Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   "Fully assembled" LOL (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1110497)

travelerman 06-06-17 07:52 PM

"Fully assembled" LOL

OK, so the company from which I ordered my Pinarello GAN S did not use the word "fully", but "assembled" did not quite cover it, IMHO... of course, I understand why a shipping box requires the handlebars to be detached, the front wheel off of the fork, but I was a little surprised to find the seatpost completely removed, with the wedge insert buried in a plastic bag, and no instructions for assembly.

But here was the kicker for me: there were additionally no instructions about applying carbon to carbon. I am an information junkie, so discovered quickly the suggestion to use carbon paste, but a phone call to the place from where I purchased the bike yielded the response, "you can use it if you want, but it probably isn't necessary."

Right.

The resulting squeaking while putting certain stress on the saddle during the first few test rides disproved that notion - after double and triple-checking the snugness of all bolts, I purchased a tube of Finish Line Fiber Grip, and instantly solved the creak.

Would it be ridiculous, and too much to ask, for them to throw a tube of that stuff in with purchase of a $4000 bike? Or, at least include instructions to obtain some and use it? I guess it's their official tech/spokesperson not understanding the necessity of applying it that really furrows my brow.

Another thought about "assembled" - why is it that this bike, and the three I have purchased from my LBS, all had rear caliper brake assemblies that were so loose, I had to tighten them onto the frame myself within the first ride or two? Just unlucky?

GeneO 06-06-17 08:25 PM

Well I didn't expect detailed assembly instructions for my bike, though the manual had some general info and there was some specific info for the steerer and a few other things. I received a bag of small parts, most of which I was able to identify but there is one I still am unsure what its function is :D )

I have never needed any carbon paste for my seatpost torqued as specified. I understand carbon paste is a bit abrasive and will scratch the post, so if you don't need it... So I think the advice was OK. I wouldn't expect them to provide paste just as I wouldn't expect a bag of grease for a shipped bike with an aluminum seatpost.

They probably shipped it to boxed as they received it from Pinarello, who expect a shop to assemble it and have paste and etc. This could be a good thing, but it also means you need to double check everything like a shop would.

StanSeven 06-06-17 08:38 PM

One big reason for the paste is it helps the sestpost from slipping. It's easy to over tighten and damage carbon and while regular grease works, paste allows getting by with less force.

noodle soup 06-06-17 08:40 PM

shouldn't you be out on a ledge?

nycphotography 06-06-17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by travelerman (Post 19636450)
OK, so the company from which I ordered my Pinarello GAN S did not use the word "fully", but "assembled" did not quite cover it, IMHO... bla bla blather bla

If you don't already know what you are doing, then perhaps you shouldn't have tried to save $xxx by cutting out the local dealer who would handled all this stuff for you.

travelerman 06-07-17 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by nycphotography (Post 19636532)
If you don't already know what you are doing, then perhaps you shouldn't have tried to save $xxx by cutting out the local dealer who would handled all this stuff for you.

Oh, I wanted to - and preferred - using one of my local dealers. But sadly, none of them carry Pinarello, and the nearest two or three that do are at best 3 hour drive (one direction) away, carry a woefully limited array (the one I test drove was one of only two Pinarellos on the showroom floor), and refuse to budge from MSRP.

travelerman 06-07-17 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 19636524)
shouldn't you be out on a ledge?

Shouldn't you be on the bus with the rest of the Middle School kids?

redfooj 06-07-17 04:07 AM

no, this is completely standard operating procedure

mcours2006 06-07-17 05:48 AM

You're complaining because you had to put on the seat post and saddle? Really?

Trsnrtr 06-07-17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by StanSeven (Post 19636519)
One big reason for the paste is it helps the sestpost from slipping. It's easy to over tighten and damage carbon and while regular grease works, paste allows getting by with less force.

What he said. Carbon paste is proper assembly.

PepeM 06-07-17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 19636950)
You're complaining because you had to put on the seat post and saddle? Really?

The seatpost was COMPLETELY removed. :eek::eek::eek:

mcours2006 06-07-17 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PepeM (Post 19636992)

Okay, well, that's different.:lol:

Costco hot dogs 06-07-17 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by travelerman (Post 19636868)
... and refuse to budge from MSRP.

I'm surprised, because you sound like a completely reasonable person.

alcjphil 06-07-17 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by PepeM (Post 19636992)

The seatpost was not removed, it was never installed in the first place. This is standard for almost every bike I have ever assembled from a box. Since I used to work in bike shops and for a distributor, that number of bikes is in the hundreds

PepeM 06-07-17 06:56 AM

Thanks for the clarification, really helps to elucidate the situation at hand.

TimothyH 06-07-17 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by travelerman (Post 19636450)
a phone call to the place from where I purchased the bike yielded the response, "you can use it if you want, but it probably isn't necessary."

Right.

It is right.

Carbon paste isn't a strict requirement and the primary purpose is to hold parts so they don't slip during assembly, to hold the part while proper clamping force is being applied. That's why it is called assembly paste.

Many find that it helps achieve proper clamping force so that a part can hold but many parts hold without it.

-Tim-

Maelochs 06-07-17 08:12 AM

Some manufacturers will supply a tiny "to-go condiment"-sized package of CF paste. it is Certainly recommended, will Not damage the parts, and might prevent damage from over-tightening.

Use it or not as you like, but most recommend its use. A bike shop which thought it was optional would not be getting my business.

It's like saying "You don't have to grease that seat post---possibly the steel and aluminum won't bond, leaving you with a seat post permanently welded into one position ...." Roll your own dice, not mine.

Also ... yes Any bike not completely ready-to-ride assembled should have instructions. Even one fully assembled should come with a manual ... people do adjust and repair things.

I expect a manual with a $30 coffee pot (which nowadays have more computing power than Apollo 11.) I definitely expect a manual with a $4000 bicycle. How about torque specs for that seat-post bolt and headset/stem? Crush a seat post or a steerer trying to get a slip-free grip (in the absence of CF paste) and the manufacturer makes you pay for a replacement?

Not trying to take sides here---but if there is a side it is not the side of an particular poster, it is "consumer" vs. "Vendor." I am giving you my hard-won cash. If you give me the least possible, I will show you, with my next purchase, exactly how much competition you have.

If a vendor decides not to send a manual ("It costs us to print, and nobody reads them anyway") there had best be one online, or they had best send me whatever info i want instantly.

Particularly if I am buying a premium product, like a Pinarello ... I don't want worse customer support than I get at Walmart.

Panza 06-07-17 08:22 AM

When I buy a frame online, I typically get a small packet (ketchup pack sized) of carbon-carbon grease.

It's an assembled bike, not a "fully assembled" and "fully tuned" bike. Expect to put it together and purchase necessary tools needed for tuning and installation. Wheel off the fork and all.
There's a reason why we remove wheels when we fly with Bike Boxes.
The skewers and the wheel can move in shipping and damage spokes.
Double check your brakes, derailleurs, and the truing of your wheels. These things can be tossed around in shipping with little care of the "FRAGILE" warnings.

DrIsotope 06-07-17 08:31 AM

When my wife's bike showed up, the only parts installed were the headset, fork, and bottom bracket. The rest was distributed throughout a series of oddly shaped cardboard boxes. I just assumed his is how new bikes worked.

redfooj 06-07-17 08:33 AM

i got a stack of "manuals" from colnago at home so im pretty sure there is already one with the pina

TheRef 06-07-17 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 19637237)

Particularly if I am buying a premium product, like a Pinarello ... I don't want worse customer support than I get at Walmart.

You get what you pay for. When you're trying to get it online to save a few bucks IMHO you forego the "customer service" experience associated with buying from a local dealer.

fietsbob 06-07-17 09:21 AM

Bikes sold at Pro Bike shops are ready to ride..

Need help? bring yours to one.

TenSpeedV2 06-07-17 10:47 AM

Bikes come partially assembled. We carry Norco and Cervelo. The Norco bikes come mostly assembled. Cervelo is a different story. I have yet to open a box where the seatpost is already in the frame. If you are unsure of what you are doing, take the bike to a shop and pay for a full assembly. Usually about $90 to $100 or so, and you will be riding worry free.

TrojanHorse 06-07-17 11:02 AM

I love it when people test ride bikes at a local shop and then buy online and complain about the experience. :thumb:

RPK79 06-07-17 11:24 AM

Did it come with disposable Allen wrenches like a cheap bookcase from Wal-Mart?