Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How do you feel about riding on the sidewalks? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=982273)

digaz 11-18-14 09:01 PM

How do you feel about riding on the sidewalks?

I know a road bike is meant to be ridden on the road, but there are certain times such as rush hour traffic that I'd feel so guilty slowing it down even further by sharing lanes with a bunch of frustrated commuters going and coming home from work. So with that in mind, is it okay to ride on the sidewalk?

bengreen79 11-18-14 09:07 PM

:popcornHere we go again...

Abstractworld 11-18-14 09:09 PM

i ride on sidewalk only cuz i feel like road is dangerous and i dont wanna piss off drivers because bikes are slow
but then again, im a beginner biker

rjones28 11-18-14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17319881)
I know a road bike is meant to be ridden on the road, but there are certain times such as rush hour traffic that I'd feel so guilty slowing it down even further by sharing lanes with a bunch of frustrated commuters going and coming home from work. So with that in mind, is it okay to ride on the sidewalk?

What about all of the frustrated pedestrians?

digaz 11-18-14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Abstractworld (Post 17319902)
i ride on sidewalk only cuz i feel like road is dangerous and i dont wanna piss off drivers because bikes are slow
but then again, im a beginner biker

Exactly how I feel. I just feel bad slowing down and holding up traffic. I'd love to ride on the road when they're no cars out, but that would be like 3am in the morning. I rather pedestrians be pissed off at me than car drivers. Plus there are a ton of people who ride mountain bikes on the sidewalks with no problems. Pedestrians don't care.

rjones28 11-18-14 09:22 PM

I hate getting buzzed by people on bikes, when I'm walking on the sidewalk. Especially, when I'm walking my dog.

digaz 11-18-14 09:27 PM

But I'd imagine there would be more frustrated car drivers when seeing a cyclists in the road slowing down traffic.

BoSoxYacht 11-18-14 09:34 PM

Sidewalks are for walking.

furiousferret 11-18-14 09:37 PM

There is one block of road I ride on the sidewalk, mainly because the road has no shoulder and cars are going 80+ mph. I typically choose my routes to avoid those kind of roads, but sometimes its unavoidable.

If I named the road to local cyclists, most would nod their head, that the sidewalk is a better option.

dtrain 11-18-14 09:42 PM

Riding on the sidewalk is illegal in many areas. Find some multi-use paths and low traffic streets if the busier ones make you nervous.

68venable 11-18-14 09:47 PM

Sidewalk riding is not only ok but around Houston it is necessary. Do what you feel safe doing and ignore the sarcasm around here.

rpenmanparker 11-18-14 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 68venable (Post 17319998)
Sidewalk riding is not only ok but around Houston it is necessary. Do what you feel safe doing and ignore the sarcasm around here.

Houston is a great cyclng city. Been doing it here for 30+ years. If you would like some street suggestions PM me.

benlees 11-18-14 09:54 PM

Depends on your city. In general, if it is not part of a bike route then riding on the sidewalk is a no-no, by-law wise. Where I live bike routes often go from street to sidewalk then back to street; all signposted. If you are going slow and thoughtfully then most people look the other way if you are on the sidewalk.

TallTravel 11-18-14 09:57 PM

I have no issues about riding on the sidewalk if it'll save my life. I don't worry about slowing traffic, I focus on safety.

Whether mountain bike or road bike, if it is significantly safer during high traffic time with 4,000 lb metal machines driving at 40 miles an hour within 6 inches of my body, I'm going to move to safety.

achoo 11-18-14 10:15 PM

The problems with riding on a sidewalk:

1. No one is expecting something going 8-10 mph, or even faster.
2. Lots of view blocks, driveways, car doors, pedestrians popping out from behind view blocks, cars popping out from behind fences
3. Did I mention none of the pedestrians on the sidewalk, near the sidewalk, or about to get on the side walk are looking for bikes going 8-10 mph or even faster.
4. I think I missed mentioning that persons in cars about to cross the sidewalk, open their door over the sidewalk, pull out of or into their driveways, pop out from behind fences, buildings or other view blocks, are just not looking for bikes going 8-10 mph or even faster.

Team Sarcasm 11-18-14 10:20 PM

Only if the roads are VERY dangerous, but generally:

A - I don't ride those
B - they don't have a sidewalk anyways
C. There has to be no people.

But with that being said, I don't think I have ever ridden on the sidewalk other than coming into or out of drive ways/entrances/etc

TallTravel 11-18-14 10:21 PM

I see 1,000 car doors opening on the drivers side (in the bike lane) for every single car door opened on the sidewalk.

I can see people walking on sidewalks, and slow down to their walking speed, while I pass them.

For my 40 miles of commuting on asphalt roads every day, riding 1/2 mile on a sidewalk when there are no walkers is worth slowing down in the rare case where they're walking in the sidewalks.

Machka 11-18-14 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17319881)
So with that in mind, is it okay to ride on the sidewalk?

If you feel it is OK to break the law and do something illegal ...

If you're willing to pay the fines should law enforcement decide to stop you ...

If you're happy to make cycling more dangerous than it needs to be ...

digaz 11-18-14 10:30 PM

It's not illegal or against the law here to ride bikes on sidewalks, a lot of people do it.

68venable 11-18-14 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by digaz (Post 17320093)
It's not illegal or against the law here to ride bikes on sidewalks, a lot of people do it.

Some parts of town it just makes sense to ride the sidewalk. Youre doing the right thing. Just pay attention. You should do fine.

rjones28 11-18-14 10:39 PM

The law varies from town to town and state to state.

Abstractworld 11-18-14 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 17319917)
What about all of the frustrated pedestrians?

whenever there is a pedestrian, i'll get off my bike and walk by them, then get back on

mox 11-18-14 11:09 PM

Bikes belong on the road, pedestrians on the sidewalk.

dtrain 11-18-14 11:16 PM

Taking a step back, I guess I feel lucky for the bike infrastructure around here.

Machka 11-18-14 11:16 PM

Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean that it is legal. Have you checked your local laws? I've lived in places where lots of people rode on the sidewalks, and it was illegal, and every now and then the local government would crack down on it and fine all sorts of people.