Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Now This is a Maddeningly Light Sentence (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166753)

SHBR 02-21-19 08:18 AM

As for the crime, I can only hope this person never drives again.

86az135i 02-21-19 11:46 AM

Since this thread is already way off topic....we should probably make it a helmet thread as well. Here is the perps car that I was able to find on a news site.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4737b2ceb2.png

JoeyBike 02-21-19 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 20804756)
While we are stereotyping entire nations, let me ask what happened to our Irish friend. Did he pass out drunk?

I'm Irish, and not offended by ^this. Try harder! :thumb:

Paul Barnard 02-21-19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 20805762)
I'm Irish, and not offended by ^this. Try harder! :thumb:

I don't get offended by redneck jokes. Hell, sometimes they give me some good ideas.

Digital_Cowboy 02-27-19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 20801878)
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Hutchinson man sentenced in killing of cyclist

The young punk weaponized his vehicle and purposefully ran over the cyclist. How is that any different from using a firearm to kill someone? This one is a head scratcher.

Say what? Two-years for a murder? What was that judge thinking? That driver should be in jail for a LONG time and this judge needs to be removed from both the bench and the bar.

Maelochs 02-28-19 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 20815486)
Say what? Two-years for a murder? What was that judge thinking? That driver should be in jail for a LONG time and this judge needs to be removed from both the bench and the bar.

Did you read the whole thread?

Digital_Cowboy 02-28-19 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20815708)

Did you not read in my first post after being gone for so long that I do NOT have RELIABLE access to The Internet? Plus for reasons that I have already explained in the past, and that I do not feel like going over again. I read and reply to posts in order.

Digital_Cowboy 02-28-19 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20815708)

Because my Internet connection is more stable this morning, I've been able to read more of the thread. And I agree with those who have said that NO matter what the cyclist was accused of having done. It does NOT excuse the young mans actions. This is/was NOT a case of self-defense or even defense of another. This is/was a case of murder.

In the society that we live in we have rules/laws, and part of that is that we are NOT allowed to take the law into our own hands. And I stand by my initial response. This individual needs to spend a lot more time behind bars, and the judge who handed out such a light sentence needs be removed from the bench and the bar.

Maelochs 02-28-19 01:10 PM

@Digital_Cowboy, you sound like a very angry person. Hard to tell over the internet.

In any case, glad to have another BF vet (and U.S. vet) back posting.

KraneXL 02-28-19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20801975)
A little investigation shows that the victim was out on bail awaiting sentencing of r beating the young driver's mother. The young driver was out with a friend getting cigarette and saw the older man riding on the street and decided to get "justice" for himself.

While that does not excuse the actions, it does provide much-needed context. This was not a case of some racist punk deciding to snuff out some "mud person" on a whim. This was a case of an teenager with poor impulse control and a bad temper acting out.

Still deserves a stiffer sentence. Vigilantism is not acceptable... and anyone who chooses to do the crime, should have to do the time.

Man admits to intentionally running down Hutchinson cyclist - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS

Lukone gets 2 years for 2nd-degree murder conviction

KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Driver charged with murder in death of Hutchinson bicycle rider

Actually, it does not. It may satisfy a curiosity, but in fact, its totally irrelevant to the crimes committed: 1) Murder, and 2) vigilantism. A weak DA if I ever saw one.

Digital_Cowboy 02-28-19 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20816462)
Actually, it does not. It may satisfy a curiosity, but in fact, its totally irrelevant to the crimes committed: 1) Murder, and 2) vigilantism. A weak DA if I ever saw one.

I agree with you fully. This person needs to spend a LONG time behind bars for what he did. Also the judge should not have ignored the sentencing guidelines either.

Digital_Cowboy 02-28-19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20816354)
@Digital_Cowboy, you sound like a very angry person. Hard to tell over the internet.

In any case, glad to have another BF vet (and U.S. vet) back posting.

Actually, no I'm not. It's just that cases like this bother me.

downhillmaster 03-01-19 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 20816972)
I agree with you fully. This person needs to spend a LONG time behind bars for what he did. Also the judge should not have ignored the sentencing guidelines either.

They both got what they deserved.
This country needs a little more frontier justice these days and a lot less constitutional whining.

nomadmax 03-01-19 05:04 AM

This story is only relevant to cyclists that already have or intend to beat someone nearly to death with a pipe. I'm good.

Lemond1985 03-01-19 06:58 AM

This guy gives really the lead pipe industry a bad name. Not fair to them.

JoeyBike 03-01-19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20817202)
This country needs a little more frontier justice these days and a lot less constitutional whining.

I'll pass. I'm quite happy with the whining. Teaching civics to kids in school is a good idea as well so they will grow up to whine about the right things.

Maelochs 03-01-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 20817713)
Teaching civics to kids in school is a good idea as well so they will grow up to whine about the right things.

This, over and over. I hate to agree with @JoeyBike ( ;) ) but this is So horribly lacking. I cannot count how many times I have heard idiots blurt out "I know my rights" when they can barely spell "U.S.A." without consulting their "smart" phones, which they are all too dumb to actually use.

We don't have a perfect system, but if used properly, it could be a pretty darned good system ... but if the users are cheats and idiots, no system will work. Thing is, the idiots blame the system, and not the idiots and the cheats. Maybe if people had a clue how things Could work and were Designed to work, they'd spend their energy Making things work instead of whining because everyone else doesn't do everything to make those whiners happy all the time.

Or Maybe we need to develop a virus that attacks stupid and dishonest people .....

Oh, sorry this was supposed to be about bicycles.

I plan to ride my bike later this evening.

JoeyBike 03-01-19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20817825)
...I hate to agree with @JoeyBike ( ;) ) ...

OK, my day has been MADE. I finally won the Internet for one day. :thumb:

Digital_Cowboy 03-01-19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20817202)

They both got what they deserved.

And what happens when the person that is the subject of your "frontier justice" turns out to be totally innocent? You are aware that sadly the legal system far too often convicts innocent people of crimes that they did NOT commit, and even worse have been convicted of crimes that NEVER happened in the first place.

We have the Constitution for a reason, and that reason is to protect the RIGHTS of EVERYONE. The ACCUSED as well as the INNOCENT.

Digital_Cowboy 03-01-19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 20817713)
I'll pass. I'm quite happy with the whining. Teaching civics to kids in school is a good idea as well so they will grow up to whine about the right things.

As much as it pains me to do so, but I have to agree with Joey Bike. Something that does not happen all that often.

downhillmaster 03-02-19 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 20818554)
And what happens when the person that is the subject of your "frontier justice" turns out to be totally innocent? You are aware that sadly the legal system far too often convicts innocent people of crimes that they did NOT commit, and even worse have been convicted of crimes that NEVER happened in the first place.

We have the Constitution for a reason, and that reason is to protect the RIGHTS of EVERYONE. The ACCUSED as well as the INNOCENT.

I don’t know what’s worse.
Our broken legal system or your ridiculous use of boldface caps :rolleyes:

Leisesturm 03-02-19 04:14 PM

Lets face it. Crimes like this are RARE. But if we look the other way and allow these lapses of civil judgement to stand we will see the trend in over the top responses to human interactions rise even more. Isn't the legal system biased enough as it is? It is not a good precedent.