Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Guys, I need a safe space. I'm #triggered. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1163634)

shoota 01-05-19 06:56 PM

Guys, I need a safe space. I'm #triggered.

A couple days ago my weirdo neighbors put a big beautiful Trek 600 series out in their front yard bushes. Like right in the middle of the bushes. So weird. Well, it was supposed to rain the next day so I went over there and knocked on the door, hoping to talk them into giving it to me instead of letting it rot. i could hear them in there laughing at their TV show, but they didn't answer the first knock. So I knocked again, a little louder in case they didn't hear me, and you know what they did?!? Locked the door in my face! So the rain and freezing ice came down and the bike is still sitting there, taunting me. Thank God it's not my size or Italian, I don't think I could handle it. Thanks for listening.

malcala622 01-05-19 07:03 PM

What you just said reminds me of the movie Matilda.

Teacher comes to Matildas home to preach on the importance of education and the parents just laugh.

I'd say take it after another night if its still there and say it was abandoned.

3speedslow 01-05-19 07:13 PM

Weirdo’s would indeed be their description. Do they know you like bikes? If so, they did it to egg you on. Seems like they don’t care about it(bike) so it’s harm and your torture is their joy.

devils advocate right now.

shoota 01-05-19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by malcala622 (Post 20734041)
What you just said reminds me of the movie Matilda.

Teacher comes to Matildas home to preach on the importance of education and the parents just laugh.

I'd say take it after another night if its still there and say it was abandoned.

But it's right in their front yard..

Andy_K 01-05-19 07:18 PM

Do you live in a suburb by any chance? I've got neighbors who won't answer the door when I knock on it. It's kind of weird.

thumpism 01-05-19 07:22 PM

Years ago some neighbors left their dog in the yard fastened by his collar to the fence in a sleet storm. I redid the collar and tried to rig a shelter for him but while you can remove a cat with no penalty it's a felony steal a dog, great though the temptation may be. Just be aware before you do anything rash.

Just throw some plastic over it.

shoota 01-05-19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 20734052)
Weirdo’s would indeed be their description. Do they know you like bikes? If so, they did it to egg you on. Seems like they don’t care about it(bike) so it’s harm and your torture is their joy.

devils advocate right now.

No, we just moved here so they don't know me. And likely never will judging by their weirdness.

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 20734060)
Do you live in a suburb by any chance? I've got neighbors who won't answer the door when I knock on it. It's kind of weird.

It's a cultural phenomenon.
https://i.postimg.cc/PrZ6qDQv/door.jpg

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20734068)
Years ago some neighbors left their dog in the yard fastened by his collar to the fence in a sleet storm. I redid the collar and tried to rig a shelter for him but while you can remove a cat with no penalty it's a felony steal a dog, great though the temptation may be. Just be aware before you do anything rash.

Just throw some plastic over it.

That's actually a good idea. I could leave a note on it too.

Steve Whitlatch 01-05-19 08:52 PM

Well I know you don`t live in Chicago. That bike would never make it through the night without getting borrowed. :)

shoota 01-05-19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch (Post 20734172)
Well I know you don`t live in Chicago. That bike would never make it through the night without getting borrowed. :)

#truth

bootchop 01-05-19 09:13 PM

dude pay a kid 100$ to take it and go get later on down the road.

shoota 01-05-19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bootchop (Post 20734196)
dude pay a kid 100$ to take it and go get later on down the road.

Might as well steal it for free..

deux jambes 01-05-19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch (Post 20734172)

Same here in Eugene, OR. There’s a “bike security cage” built into the front porch of my apartment. I’ll never use it, especially over night. I bring my bike upstairs with me.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...034b3058a.jpeg

dddd 01-06-19 12:04 AM

The neighbors were probably just having some sort of party where the odors might have presented embarrassment if they had opened the door.

The bike probably needed a good servicing anyway, so a period of outdoor exposure or even immersion would do it no harm.

That said, when my own very cheap (un-sealed hubs) mountainbike was subjected to a heavy downpour while being driven back from Tahoe in a horizontal position in the bed of a truck, I rebuilt the hubs the very next day. As I'd expected, the hubs needed the service anyway as a lot of dust had settled in there.

Maybe at some point you'll run into the neighbor outside and can make him/her a tidy offer on the steel Trek. Look at this as an opportunity!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd77d74565.jpg

3alarmer 01-06-19 12:33 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b857123553.gif

SurferRosa 01-06-19 03:57 AM

Sounds like good, ol' fashioned hate.

Mr. 66 01-06-19 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 20734060)

I've got a neighbor that's says "See you later", so it tell him, "Not if I see you first".

:innocent:

Bianchigirll 01-06-19 07:13 AM

Grab the bike in the middle of the night and put in your garage. Leave a note on their door that you noticed they left it outside and you brought in to protect from the rain and thrives. If they don’t respond they must not care.

Road Fan 01-06-19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 20734178)

Borrowed? Not nearly strong enough!

Road Fan 01-06-19 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 20734034)
A couple days ago my weirdo neighbors put a big beautiful Trek 600 series out in their front yard bushes. Like right in the middle of the bushes. So weird. Well, it was supposed to rain the next day so I went over there and knocked on the door, hoping to talk them into giving it to me instead of letting it rot. i could hear them in there laughing at their TV show, but they didn't answer the first knock. So I knocked again, a little louder in case they didn't hear me, and you know what they did?!? Locked the door in my face! So the rain and freezing ice came down and the bike is still sitting there, taunting me. Thank God it's not my size or Italian, I don't think I could handle it. Thanks for listening.

You could plead neighborliness and move the bike to your garage, assuming they forgot it. Leave them a note in the mailbox with one cookie for each family member, as a greeting and so they don't think it was swiped. If they don't reply you can always say "I held onto it and kept it dry and oiled for the whole season and I told you what I was doing, being neighborly. Any time you want it back I'll deliver it." If they say "we hoped it was swiped!" you can say "here's $50, that's a common CL asking price for an old Trek. Or, with some care it could be worth a lot more, and I can help you get it ready for a profitable sale."

You'll presumably be there for a long time, with those people at your shoulder.

SJX426 01-06-19 07:54 AM

They swiped it and didn't want face anyone at the door while they partied and planned to sell on CL.

Hobbiano 01-06-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by sjx426 (Post 20734539)
they swiped it and didn't want face anyone at the door while they partied and planned to sell on cl.

+1

smontanaro 01-06-19 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 20734487)
Grab the bike in the middle of the night and put in your garage. Leave a note on their door that you noticed they left it outside and you brought in to protect from the rain and thrives. If they don’t respond they must not care.

Heck, you could even service it before giving it back. ;)

jon c. 01-06-19 09:00 AM

That sounds totally bizarre to me.

jamesdak 01-06-19 09:17 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what business of anyone's it is what a neighbor does with their stuff in their yard....

:foo::foo::foo:

RobbieTunes 01-06-19 09:48 AM

Sound like stoners. Forgive me any antiquated term.
If that's the case, $50 should buy the bike.
If not, walk. They'll ask $100 or more.
But they'll be back.

Or, light the front of the house on fire.
They'll go out the back. Take the bike.