Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Almost Bought The Farm Today (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1137523)

Colorado Kid 03-05-18 06:39 PM

Almost Bought The Farm Today

As I was cresting a small hill today, I saw a van out in the grass. Just then, I saw a car sitting in the middle of the road without its lights on! O' no. An accident. Had I been a few seconds quicker, I might in hurt. Has anyone else had such close calls with cars/buses or trucks? :thumb:

mcours2006 03-05-18 07:26 PM

Doesn't sound all that close. How fast could you be going up a hill anyway? Video would be helpful.

mcours2006 03-05-18 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, since you asked...

Last summer while crossing a bridge that was reduced to one lane due to construction I was pushing hard to stay behind the white Civic. The idiot decides to stop in the middle of the one lane, with traffic behind us, to talk to the dude holding the 'slow' sign. I guess I was a bit of an idiot for not paying attention, but if there wasn't that little bit of room to the right of the car I would have crashed right into him.

Sorry no video, just a vid cap.

Attachment 602257

wschruba 03-06-18 11:22 AM

During a fairly windy spring day, I decided to take the long way home after a short(er) day at work. As I was coming around a 90 degree bend in the road, there was a great crack, and a 6" wide, 15 foot tree limb landed right in the middle of the road, about 50 feet in front of me.

Needless to say, I turned around and went home the less tree-d way.

BBassett 03-07-18 06:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got slapped to the ground by a Dodge Durango in heavy traffic on a busy day. Couple seconds earlier and.....

surak 03-07-18 06:58 PM

Last Friday was the second time I commuted the whole way to my current workplace by bike. There's a long climb, I'm on the shoulder bike lane that some car decides to park in, and because I am a bad climber I was looking down and didn't look up until I'd almost run into it. I had just enough time to look back and see an approaching car slowing down to let me swerve around the parked car.

Yesterday was the third time commuting and I made sure my head was up the whole way.

raceboy 03-07-18 11:40 PM

Almost got right hooked yesterday on my way home. It was a really close one.

Koyote 03-09-18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bbassett (Post 20210626)
i got slapped to the ground by a dodge durango in heavy traffic on a busy day. Couple seconds earlier and.....

nsfw.

I'd really like to un-see that.

BBassett 03-09-18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 20213662)
nsfw.

I hit the ground like an overripe avocado.

mgw4jc 03-09-18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 20213662)
nsfw.

But there was a pretty feather!

CliffordK 03-09-18 06:32 PM

I posted one a while ago...

I was cruising down a bike lane.

The car behind me slowed down to make a right turn, I think, and made the turn.

The car behind that one also slowed down.

And the third car didn't.... CRASH

With the first car having made the turn, and the next two still moving forward down the road towards me, I made a quick exit onto the sidewalk.

I think I've had a similar accident happen while driving my Fiat. Stop light turned green. Cars moved across the intersection, but then for some reason stopped, and I heard a CRUNCH behind me. I hit the gas and moved as far forward as I could to try to make my already small car as small as it could be without out the rear end being accordioned.

fietsbob 03-10-18 12:54 PM

I read that when old Phil Wood retired and sold the business he built, that still bears his name, that was what he did with the money..

Bought a farm and it's land..

FBinNY 03-10-18 01:11 PM

IMO the OP and many of these stories don't qualify as close calls any more than getting out of a cab which gets into a collision down the road would.

There are plenty of accidents, and we can be involved, or if arriving a second later, be a witness to, or in another few seconds, not even be a witness (as with the OP), so it doesn't make much sense to read more into it.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-10-18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 20215167)
IMO the OP and many of these stories don't qualify as close calls any more than getting out of a cab which gets into a collision down the road would.

There are plenty of accidents, and we can be involved, or if arriving a second later, be a witness to, or in another few seconds, not even be a witness (as with the OP), so it doesn't make much sense to read more into it.

B-b-b-but posting about drama feels sooo good!:lol:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...FgRmQx_f5h9rKj

Tombaatar 03-13-18 02:18 PM

I got hit while in a bike lane crossing the street with the cross walk on Valentines day. hurt like hell but was able to get up and ride to work after about 10 minutes of pain.

ksryder 03-13-18 02:56 PM

That's nothing - I was in Baghdad in 2004 -- I *barely* missed the sack of Baghdad by the Mongols by 746 years. #blessed