Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1121014)

Gasser5.2 09-05-17 10:13 AM

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

My grocery store was out of my recovery drink of choice - 1% chocolate milk - but I noticed something called Ripple chocolate pea milk and decided to give it a try. I can't recall the exact nutritional stats vs. 1% choco milk, but I remember it's got the same amount of protein, but just around 2/3 the carbs and sugar. Probably lower in calories too since there's less sugar, but I'm not sure. It also has like twice the calcium, and yeah, twice the price.

So I tried some after my short pre-work ride this morning, and found that while it doesn't quite match the flavor of just opened store-brand 1% choco milk, it's still pretty tasty. Just not quite as flavorful and smooth, but definitely enjoyable. Nearly 6 hours later, and no gastrointestinal problems. And even at 2x the price of choco milk, it's still a fraction of the cost of Endurox. And maybe best of all it will elicit childish titters when I tell people I drank pea milk.

Does anyone have any long term experience with choco pea milk as a recovery drink?

rpenmanparker 09-05-17 10:16 AM

What is it? Don't you think you should have mentioned that?

Velo Vol 09-05-17 10:41 AM

Milk made from peas?

Masque 09-05-17 11:32 AM

I think you'll find plant-based protein to be fantastic. Works a treat. Plus it lacks the weird snotty mouthfeel of milk. *shudder*

Secret Squirrel 09-05-17 12:00 PM

Interesting product. It looks like it is made from yellow split peas. I don't know how I could ride with something that resembles split pea soup with all of it's gas making potential. Too close to the Finnish word "Ripuli" for me.

Masque 09-05-17 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel (Post 19842105)
Interesting product. It looks like it is made from yellow split peas. I don't know how I could ride with something that resembles split pea soup with all of it's gas making potential. Too close to the Finnish word "Ripuli" for me.

All concentrated proteins can cause gas; pea protein is far down on the list of concerns when compared to others, though, like... well, lactose, for example.

TimothyH 09-05-17 12:09 PM

Fairlife is another great product.
Add an envelope of Carnation and it is about the same nutrition as Endurox.

Any mouth coating comes from fat. Remove the fat from milk and the problem is eliminated. I get the same disgusting mouth coating a few hours after eating a hamburger.

-Tim-

rgconner 09-05-17 12:15 PM

You guys are behind the curve, the cool kids are drinking Cockroach milk:

(IUCr) Structure of a heterogeneous, glycosylated, lipid-bound, in vivo-grown protein crystal at atomic resolution from the viviparous cockroach Diploptera punctata

FrenchFit 09-05-17 12:28 PM

I am a fan of Vega Sport Protein supplement post work-out, vanilla flavor, and the protein sources are: Pea protein, Pumpkin seed protein, Organic sunflower seed protein, Alfalfa protein.

indyfabz 09-05-17 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 19841888)
Milk made from peas?

It ain't milk unless it comes from a teet.

Jazzguitar 09-05-17 01:02 PM

How do you milk a pea?

OldTryGuy 09-05-17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzguitar (Post 19842269)
How do you milk a pea?

With teeny-tiny fingers :foo:

Masque 09-05-17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by FrenchFit (Post 19842170)
I am a fan of Vega Sport Protein supplement post work-out, vanilla flavor, and the protein sources are: Pea protein, Pumpkin seed protein, Organic sunflower seed protein, Alfalfa protein.

Agreed. This stuff is great.

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 19842124)
Any mouth coating comes from fat. Remove the fat from milk and the problem is eliminated. I get the same disgusting mouth coating a few hours after eating a hamburger.

Yeah... I don't have this problem a few hours after eating cashews or avocados.

I think you've misidentified the problem.

And the snotty mouthfeel is a separate issue from whatever oral hygiene issues result later.

Milk is gross.

rpenmanparker 09-05-17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 19842122)
All concentrated proteins can cause gas; pea protein is far down on the list of concerns when compared to others, though, like... well, lactose, for example.

Lactose is not a protein. It is a sugar. It isn't the proteins that cause gas anyway. Same in beans. A saccharide or sugar.

Gasser5.2 09-05-17 02:09 PM

Sounds like several here use plant-based protein products post-ride. I'm curious to see how the pea milk does as a post-workout beverage too. Initial indications suggest efficient combustion with a low gas quotient ;) - gotta love a family-friendly recovery beverage. That was another issue I had with Endurox besides the cost - it worked great but holy cow I had to be within seconds of a bathroom about 2-4 hours after drinking it.

rpenmanparker 09-05-17 05:28 PM

I'm puzzled about all these fake milks. What is wrong with the real thing...unless you are lactose intolerant or vegan. The vegan I can't help, but lactose intolerance is not a problem anymore. The Lactaid brand milk products cause no problems and lactase pills work just as well. Why are so many folks looking for milk that isn't milk?

DougRNS 09-05-17 05:39 PM

Do they still make yoohoo?

bleui 09-05-17 06:28 PM

all my life I've been thinking that gastronomic problem after drinking cow's milk was normal. The last 18 months I use plant-based milk for my recovery and it's been a revelation

John00 09-05-17 09:36 PM

I use a combination of yellow pea and soy protein powder as a recovery drink, works for me.

f4rrest 09-05-17 09:57 PM

I've been using Naked Pea protein.

But the most recent batch is almost unpalatable. It has a disgusting livestock barnyard aftertaste.

:shudder:

Ball Bearing 09-05-17 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzguitar (Post 19842269)
How do you milk a pea?

DrIsotope 09-05-17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 19842790)
I'm puzzled about all these fake milks. What is wrong with the real thing...unless you are lactose intolerant or vegan. The vegan I can't help, but lactose intolerance is not a problem anymore. The Lactaid brand milk products cause no problems and lactase pills work just as well. Why are so many folks looking for milk that isn't milk?

This is the question I ask myself every time I go to the grocery store. There's a dozen different flavors of nut juice to choose from, and for a scant $8-9 a gallon. A real bargain compared to that boring $2.50 gallon cow milk. If milk gives you grumbly tumbly, by all means, choose your nut or bean juice of choice.

rpenmanparker 09-06-17 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 19843356)
This is the question I ask myself every time I go to the grocery store. There's a dozen different flavors of nut juice to choose from, and for a scant $8-9 a gallon. A real bargain compared to that boring $2.50 gallon cow milk. If milk gives you grumbly tumbly, by all means, choose your nut or bean juice of choice.

Not necessary. Lactase does the job. And it is a natural product. Why do so many people act like it doesn't exist?

indyfabz 09-06-17 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 19843356)
There's a dozen different flavors of nut juice to choose from, and for a scant $8-9 a gallon. A real bargain compared to that boring $2.50 gallon cow milk. If milk gives you grumbly tumbly, by all means, choose your nut or bean juice of choice.

Day-um! $6 for 48 0z.

https://jet.com/product/detail/b1a25...5-feca57adc7eb

And the peas are grown in France.

rpenmanparker 09-06-17 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by bleui (Post 19842932)
all my life I've been thinking that gastronomic problem after drinking cow's milk was normal. The last 18 months I use plant-based milk for my recovery and it's been a revelation

Fine. Glad you solved your problem. But why haven't you tried Lactaid milk or taken lactase tablets before drinking/eating dairy? Is almond milk ice cream as good as Breyers? Does it even exist?