Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Keeping bike from scratches (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1198576)

Stateguy 04-18-20 09:22 AM

Keeping bike from scratches

Do anyone use anything to protect there paint from scratching

John_V 04-18-20 09:52 AM

Only way I know of is not to ride it,

ckmak 04-18-20 09:52 AM

I usually try remember to unclip before I stop so I stop falling over. :foo:

Rajflyboy 04-18-20 10:03 AM

Frame protector

clear 3m tape

veganbikes 04-18-20 10:08 AM

I prefer riding the bike. If I get a scratch meh so be it. It stings for a little bit but then you get over it and just enjoy the bike.

Doug64 04-18-20 11:12 AM

My wife's and my bike are near the middle. Mine is maroon and has the yellow pannier on it; my wife's bike is the the custom built blue bike next to it. Just be a gentle as you can, but ride it. My wife summed it up pretty well, "our bikes are just tools we take care of our tools but the are made to be used."

The deckhand loaded our bike along with a couple of dozen other bikes onto the ferry. It was either let him do it or not take the ferry.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b9bd800d_b.jpg

Stateguy 04-18-20 11:25 AM

Have you used this tape
was it hard to apply
how did it hold up

JayKay3000 04-18-20 12:35 PM

No, my plan is to get it professionally re-sprayed when it gets too bad, but I do put electrical tape where cables rub or where my heels may hit the frame sometimes and try and keep it nice.

You can get your local bike shop to apply a protector tape as it can be awkward to do yourself.

A decent paint job with a decent clearcoat you'll mainly be scratching the top clearcoat rather than the undercoat and for carbon and alu they don't rust so a paint chip isn't the end of the world as far as frame longevity.

aquiver 04-18-20 01:36 PM

If you lock your bike up, try to position the lock so it won't ever scratch your bike.

Ross520 04-18-20 01:37 PM

Just ride the bike and exercise good judgment. That means being careful when leaning it up against things, servicing (I place a drop-cloth over the frame when I’m working my bikes, and I NEVER clamp my lift to the frame), and don’t let your dog ride it in the rain.

It’s not a classic Ferrari, it’s a bike.

spelger 04-18-20 02:12 PM

I bought my bike to ride. Not to look at.

Olefeller77 04-18-20 02:23 PM

I avoid most scratches on my rides by using a kickstand. Please note that scratches and paint chips are considered more cool than the use of a kick stand by many here. A popular complaint seems to be that sudden winds can blow you bike off the stand' I have been lucky for the last 60 or so years .

rmwesley 04-18-20 02:38 PM

I would so love to be someone who was completely at peace with the my bike is for riding ethos. I've tried very, very hard, but I'm just kidding myself.

So I've put some strips of Effetto Mariposa Shelter on the forks, cranks, chainstay, under the bottom bracket etc. Tape cost a fortune, will most likely be useless, and makes the bike look ridiculously crap.

But I'm happy.

DeadGrandpa 04-18-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Olefeller77 (Post 21425729)
I avoid most scratches on my rides by using a kickstand. Please note that scratches and paint chips are considered more cool than the use of a kick stand by many here. A popular complaint seems to be that sudden winds can blow you bike off the stand' I have been lucky for the last 60 or so years .

I use a "Click-Stand", because every actual kick stand I've ever seen has been ridiculously heavy. Btw, I have a "double" kick stand for sale, Haha.

Thomas15 04-18-20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Olefeller77 (Post 21425729)

Kickstands. My wife swears by them. I swear at them.

Lay the bike on the ground, at that point it isn't going anywhere.

AlmostTrick 04-18-20 03:04 PM

I just use care when riding, parking, and working on my bikes. I clean them often too. They look great, even after many years of use. Same with my cars. Not only do I enjoy having nice stuff, but it pays off when I sell.

ramzilla 04-18-20 08:57 PM

I wrap electrical tape around the bike frame everywhere it gets rubbed from bike racks and security chains.

yamsyamsyams 04-19-20 12:13 AM

On my bikes I put helicopter tape on the downtube and back of seat tube, then inside of fork and back of rear triangle. Makes rocks and sticks sting less, and also much easier to clean! Takes a few careful minutes to apply when clean but have been stuck in for 3+ years now without issues.

Trevtassie 04-19-20 01:34 AM

Every scratch reduces the theftworthiness by 0.0897%.... my bike is down about 35%

southpier 04-19-20 03:04 AM

I've gone all in and scratch-proofed my 2014 LHT with this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex...1812/100569382

but as Grant says "busage & beeswax"

Bikewolf 04-19-20 04:20 AM

Having a bike comes with the obligation to ride da beast.

I’m careful about scratches, of course. But I accept them. Because you cannot avoid them 100%, and ... it adds character.
I do add bits of tape – or a sticker – where necessary but really one has to ‘let it go’ ;-)

TiHabanero 04-19-20 04:45 AM

Titanium. Get rid of your painted machine and get a titanium bike, preferably one that is brushed not sand blasted. Brushed finish can be rejuvenated with a Scotchbrite pad if cable rub happens. It is truly the most effective anit-scratch strategy available if the bike is to be in use.

Chuckles1 04-19-20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stateguy (Post 21425394)
Have you used this tape
was it hard to apply
how did it hold up

I used 3M paint protection film on my new bike this spring. I looked at my 13 year old bike to see where the paint gets chipped. I had enough left to do the old bike as well. I did down tube, top tube (for sweat, and cables on cross bike), seat tube, drive side chain stay, and head tube where cables rub.

It's not easy to do a great job; you get better as you go along. Watch videos on technique. I found that narrower pieces, as for chainstay, are easier to get perfect. Wide, long pieces for down tube etc. not so much. I've got a few permanent bubbles. Try not to stretch the material, as once it's stretched it's not going to fit as smooth.

Its not necessary to protect the paint, but I'd rather avoid having to touch up my new frame. Hey, my 11 year old acoustic guitar doesn't have a scratch, so it's a personal preference whether flaws bother you or not.