Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1165626)

jppe 02-03-19 12:16 PM

Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

STAPFAM was a regular here for a long time but it’s been quite a while since he’s posted. He was a British Marine and rode both MTB and roads and lived in Great Britain. He had health issues years ago but was riding well again as I recall. Anyone have any updates on STAPFAM?

berner 02-03-19 01:10 PM

I've wondered about the bloke myself.Also 10Wheels has nor been heard from in about the same length of time.

Jim from Boston 02-03-19 06:03 PM

Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??

Originally Posted by berner (Post 20777305)
I've wondered about the bloke myself.Also 10Wheels has nor been heard from in about the same length of time.

I too recently thought about @10 Wheels. I once posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17370769)
…I admire the distinctively laconic posts of that taciturn Texan, 10 Wheels. For example, in this reply to a thread on the Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Forum:

Originally Posted by ericlee (Post 17369926)
80's Vintage Nishiki Olympic. there were a link. i need a bike to commuter 10 miles a day to work. my budget is $100

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 17369934)
Jump on it....

His last post was on 7/21/17.The last post by @stapfam ,2/4/14, was actually a farewell:

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 16466672)
Since the beginning of 2013 several of the older members of 50+ have been dissatisfied with the forum. I myself was one of them and I stopped participating in the Forum.....

I do realise that BF is a cycling forum but the 50+ group had something to offer the older rider that was a bit different to the other forums. The interests of the members is different and as such it was reflected in the content and postings that were made.

It now appears to me that the ethos of the 50+ has gone and it is not a forum I wish to participate in.

So thanks for the many years of enjoyment I have had with you but I think it is time for me to part Company with BF.

Doug

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 18719120)
50+ used to be like the bar on "Cheers". There was a cast of characters like the Deege and Denver who had distinct personalities. Topics were generally related to bicycling or ageing but not always. It was it's own place.

Some people didn't like that. They said they felt like they had wandered into a bar where they didn't belong. Their solution was to change the bar and they did.

Know what? 50+ is coming back...

Originally Posted by (alledgedly by) Yogi Berra
Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

:(

Wildwood 02-03-19 08:54 PM

Some people try hard to put much in,
they expect a fair amount in return.
Often to become disillusioned.
It’s the internet.
Life goes on.
Ride more.

JanMM 02-03-19 10:09 PM

10 Wheels is riding 'bent trikes and posting on Bentrideronline. ----> You are being redirected...

Jim from Boston 02-03-19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 20778056)
10 Wheels is riding 'bent trikes and posting on Bentrideronline. ----> You are being redirected...

2-2-19 :thumb:

MinnMan 02-03-19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 20777967)
Often to become disillusioned.
It’s the internet.
Life goes on.
Ride more.

True dat. Personally, I got a great deal from this subforum for some years, including information and encouragement. But I mostly lost interest and seldom stop by anymore. I'm still riding - more than ever and as strong as ever- but whatever it was I needed here before, I don't need so much now.

Jim from Boston 02-04-19 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 20777967)
Often to become disillusioned
It’s the internet.
Life goes on.
Ride more.

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 20778106)
True dat. Personally, I got a great deal from this subforum for some years, including information and encouragement. But I mostly lost interest and seldom stop by anymore.

I'm still riding - more than ever and as strong as ever- but whatever it was I needed here before, I don't need so much now.

Similarly I posted to this now-closed thread:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 7055901)
Hello to this Forum,

I stumbled upon this Forum from another totally unrelated Blog and I was quite impressed at the volume of activity and range of interests.

I have been perusing this site for afew weeks and I have had several comments to make this so I hope to make useful contributions to future discussion threads, as well as glean from the comments of others.

For me the heady days on the Forums were from about 2008 to 2016 [link], in particular participating in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides [link], which have since disappeared.

I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.

Wildwood 02-04-19 08:23 AM

I hang because:
1. Biking has and will make my life better - share it!
2. C&V interest - good folks here for info + parts
3. Have made some good friends for regular local riding
4. Have made many good acquaintances for periodic regional rides
5. Your posts make me want to ride and go further
6. Your pics inspire me
7. I laugh at your jokes
8. I post in several sub-forums, no loyalty to one
9. Ignore negativity
10. Thick skin
11. Your Bike Sucks
12. Get off my lawn.
13. It's only the internet, almost nothing is real and certainly nothing worth getting upset over.

jppe 02-04-19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 20778370)
I hang because:
1. Biking has and will make my life better - share it!
2. C&V interest - good folks here for info + parts
3. Have made some good friends for regular local riding
4. Have made many good acquaintances for periodic regional rides
5. Your posts make me want to ride and go further
6. Your pics inspire me
7. I laugh at your jokes
8. I post in several sub-forums, no loyalty to one
9. Ignore negativity
10. Thick skin
11. Your Bike Sucks
12. Get off my lawn.
13. It's only the internet, almost nothing is real and certainly nothing worth getting upset over.

And I enjoy seeing pictures of your bikes. They all seem to have that true classic look. Now I'll jump back off your lawn!!

jppe 02-04-19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20777710)
Anyone hear from STAPFAM these days??I too recently thought about @10 Wheels. I once posted:His last post was on 7/21/17.The last post by @stapfam ,2/4/14, was actually a farewell:

Thanks Jim--I'd forgotten about Stapfam moving on.

As some of us are getting more and more "wiser" I worry that some folks who have been major contributors might pass away and we never learn about it......

Planemaker 02-04-19 05:36 PM

What about the guy who organized the 50+ jersey purchase the last few times?

Jim from Boston 02-04-19 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 20779317)
Thanks Jim--I'd forgotten about Stapfam moving on.

As some of us are getting more and more "wiser" I worry that some folks who have been major contributors might pass away and we never learn about it......

Hi @jppe,

Back in 2015, I had posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17888079)
…My own particular, self-appointed contribution to this Forum, other than posting, is to participate in and contribute to the "Chronicles of the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides".

I was particualrly pleased to learn that you participated in the First Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in 2009; my first was the Second.

Jim from Boston 02-04-19 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Planemaker (Post 20779394)

That was @ccorlew who organized it, and @qcpmsame helped with the distribution.

I had once posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19412077)
Here’s what those former jerseys looked like (see below).They were made available by @ccorlew. I don’t wear cycling jerseys but I thought that one was clever, imitating a road sign of the famous US Route 50. BTW, the lady in the photo is @Miss Kenton.

From the thread last year, "50+ the way that it used to be"...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0fb9f2e7f3.jpg

Rick@OCRR 02-18-19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20779842)
I had once posted:

I rode the Devil Mountain Double Century with Curtis several years ago and I still see photos from him and read about his exploits on Facebook and Strava. Someone on facebook re-worked his jersey design and made 60+ and 70+ jerseys as well as different colors but the same basic design.

Rick / OCRR

qcpmsame 04-01-19 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Planemaker (Post 20779394)

I am back at BF, but have no plans to do another 50+ kit group buy. I follow Curtis on FB, but haven’t spoken with him in quite a while. I wear both of my jerseys with pride still, long and short sleeve models.

Stapfam/Doug, I swap emails with him every 6 months or so, he had some serious health issues after moving on, he had drastically cut back his cycling, and was not riding at all the last time we exchanged notes. He got into vintage VW van camper conversion restoration and was finishing up his classic and enjoying going to rallies and jumbles for them. I need to check on him through his wife on FB.

Bill

jppe 04-01-19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20779842)

I had once posted:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0fb9f2e7f3.jpg

Is that Jodie in the 50+ jersey that lived in Charlotte by chance???

Jim from Boston 04-01-19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 20864817)

Is that Jodie in the 50+ jersey that lived in Charlotte by chance???

Miss Kenton from New Jersey

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 18722427)
50+ the way that it used to be

...Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person.

I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts.

Rowan 04-01-19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20863952)

I am back at BF, but have no plans to do another 50+ kit group buy. I follow Curtis on FB, but haven’t spoken with him in quite a while. I wear both of my jerseys with pride still, long and short sleeve models.

Stapfam/Doug, I swap emails with him every 6 months or so, he had some serious health issues after moving on, he had drastically cut back his cycling, and was not riding at all the last time we exchanged notes. He got into vintage VW van camper conversion restoration and was finishing up his classic and enjoying going to rallies and jumbles for them. I need to check on him through his wife on FB.

Bill

One of the real recent pleasures for me was reading this post by you, Bill. How are the family members going with their busy lives? And particularly you... how are things for you at the moment?

Road Fan 04-02-19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20864950)
Miss Kenton from New Jersey

Right up there with Miss K, I would put Portlander Velovixen.

Jim from Boston 04-02-19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20866509)

Well @Road Fan you got some 'splaining to do. I search the Members List for Portlander Vixen, then even googled the name.

Could that be the name of your Bike? Are you one of those velosexuals ?

Originally Posted by Viking55803 (Post 18114778)
As the originator of this thread I've followed it with interest and amusement. Some folks understood exactly what I was saying, others didn't so much read it as read INTO it!...

A well-fitted and finely-tuned bicycle is a marvelous machine and many cyclists come to feel love and affection for these inanimate objects. I even coined a term: velosexual, for those that carry more affection for their bike than their partners!...

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 18115032)
...But I don’t think many discussed “velosexuality” in those days. Last year though, one subscriber “came out” and asked Do you cherish your bike?”.

In several of the replies, the subscribers even “vexted” (velo-texted) pictures.... :innocent:

Originally Posted by Viking55803 (Post 18115100)
I am totally against marriage equality for velosexuals - it's bound to end badly!

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 18115119)
The next thing you know, Boston Red Sox Fans will want to marry NY Yankee Fans. :notamused:

:innocent:

qcpmsame 04-02-19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 20865451)
One of the real recent pleasures for me was reading this post by you, Bill. How are the family members going with their busy lives? And particularly you... how are things for you at the moment?

Hi @Rowan, great to see a post from you. We are doing well, the kids are out on their own now. John is married and just completed his Masters Degree in Linguistics, Univ. of New Hampshire. Looking for a doctoral program, up in New England or Quebec Province universities, and is writing language curriculums and working on a book. Elizabeth is living in Atlanta, Ga, she has her own consulting business and is doing great. We are getting along nicely, Monica's business is really growing and she stays busy. I am busy with work and church activities (men's group and Scouts BSA as a Unit Commissioner.) Parkinson's Disease changed my life big time, but nothing like what you and Machka are dealing with. I'll drop you a PM and my email address here shortly.

Great to hear from you!

Bill

qcpmsame 04-02-19 05:41 PM

@Jim from Boston, velovixen was a member here a while back. I haven't seen anything from her in a long, long time now. Miss K and her husband met us for a dinner back in 2015, when their son earned his Air Force Navigator's wings, here at NAS Pensacola, FL. Not sure if she is still active, no posts from her in a good while either.

We need to get up for a longer ride, I enjoyed our short but cold ride up in Boston's suburbs a few years ago, with the Jim Muller and all of the others in that area. Next time we are up in New Hampshire to see our son and daughter-in-law I'll get in touch for some miles with y'all.

Bill

Jim from Boston 04-03-19 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 20866509)

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20866727)
Well @Road Fan you got some 'splaining to do. I search the Members List for Portlander Vixen, then even googled the name.

Could that be the name of your Bike? Are you one of those velosexuals ?

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20866832)
@Jim from Boston, velovixen was a member here a while back. I haven't seen anything from her in a long, long time now.

Miss K and her husband met us for a dinner back in 2015, when their son earned his Air Force Navigator's wings, here at NAS Pensacola, FL. Not sure if she is still active, no posts from her in a good while either.

We need to get up for a longer ride, I enjoyed our short but cold ride up in Boston's suburbs a few years ago, with the Jim Muller and all of the others in that area.

Next time we are up in New Hampshire to see our son and daughter-in-law I'll get in touch for some miles with y'all

Bill

So, @Road Fan, I owe you an apology. The name velovixen sure sounds alluring, and I looked (her) up on the Members List…only one post in 2010!

Originally Posted by velovixen (Post 11853319)
Whats more important

The chainring and bottom bracket are more important than the cranks. Yes, Campys and Sugino 75s look cool, but if you use them with a cheap BB or chainring, you've wasted your money.

Well, if that’s your type. :foo:

And @qcpmsame, like for @Rowan, your post was a pleasant surprise. I remember well that group ride, and it was duly noted on the Metro Boston Regional Discussion thread

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 19530674)
He! Bill understates the experience. We all enjoyed it!

As he said, qcpmsame, Ghazmh, Jim from Boston, and my sweetie/stoker and myself did a nice ride in misty and sometimes rainy weather.

JFB had to bail out a bit early and the rest of us rolled on for a nice 25 mile run through the northwestern suburbs.

L to R: JfB, q, my sweetie Sharon, me (staring at my smarf watch to trigger the camera), Ghaz.

A bit of C&V (q's gorgeous Medici and our tandem) and a bit of hypermodernism (G's Soma and JfB's something that I've forgotten - duh, must be the beer).

Yeah, we got a bit wet and the bikes got a bit dirty. But we had great ride and it was a real pleasure to meet everyone. :thumb:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a48b656f37.jpg

I have posted to all BF suscribers,and I repeat especially for you, Bill:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17884654)
...Please feel free to PM me for any details. I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or a bike], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time.

Road Fan 04-03-19 11:03 AM

I suppose it may have been a while, but you found the right one. A lot of good posts on vintage bikes, as I recall, maybe not so much in 50+.

How about Solveg?