Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   What bike should I buy?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1067974)

SFbikeee 06-12-16 10:28 AM

What bike should I buy??

I want to buy a bike as a gift for my dads 65th birthday. He does street riding and some dirt trails. Not really hills because he is located in Florida. He does about 30mi+.
What bikes do you suggest I look into?? My upper limit is $500, any great bikes in that price range?

Retro Grouch 06-12-16 10:37 AM

Hobby equipment is hard. I think that he really needs to be in on the purchase decision.

solveg 06-12-16 10:48 AM

It's all about the color...:thumb:

longbeachgary 06-12-16 11:03 AM

If he's doing 30+ mile rides I bet his bike costs much more than $500. Get him a gift certificate to Performance bike instead and let him pick out his own stuff.

sevenmag 06-12-16 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 18839380)
Hobby equipment is hard. I think that he really needs to be in on the purchase decision.

^^ This.

But, here is something suited for what you're saying he does. It's a starting point for what to look at. But I'd probably go see the local shops too. Great gift though. :thumb::thumb:

Save up to 60% off new Cyclocross Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom CX Clearance

RonH 06-12-16 12:45 PM

What bike(s) is he currently riding?

John E 06-12-16 06:56 PM

I agree that he should be involved in the purchase, because size and fit are paramount. In your price range, strongly consider used equipment, as well.

John_V 06-13-16 07:03 AM

It's nice that you are getting your dad a bike. :thumb: My wife got me back into cycling by getting me one for my 63rd birthday that started something that she could never have imagined.

He definitely needs to be there when the bike is purchased if for no other reason, the fit. Depending on the type of bike you plan to purchase for him, each style bike has a different geometry which means one bike in a specific style (hybrid vs road bike) and size may/may not fit him properly when selecting a bike the same size in a different style. Also, manufactures often put different components on similar bikes that can also make a difference in a correct fit. For example, two hybrids by two different makers in the same frame size can use two different crank lengths which can/might/may (pick one) make a difference in the reach due to a slight difference in saddle height. In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is order a bike for him online without him riding it first to see how it fits him.

10 Wheels 06-13-16 07:09 AM

Give him the cash.

He is plenty old enough to pick out a bike.

SFbikeee 06-13-16 09:13 AM

Thank you

Thank you for all the responses. I live across the country from him and I do not remember what bike he has currently- I just know it's time for a new one, but he will probably never get himself one.
I know it's important for him to be part of the process, but I really wanted to be able to physically give him a gift when I visit next weekend- my plan was to order one and pick it up and surprise him with it and I thought he could exchange it for an upgrade if he chooses to.
BUT after reading all these comments and my own common sense... I think I'll get him a gift card to a store near him and wrap it nicely so he has something to unwrap. Then he can pick whatever he wants :)
Thanks guys.

canklecat 06-13-16 10:04 AM

Personally, I'd be thrilled with any bike as a gift, as long as I could ride it. But I'm easy about gifts, enjoy surprises and can find a use for just about anything.

But the tricky part about bikes, especially for older folks, is making sure they fit right and are comfortable to ride. That varies for each individual. I'm only 58 but limited in flexibility by chronic neck pain from an old injury. That affects what sort of bikes I can enjoy.

Maybe you can go along with him to a bike shop while he decides on a new mount.

TiHabanero 06-14-16 04:44 AM

Late to the game here, however I have another suggestion for the next time around. Take your pops to a shop, and then another shop, and another. Let him interact with the staff at the shops. This way he will find one that suits him, and a bike that suits him. A gift card locks him into one shop and only their brands and fit. As a serious cyclists, people know to gift me cash 'cause I am particular about what equipment I use.

rumrunn6 06-15-16 01:44 PM

my 2 cents, let him pick it out

leob1 06-15-16 02:15 PM

Do some research on the bike shops around where he lives. Find one that rents bikes. Rent one and go with him on a ride.

obed7 06-15-16 02:36 PM

thanks for what you are trying to do for your dad.. I am a bit older than him and one of my great little pleasures is the riding i do with my son who is going to be 45 soon. Your time with him will be thing he treasures most, time is the one thing we can not duplicate and can never get back.