Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bob Jackson / anger management (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1192176)

Insidious C. 01-18-20 07:19 PM

Bob Jackson / anger management

I wish I could say this does not piss me off.

This morning:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...67fef89802.jpg

This afternoon:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...43bc544cb6.jpg

gugie 01-18-20 07:26 PM

Yeah, it happens.

Honestly, $420 is probably a fair price. Looks like a bin build, so you're really paying for the frame.

PilotFishBob 01-18-20 07:58 PM

I paid $300 for a frame/fork with Campag NR bottom bracket and headset and consider that a really great deal. But yeah, that sequence would frost my posterior as well...

nlerner 01-18-20 08:00 PM

Flippah fresh!

Lascauxcaveman 01-18-20 08:32 PM

Oh, heck. I would do it myself. It'd be easy enough on a nice bike that's not my size. Buy low, sell high, price the market will bear, blah blah blah.

I'd probably wait a few weeks to re-list it so as to not appear so crass, though. Or hold it until spring and ask an even 5 bills. :D

mstateglfr 01-18-20 08:35 PM

It doesnt annoy me because it's being offered for a price that is at least halfway reasonable. It may be high, but it doesnt seem excessive.
The 1st sale price is absurdly low and that sort of data point should be ignored.

repechage 01-18-20 09:02 PM

I was expecting a thread on the bottom bracket threading.

Drillium Dude 01-18-20 09:17 PM

Well, if the first guy was dense enough to let it go for fitty bux...

DD

RiddleOfSteel 01-18-20 09:28 PM

I understand the annoyance. If the $50 sale had been somewhere else or just simply private, we would have looked at the $420-priced ad and gone, ok, and not thought much more of it.

CliffordK 01-18-20 09:35 PM

I suppose I find zero added value flippers annoying.

On the other hand, if it was a pile of parts, or a rusty hulk that took a full restoration, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Still, what an odd build... needs some work?

I just hope that flipper didn't try to dicker with the seller... offer $25 on the bike?

jdawginsc 01-18-20 09:59 PM

I would be more upset if a buyer talked me down because they were going to ride it and give it love, and I was stupid enough to lower the price because it would be ridden by the buyer, only to see it posted soon after.

But I guess that is the risk in selling...

RobbieTunes 01-18-20 10:06 PM

First buyer got a smoking deal, next buyer, probably not so much.

norcalmike 01-18-20 10:14 PM

Someone scored a killer deal and may make a few bucks.
Good for them.

SurferRosa 01-18-20 11:14 PM

That stem and rear mech look absurd.

scarlson 01-18-20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdawginsc (Post 21290201)
I would be more upset if a buyer talked me down because they were going to ride it and give it love, and I was stupid enough to lower the price because it would be ridden by the buyer, only to see it posted soon after.

But I guess that is the risk in selling...

I've had this happen to me, with SAAB parts. The flipper acted like he wanted to be friends and talked up the community and stuff, so I let some things go for cheap, thinking he needed them, then I saw my parts a week later for double the price on some forum classifieds. Felt awful. I think he knew he couldn't do that more than once, because I never heard from him again. I sure talked about him, though!! I didn't want him to sell a dad-blamed thing to anyone I knew. That and the tax man have kind of taken the fun out of selling anything anymore.

bulgie 01-19-20 02:46 AM

I once bought a 1933 Excelsior from Goodwill for $110, then flipped it it for $350, thought I was pretty sly. Then the guy I sold it to (who worked for Campagnolo USA at the time) traded the bike for a Ferrari engine. Found out later I could have sold just the fenders off the Excelsior for $350. My ignorance, my fault.

This was before the internet, so info was harder to come by.

I kept my other '33 Excelsior, the one that I paid $10 for, which is my size. (The seller wanted $15 but I talked him down!) The one I flipped was in much better condition (almost mint) but too small for me.
Mine:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e1d2267e34.jpg
(Apologies for the photo from the left. I really should take a proper right-side pic!)

iab 01-19-20 04:11 AM

Oh great. Yet another I hate what someone did before I got the chance to do the same thread.

So what's there to hate? The likely taking advantage of the ignorance of the original seller? The subsequent high price? The timing of it all? All of it?

Johnnybikes 01-19-20 07:06 AM

The guy got a great deal, and now he's making some money. Everyone here does the same thing, buy low sell high, it's business. I only buy bikes at low prices, never retail, but my problem is I never manage to really sell any. I'm always looking for that person getting rid of there old dirty bikes.

xiaoman1 01-19-20 07:36 AM

Well, at least they posted a drive side picture.:p
Ben

dedhed 01-19-20 09:07 AM

Someone was in the right place at the right time. I'd have done the same thing... but I would have cleaned and lubed, replaced consumables as needed, especially given my likely profit margin.

Narhay 01-19-20 09:08 AM

The flipper adjusted the top tube to be horizontal again. That's worth the price of admission.

jeirvine 01-19-20 09:53 AM

Now we know the actual cash value of a drive side pic: $370.

UKFan4Sure 01-19-20 10:21 AM

1. Early Bird Gets the Worm
2. Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You Lose

UKFan4Sure 01-19-20 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 21290492)
Someone was in the right place at the right time. I'd have done the same thing... but I would have cleaned and lubed, replaced consumables as needed, especially given my likely profit margin.

Why? That only narrows your profit margin.

3alarmer 01-19-20 10:33 AM

...I don't get it ? It's two miles closer to you now.