Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Tennis racquet wrap/grip on h'bars? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=124996)

alexx 07-26-05 12:01 AM

Tennis racquet wrap/grip on h'bars?

hi folks,

my question isn't specific to fixed/ss, but this is where the macguyvers hang out, so this is where i'm posting it.

how come you never hear of people using tennis grips instead of bar tape? there are some beautiful leather wraps for cheap--why not put em on your bike?

and what about old inner tubes? they feel super comfy and look cool. why don't i see that around?

and while i'm at it--what kind of grips/wrap do i put on a flat bar to match an antique-brown brooks?

gracias,
a

bodegabandit 07-26-05 12:07 AM

and what about old inner tubes? they feel super comfy and look cool. why don't i see that around?
I know a guy who does that on his track bike. But your right he is the mcguyver type.

phidauex 07-26-05 12:11 AM

I went to look for tennis wrap a few weeks ago, and couldn't find anything better and cheaper than Cinelli cork tape on sale from Nashbar. Everything was way more expensive, or you'd have to buy two or three packages to do up a set of bars.

Hockey stick tape is an exception though, 99 cents a roll, and makes a good alternative to cloth tape, though it gets dirty FAST if you get the white. I recommend black. :)

Innertube would probably work, but its a little 'rubbery', I don't know how to describe it, but I think that gummy property would be a bad thing... Maybe innertube, then hockey tape on top to hold it all together... Hmm....

peace,
sam

sloppy robot 07-26-05 12:21 AM

hockey tape would kinda be a drag i think.. it gets sticky shiz all over your hands..un less theyve improved it in the last 10 years

gnat 07-26-05 01:09 AM

tourna grip is the ****. i use it to wrap my raquets. however, it wears rather fast. bar tape will last you longer.

crushkilldstroy 07-26-05 02:06 AM

yeah, pretty much any raquet tape will wear faster than bar tape. at least that's my drunken 3am assumption.

alexx 07-26-05 08:43 AM

useful info all around. thanks everyone!
a

chzman 07-26-05 08:52 AM

use old leather belts to match a brooks

Ya Tu Sabes 07-26-05 01:19 PM

Inner tube is a'ight, but it kinda rubs off and leaves schmutzy rubbery black residue on your hands.

erikinop 06-23-08 06:02 AM

both hockey tape (stick/grip tape) and inner tube work....

if you like getting off your bike with sticky black hands.

only inner tube will work if you like black hands plus not being able to grip the bars while riding in the rain/if they get wet.

if you are really in a bind, go for the stick/hockey tape and try to pre-rub the tape a bit to remove the adhesive a bit. it grips tight and holds up beautifully in the rain though.

idiq 06-23-08 06:16 AM

Yeah Bump! Three Years Ain't Nothing.

~Stuart~ 06-23-08 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ya Tu Sabes (Post 1405095)
Inner tube is a'ight, but it kinda rubs off and leaves schmutzy rubbery black residue on your hands.

+1

extremenergy3 06-23-08 11:38 AM

I wrapped my drop bars with wilson white grip tape. It got noticably dirty in 3 weeks :p But they're still working great! I just had a lot of grip tape left since I don't play tennis as much anymore

soul05 06-23-08 11:44 AM

i used some pleather type material to wrap my handlebars cuz i had some left over after i reupholstered my bike seat. it was only 10 bucks a yard and i only needed 1/4 a yard. super cheap. holding up pretty well too.

koyman 06-23-08 09:20 PM

Check the date of the OP!

the pope 06-23-08 10:32 PM

Sweet jaysus, dudes! I thought it was an olde timey reunion going on there for a second. That was weird.

Stealthy Ninja 05-27-19 04:20 AM

11 years on

So.... Might as well resurrect the dead.

Would a normal tennis grip tape (for one tennis racquet handle) be long enough for one side of a drop bar?

IAmSam 05-27-19 12:33 PM

Its so dull and boring around here nowadays that I welcome zombies...

I was an avid tennis player for a good part of my life so can echo old (and older) posts that racquet grip tape is not a good substitute for handlebar tape,

The one time I really needed to change my bartape, and didn't have any, but had and tried to use some racquet-tape...it was a disaster. And to answer this thread's latest ressurector - in my case, one package was not enough for my bike

DrIsotope 05-27-19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stealthy Ninja (Post 20949046)
So.... Might as well resurrect the dead.

Would a normal tennis grip tape (for one tennis racquet handle) be long enough for one side of a drop bar?

Nope. I use tennis racket overgrip for my aerobars, and with a normal amount of overlap, one tape will wrap about a 8" length of 7/8" bar-- I have to use two tapes for my Profile Designs Airstryke.

Beyond that, the padding isn't much-- the thicker stuff is ~2mm, and will probably cost more than just buying bar tape. Especially when you can get basic foam bar tape for like $3.

Stealthy Ninja 05-28-19 04:58 AM

So the message is (just in case in another 10 years someone else stumbles across this) don't bother with tennis racquet tape?

DrIsotope 05-28-19 08:25 AM

Great for aerobars. I bought a 12-pack of Alien Grip that will last me ages, seeing as one set of bars has minimal scuffing after ~6 months of use.

jack pot 06-07-19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stealthy Ninja (Post 20950448)
So the message is (just in case in another 10 years someone else stumbles across this) don't bother with tennis racquet tape?

>>>once upon a time i used to wrap my WEED racket grips with CINELLI bar tape but i never tourna gripped my bars

Stealthy Ninja 08-04-19 04:27 PM

I ended up finding some NOS 1990s grip tape for $5. LOL

duc.nguyen2512 08-19-19 12:43 AM

I bought some cheap bar tape on Aliexpress for $3 a pair. It's rocking good. Why choose other option?

Vintage Schwinn 08-27-19 04:10 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Absorb-Swea...ash=item56be34

(on the bay from China $2.16 free shipping # 372558319526 )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Slip-B...h=item2cb43e9d

(on the bay from China $0.99 free shipping # 192002563503 )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------