Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fatbikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   380lb man looking at fat bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1141571)

Lcweightlose 04-18-18 09:18 AM

380lb man looking at fat bikes

Hey everyone, brand new member and this is my first post. I have started eating healthy and trying to take care of my self. It seems that doing a bike ride every night could assist me in loosing weight. I have three children and a wife that all have bikes and they ride every night ( I walk) the problem is I don’t have a bunch of money to fork out for a bike. I received a link about a mongoose mountain bike. It’s a 26x4 in wheel with a steel frame. And just wondering if this bike would hold up for a while till I can build up a big enough fund for a good bike. Please and thank you for all your comments and help!

rosefarts 04-18-18 06:23 PM

It's about 25lbs heavier than a nice one. Rides a little rough and will have generally more issues.

However, if you are cruising around the neighborhood at slow speed and just having fun with the kids, it's perfect.

I would be happy to ride dirt roads with it but probably nothing too bumpy, steep, or with fast corners.

It sure sounds like it fits your needs. It's like $250 isn't it? Test ride it first. If it puts you back into a healthier lifestyle, it's perfect.

dabac 04-19-18 02:53 AM

Diet is more important to weight loss than your intended exercise routine.
But exercise is still a good thing.
The cheapest Fat Bikes come w/o front brake, avoid them.
Fat Bikes do great on soft surfaces, but tend to roll and steer heavily on roads.
Unless you ever plan on riding on snow/mud/sand I suggest you look for a hybrid/regular width bike instead. If you get into riding more seriously, there’s ”always” a reason to keep a utility/bad-weather/spare bike around.

Lcweightlose 04-19-18 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 20292922)
It's about 25lbs heavier than a nice one. Rides a little rough and will have generally more issues.

However, if you are cruising around the neighborhood at slow speed and just having fun with the kids, it's perfect.

I would be happy to ride dirt roads with it but probably nothing too bumpy, steep, or with fast corners.

It sure sounds like it fits your needs. It's like $250 isn't it? Test ride it first. If it puts you back into a healthier lifestyle, it's perfect.

Yea, it’s about 250 bucks. And I would just be riding around a fresh paved street at low speeds.. I have been eating very well and have been losing pretty decent weight with the walking every night and the eating right. I was 407 about three months ago. And now I’m just trying to do a little more... I would ride at a slow pace for much longer distances then what I would walk. It hurts my shins after a while of walking ( over an hour or so) but the route we take is about 1.3 miles and if I had the bike I could probably triple that and be happier. I have also been doing a lot of sit ups and push ups and yoga type stuff in the evenings.

PdalPowr 04-19-18 07:58 AM

Let other riders chime in on this as I am a relative newbie.
We larger riders are tough on our bikes especially the wheels.
Keep an eye on your spokes.

It sounds like you are developing shin splints.
I get them sometimes. A good heat rub and massage always helped me.
Don't be tempted to do more if you feel better. You are in luck though.
A bike is much easier on the shins.:)

taz777 04-21-18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lcweightlose (Post 20293552)
And I would just be riding around a fresh paved street at low speeds.

This is exactly what I do on my fatbike. It's a leisure tool for me. Being healthy is more than just the physical side. I find that riding my fatbike in nice weather gives me a real feel-good buzz that sets me up nicely for the next 24 hours. The ensuing mental wellbeing then encourages me to take even greater care of the physical side of things.

One real bonus of fatbikes is that nobody on the streets is angry at you - lots of people stop and stare and give a thumbs up. It's a great feeling!

Ryan Olivas 04-22-18 09:43 PM

If you'll be riding on dirt or plain roads at a lowspeed then I think it'll be okay. Have fun and a safe bike trip with your family :)

lurch0038 04-23-18 09:58 AM

at 6'6'' and 350+ lbs yes I beat the crap out of every bike I own....and so will you. Even the top of the line bikes with original equipment will not last long. What I typically do is, buy the bike I fit on and upgrade the parts as I destroy them. The first thing that will typically break is the seat/seat post then the pedals, chain, free hub, brakes and then spokes/wheels.

chris93263 06-01-18 11:38 AM

how's your progress going? have you made a decision? if so, how's the bike holding up? if you still have shin splint issues, lay down and flex your shins for five minutes. this should make your foot come up toward your knee. do this for a few nights, and the pain will go away.

Leebo 06-05-18 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by lurch0038 (Post 20301632)
at 6'6'' and 350+ lbs yes I beat the crap out of every bike I own....and so will you. Even the top of the line bikes with original equipment will not last long. What I typically do is, buy the bike I fit on and upgrade the parts as I destroy them. The first thing that will typically break is the seat/seat post then the pedals, chain, free hub, brakes and then spokes/wheels.

Looked at some steel Surlys?

lurch0038 06-05-18 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Leebo (Post 20378008)
Looked at some steel Surlys?

It is the only bike I purchase.
I have a 64cm DT and an XXL ICT

Leebo 06-05-18 12:17 PM

Got 3 of them, a 1x1, cross check and a Karate Monkey. While at only 250 lbs with gear, they seem to be lasting fine.

lmtada 07-16-18 07:57 PM

Picked up used Kona Wo. Sturdy ride. Looks like fun. Good luck.
pb43

Dr.Lou 05-16-19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lcweightlose (Post 20291678)
Hey everyone, brand new member and this is my first post. I have started eating healthy and trying to take care of my self. It seems that doing a bike ride every night could assist me in loosing weight. I have three children and a wife that all have bikes and they ride every night ( I walk) the problem is I don’t have a bunch of money to fork out for a bike. I received a link about a mongoose mountain bike. It’s a 26x4 in wheel with a steel frame. And just wondering if this bike would hold up for a while till I can build up a big enough fund for a good bike. Please and thank you for all your comments and help!

I think the bike you're talking about is perfect for what you want. GO for it!!

flieger 05-17-19 08:10 AM

That's what I did, started out on a Mongoose Hitch around the neighborhood. Gradually started riding ditches, vacant lots etc. My intent was not weight loss initially, it just looked like fun with those fat tires. Lost 35 pounds so far, after eight months. The thing about a Mongoose is that it is so heavy you will lose weight and if you break it it's no big loss. After 30 pounds of weight loss I got a used Kona Wo and love it.

Weresquatch 05-17-19 02:36 PM

What's your budget?

darwink1 05-23-19 06:06 AM

It'll be fine man. When you feel you need a better bike sell the goose and buy an better one.

D