Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Burley Taso advice please! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178051)

Bedhead 07-11-19 04:46 PM

Burley Taso advice please!

Messed this post up - please see below

Bedhead 07-11-19 04:48 PM

Burley Taso advice please!

Hi there - the wife and I are avid gravel riders on our single bikes, and want to get a tandem to ride in the country on weekends and do some gravel rides/races on 60% tarmac and 40% gravel here in Canada - not to serious gravel. I am 6’1” and wife is 5’4”. I ride a 58 and she a 50 in regular road/gravel bike frame sizes. There is a used Burley Tosa available right near us that is a medium. The link to the listing is below. Could we make this work for us in terms of frame size and some decent gravel tires? I understand it could take 32mm. A newbie but we have a limited budget and want to join the fun :) any advice appreciated and we know that this will not be perfect but the question CAN WE MAKE IT WORK WELL ENOUGH TO BE FUN AND NOT ANNOYING? The link is here - price is CDN dollars - [QUOTE]You can view the ad here: THANK YOU FOR ANY VIEWS :) As a newbie the forum does not let me post links or pics but if anyone went on Kijiji and searched for burley tosa for canada (Ontario) you would see the bike. It is basically in perfect condition and looks to be around a 2006? They say the frame is 56/54

cb400bill 07-11-19 04:56 PM

Duplicate threads merged.

surak 07-11-19 05:33 PM

US$2,500 new in 2006 -- if it is 2006, since research shows 2005 was the model year that came with Paselas for US$2,200 --and asking for CDN$2,000 13 years later? Likely too small for you and/or too large for your wife, and 32c tire clearance is limited for gravel.

I would be patient and wait for a better deal.

unikid 07-11-19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by surak (Post 21022628)
US$2,500 new in 2006 -- if it is 2006, since research shows 2005 was the model year that came with Paselas for US$2,200 --and asking for CDN$2,000 13 years later? Likely too small for you and/or too large for your wife, and 32c tire clearance is limited for gravel.

I would be patient and wait for a better deal.

+1 to all of the above comments.

To the OP I suggest also using this tool as a starting point for any negotiating of bikes: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=93872

One might argue the prices in there are a bit low/unfair, but this at least gives you an independent reference to set expectations before the haggling begins.

Much easier to haggle upward from the blue book value than to figure how to chip away at an unrealistically high starting price.

Good luck!

OneIsAllYouNeed 07-11-19 06:36 PM

I’d recommend clearance for at least 40mm tires to make it fun. Our team weighs 320-330lb (bike included). We’ve ridden our share of dirt roads and gravel rides. Here are my thoughts on tire sizes
32mm - pavement only. Sketchy on anything loose.
35mm - passable on dry, firm, and slightly damp gravel. Expect punctures, pinch flats, or sidewall damage.
42mm - Fast and fun on good gravel. Need to pay attention on chunkier gravel or unmaintained roads. Sinks into wet roads.
50mm - Still fast and fun. Confidence inspiring. Perfect for all day gravel rides in Summer and Fall.
60mm - A little slower on pavement. Great for mud season or rides with many unmaintained roads.
Pressures for the above sizes are roughly 100, 80, 60, 50, and 40psi respectively. Run the same pressure on the tandem as single bikes for the same road surface.

Bedhead 07-11-19 08:32 PM

Thanks fro much for all these responses -

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed (Post 21022687)
I’d recommend clearance for at least 40mm tires to make it fun. Our team weighs 320-330lb (bike included). We’ve ridden our share of dirt roads and gravel rides. Here are my thoughts on tire sizes
32mm - pavement only. Sketchy on anything loose.
35mm - passable on dry, firm, and slightly damp gravel. Expect punctures, pinch flats, or sidewall damage.

42mm - Fast and fun on good gravel. Need to pay attention on chunkier gravel or unmaintained roads. Sinks into wet roads.
50mm - Still fast and fun. Confidence inspiring. Perfect for all day gravel rides in Summer and Fall.
60mm - A little slower on pavement. Great for mud season or rides with many unmaintained roads.
Pressures for the above sizes are roughly 100, 80, 60, 50, and 40psi respectively. Run the same pressure on the tandem as single bikes for the same road surface.

thanks so much for these response - so helpful!