Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tubeless Tire Blew Off The Rim (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183225)

Planemaker 09-08-19 08:33 PM

Tubeless Tire Blew Off The Rim

I was installing a tire after I got a flat yesterday (sealant was dried up). Anyway when I was airing up the tire it blew off the rim so, I installed a new tire and seated it and now it appears as though the rim is bent.

I was wondering if blowing a tire off the rim would result in a bent rim?

The bent rim may well be why I got the flat in the first place because, the flat right after I hit a deep rut. I couldn't find any leaks so, I aired the tire up and rode a few more miles only to have it go flat again which is when I discovered the sealant was dried up (I was experimenting with a new sealant which clearly doesn't last as long as Orange Seal).

Any thoughts?

dsaul 09-09-19 03:58 AM

I have never blown a tubeless tire off a rim, so I can't say for certain what would happen. I can tell you from experience that the most likely sequence of events for your bent rim was this:

Hitting the deep rut compressed the tire all the way to the rim, allowing the rim to contact the ground and bend. This also could have pinch flatted the tire(cut the tire by pinching it between the rim and a hard surface) or just unseated the bead and allowed the air to escape from the tire.

Most of my rims have several bends that occurred in a similar fashion. Its the price you pay for trying to find just the right air pressure to absorb bumps without smashing rims. I am usually able to straighten the edge of the rim with an adjustable wrench. It will never look like new, but the tire seats fine.

shelbyfv 09-09-19 06:49 AM

Here is my story of compounding stupid choices. I had not ridden the bike in months and when I retrieved it from the basement the front tire was flat. GravelKing 42. I decided it was a good time to add some sealant but it was cold in the garage. I added sealant, pumped to the 60psi max and set the wheel near a heating vent in the kitchen, thinking to spin it occasionally to distribute the sealant. Fortunately I was in another room when it exploded. The wheel was on one side of the room, the tire on the other and Orange Seal was everywhere. The rim was bent and the tire bead was ruined. Yes, they can explode....

shoota 09-09-19 07:41 AM

Yeah a tire blowing off the rim can bend the rim. Done it with a road tire and tube once before.

TimothyH 09-09-19 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21114214)
Here is my story of compounding stupid choices. I had not ridden the bike in months and when I retrieved it from the basement the front tire was flat. GravelKing 42. I decided it was a good time to add some sealant but it was cold in the garage. I added sealant, pumped to the 60psi max and set the wheel near a heating vent in the kitchen, thinking to spin it occasionally to distribute the sealant. Fortunately I was in another room when it exploded. The wheel was on one side of the room, the tire on the other and Orange Seal was everywhere. The rim was bent and the tire bead was ruined. Yes, they can explode....

Did the sealant clean up? I'd imagine that could be an expensive and time consuming repaint of the kitchen.

I still have sealant on the ceiling in my garage. It blew off at night and dried before it could be cleaned.

Surprisingly, it stained the white paint on my Subaru and took a little while to get the discoloration to go away.

chas58 09-09-19 09:07 AM

Wow, sounds crazy.

I like to seat my tire before putting sealant in it. I pump it high, let it pop onto the bead, and check to see that it is evenly seated before going further. Sometimes they have a difficult time seating correctly all the way around.
(of course skinny strippers make it easy to get a good air seal and harder to blow off when initially installing the tire, blah, blah, blah...).

Be safe out there. At least the blow offs always seem to be on initial install. That could put one in the hospital if you were on the road.

shelbyfv 09-09-19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21114327)
Did the sealant clean up?

It cleaned up pretty easily from the hard surfaces- floor, cabinets, table, chairs, window sills, etc. It did stain the painted drywall. Repaint is pending but for now there are patches of different colors to ponder.

TimothyH 09-09-19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21114539)
It cleaned up pretty easily from the hard surfaces- floor, cabinets, table, chairs, window sills, etc. It did stain the painted drywall. Repaint is pending but for now there are patches of different colors to ponder.

Sounds like a well adjusted and emotionally stable homeowner to me, rolling with the punches and taking it in stride. :thumb:

Thanks for the tip about not leaving cold tires in front of the heat vents!

-Tim-

shelbyfv 09-09-19 03:48 PM

I don't know about well adjusted but I confess I'd rather be out riding than doing home maintenance.;) I have a long list of stuff I probably ought to do, but putting up with cosmetic deficiencies seems to get easier each year! At least at my age, anything I actually get done won't have to be done again....

terrymorse 09-09-19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Planemaker (Post 21113862)
I was wondering if blowing a tire off the rim would result in a bent rim?

Any thoughts?

This thought: There is not enough force in a tire blowoff to bend a rim.

Koyote 09-09-19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 21115361)
This thought: There is not enough force in a tire blowoff cause a rim to bend.

That’s my thinking, too. How is a thing made of very flexible rubber going to cause an alloy rim to bend?

The bent rim probably came first, the tire blow-off second. Even at that, the one may not have necessarily caused the other.