mis-alignments, excess glue, etc., are generally a dead giveaway. Never mind forgeries, these are signs of quality control and care (or lack thereof) that one should look for regardless, especially if buying second-hand.

Thing is...Giro for instance has had models and model years full of helmets with excess mold flashing left over and generally poor finish QC.

Best thing, buy from legit dealers and buy new. Forgers have gotten damned good at what they do.

kbarch 07-21-16 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 18928312)
Thing is...Giro for instance has had models and model years full of helmets with excess mold flashing left over and generally poor finish QC.

Best thing, buy from legit dealers and buy new. Forgers have gotten damned good at what they do.

Interesting. Maybe if one wants one of those Giro helmets, then the thing to do is watch out for suspiciously neat ones. :)

canam73 07-21-16 07:20 PM

I have about 4 helmets in my current rotation, but no fake ones (I think). But now I'm intrigued and want one.

Can somebody post links?