Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Feet Placement (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1149912)

SoldSpartan 07-16-18 04:46 PM

Feet Placement

How should your feet be while sitting in place with your bike?

pass the peas 07-16-18 06:35 PM

It's typical for the balls of your feet to be over the pedal axle. Your heels should not be rotated too far inward or outward, but relatively parallel to bicycle.

Carbonfiberboy 07-17-18 12:40 PM

Just sitting upright? Off the ground. Maybe your tippy toes touch. At a stop, butt off the saddle, ball of left foot on pedal, bike leaned slightly to right, right foot on the ground.

rumrunn6 07-18-18 01:14 PM

right foot on top right pedal, left toes or foot touching ground. until the light tuns green, then push off with your left toes or foot & pedal with your right foot until the left pedal rises, then pedal w both feet

SoldSpartan 04-25-19 07:16 PM

So let me get this straight how much of my feet do you want touching the ground while seating on the saddle?

fietsbob 04-26-19 10:19 AM

You adjust the saddle height for pedaling not stopping..

If your frame design has a high BB , to reach the ground, you get off the saddle

shift your weight to 1 pedal , and put your other foot on the ground..

Now there is the Crank Forward cruiser.. leg extension is diagonal (no standing on the pedals for hills) ,

but saddle to ground is low, so you can stop and put your feet down.. ...

Iride01 04-26-19 01:48 PM

I agree, if you are talking about when being stopped then the saddle height is not any consideration. If your frame geometry is such that you must get off the saddle, then the height of the top tube is what you need to be concerned with. If the frame was properly sized to you when you acquired it, that shouldn't be an issue.

fietsbob 04-26-19 03:19 PM

In my case , (not the OP) its a Bike Friday, essentially a step through .. Pocket Llama

I stop at lights with a foot up on the curb.. to stay in/on the saddle ..

rando_couche 04-26-19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by pass the peas (Post 20451777)
Your heels should not be rotated too far inward or outward, but relatively parallel to bicycle.

Um, no. It depends on the geometry of your legs. My feet point outward at angles of 10 and 30 degrees relative to the respective knees. If I were to force my feet into line with my bike I'd need surgery in a few miles. Forty years of cycling experience taught me to do what my body says, not what some "expert" says.

pass the peas 04-27-19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rando_couche (Post 20902615)
Um, no. It depends on the geometry of your legs. My feet point outward at angles of 10 and 30 degrees relative to the respective knees. If I were to force my feet into line with my bike I'd need surgery in a few miles. Forty years of cycling experience taught me to do what my body says, not what some "expert" says.

I don’t claim to be an expert. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Im sorry if I gave bad advice. I jumped into this thread assuming the question was about foot placement on the pedal and offered advice I thought was practical and correct.

Not to derail this thread too far off topic, but I am curious about your slew-footed cycling How did you deal with toe clips and straps back in the day? Does your 30 degree heel rub your crank arm? We can start a new topic or discuss this in pm if you like.