Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Brake Levers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=539564)

jcsulser 05-08-09 03:05 PM

Brake Levers

so I'm building a fixed gear and i want to run a front brake, at least for a while. It's sorta going to be a commuter thing, British racing green, honey B17 etc etc etc fenders. in any case what brake lever would you guys suggest that mix stylishness with cheapishness.

thanks.

jcsulser 05-08-09 03:13 PM

oh by the way i think im going to run the drops on it still.

mihlbach 05-08-09 03:21 PM

The popular thing to do is to use a single in-line lever by the stem. But that setup is suboptimal. I've tried that and it sucks. The lever is never where you hands are. Notice too that a lot of stock bikes that used to come with in-line levers now come stock with hoods...because its better. Drop bars work most effectively when you have a pair of hoods to hold onto. I suggest you buy a pair of tektro road levers (~$25). Install then both and saw off the right lever, leaving the hood. Its cheap and effective. I don't know if its stylish, but it doesn't look too bad. I have that setup and most people don't recognize it as a hack-job. They think that the right lever was intentionally made that way.

http://www.eatonbikes.com/images/med/31181540.jpg

Geordi Laforge 05-08-09 04:55 PM

+1

Although I wouldnt (and dont) take the lever off. The tektros have an excellent spring mechanism so it doesnt rattle or disengage. I dont recall squeezing that lever when riding at all either. Plus, the symetry is more aesthetically-pleasing.

If you have normal hands, get the R200A. If you have smaller hands, the R100A is what you want. The hoods are the same size - the levers on the R100A are just angled a 1/2 inch more toward the bars than the R200A creating a shorter reach.

CliftonGK1 05-08-09 05:02 PM

+ another 1 to the Tektro levers.

I've got them on my brevet bike, and they're really comfy. Like Geordi said, they don't rattle at all; and I ride a lot of miles on chip-sealed roads.
If you can find a pair on Ebay or CL, old (early to mid 90s) 105 levers are comfortable, too.

Tomo_Ishi 05-08-09 05:06 PM

Hey,

How about this?

http://www.paulcomp.com/crosslever.html

I couldn't afford so I went cheapo with a metal file.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...i/KC280178.jpg

Everyone dislike this setup. And prefers to put them in the ... "right" side. My track bar is too narrow I think.

T

jim-bob 05-08-09 05:07 PM

Why would you do something like that? Do you hate things that work the right way or something?

..at least it's on a desk and not on a bike.

jmio 05-08-09 05:08 PM

tektros are on sale for 17 dollars, jensonusa. or at least they were when i ordered them last week

Yan 05-08-09 05:09 PM

Those Tektro levers are knock offs of Campagnolo levers. They are excellent. Cane Creek makes identical knock offs, but sells them for more. Get the Tektros.

Geordi Laforge 05-08-09 05:16 PM

and acetone takes the tektro silkscreened logo off the levers in a single wipe.

jcsulser 05-08-09 05:29 PM

i have a weird issue with symmetry. i might wind up putting a back brake on even if i dont use it just to make it look better. i know some FG riders would flay me for that but oh well...

btw thanks for the reply's i think i'll go with the tektro's, i like em

Andy_K 05-08-09 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jcsulser (Post 8883169)
i have a weird issue with symmetry. i might wind up putting a back brake on even if i dont use it just to make it look better.

I would do that too, although I happen to like using the rear brake too (singlespeed, not fixed).

Cy Trivialities 05-08-09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge (Post 8883113)
and acetone takes the tektro silkscreened logo off the levers in a single wipe.

niiice, didnt even think of that.

mihlbach 05-08-09 07:19 PM

I only have the right lever sawed off on one bike. I have Tektro levers on two other bikes with both front and rear. Considering the price, you just can't beat 'em.

BTW, If asymmetry is a problem, the drive train must really bother you!

jcsulser 05-08-09 10:10 PM

i've gotten over it.

jmlapoint 05-08-09 11:12 PM

I prefer a TEKTRO RL-726 Top Mount Lever on Left Bar up close to the Stem. They come in 26mm so if you are using a road bar with 26mm center section, the lever can sit right next to stem and give good grip access, and an uncluttered bar.

Geordi Laforge 05-08-09 11:37 PM

hoodz > cx levers

fuzz2050 05-09-09 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jcsulser (Post 8883169)
i have a weird issue with symmetry. i might wind up putting a back brake on even if i dont use it just to make it look better. i know some FG riders would flay me for that but oh well...

btw thanks for the reply's i think i'll go with the tektro's, i like em

What you do is mount a bell to your downtube shifter mount (or somewhere on the downtube if it isn't a conversion), then run your second brake lever to the bell. I saw someone with their commuter set up like this, and it was amazing.

glacialreign 05-09-09 10:59 AM

i rate my TEKTRO hoods

jcsulser 05-09-09 11:18 AM

that sounds radical, i need to seriously consider that. wish there was a pic or something.

JacoKierkegaard 05-09-09 01:05 PM

More love here for the Tektro levers. If you're running drops, I'd mount both and run one as a dummy lever so you still have the option of riding on the hoods. That's how mine came, but I didn't like having a non-functioning lever and empty cable stops so I mounted a rear brake too.

palu 05-09-09 02:52 PM

I got the Nashbar hood levers, but had I known about the Tektro's, I would've gone that route.

beerfilter 05-09-09 02:52 PM

Old school, non-aero Dia-Compe 204 levers with natural (brown) rubber hoods would look good on your bike as you describe it. They can be purchased new from Velo Orange for $24 / pair.

bf

jmio 05-09-09 06:29 PM

just installed mine with some nice gel tape, love em!!!

atlascomplete 05-09-09 06:43 PM

Get something with a small lever, like something you can only use with one finger. Those are fun.