Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Tips on mid 90's Athena rear hub service? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1156274)

John Nolan 09-24-18 06:21 AM

Tips on mid 90's Athena rear hub service?

The rear hub in my 95 Marinoni is gritty. Here's a video of somebody servicing it:

Any further tips from anyone?

John Nolan 09-24-18 08:08 AM

More specifically:
How the heck do you hold the pawls in place when you reassemble?

Spaghetti Legs 09-24-18 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by John Nolan (Post 20582624)
More specifically:
How the heck do you hold the pawls in place when you reassemble?

Yes that's the biggest challenge. I have the spring tool that comes with the hub but I found it doesn't work as well (or really at all IME) as looping string or dental floss around the pawls and then pulling out after everything is in place. Don't tie a knot, just wrap around once or twice.I found a thicker string works better than dental floss. Grease on the pawls with a drop of oil added after string in place will help keep the pawls in place.

John Nolan 09-24-18 08:38 AM

Thanks for that! I'll give it a try.

John Nolan 09-24-18 02:19 PM

Got It.
I put a small cable tie around the hub body, and that allowed me to push the pawl and springs into place and leave them there.
Then, when I was ready to reassemble, I slid the cable tie up the body, wrapped a string below it, and slipped the cable tie off. I pulled the string out once the pawls were contained in the shell. Phew!
I wouldn't have had a clue it Spaghetti hadn't chimed in. Thanks again.

Spaghetti Legs 09-24-18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by John Nolan (Post 20583476)
Got It.
I put a small cable tie around the hub body, and that allowed me to push the pawl and springs into place and leave them there.
Then, when I was ready to reassemble, I slid the cable tie up the body, wrapped a string below it, and slipped the cable tie off. I pulled the string out once the pawls were contained in the shell. Phew!
I wouldn't have had a clue it Spaghetti hadn't chimed in. Thanks again.

Glad to help. Sounds like it went smoothly. My first attempt at this resembled a Monty Python skit.

John Nolan 09-24-18 03:52 PM

Well, I spent the entire morning procrastinating, because I imagined myself crawling and swearing across the basement floor like an aging Gollum, sifting through the sawdust with my fingers looking for one of those pawls.

Don't ask me why I could picture it so vividly!

skillasw 09-24-18 10:49 PM

I just overhauled one of these for the first time, before starting it sounded like a cement mixer. It was missing a pawl spring, I replaced it it using a spring from push button ball point pen, it worked perfectly!

Chombi1 09-25-18 01:55 AM

Leave it to Campy to make things overly complicated with those paws and springs.
I'm sure there could have been a way to cast the body (like a hole in the body and a short pivot shat on one side of the pawls) and pawl so the pawl and spring can be retained in place while inserting the assembly into the hub......

Spaghetti Legs 09-25-18 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chombi1 (Post 20584392)
Leave it to Campy to make things overly complicated with those paws and springs.
I'm sure there could have been a way to cast the body (like a hole in the body and a short pivot shat on one side of the pawls) and pawl so the pawl and spring can be retained in place while inserting the assembly into the hub......

Yes it is maddening. The newer hubs have a retainer spring clip.