Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Campagnolo Pedal Dust Cap (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1226744)

chefdurfee 03-25-21 02:03 PM

Campagnolo Pedal Dust Cap

I have lost the dust cap on a Campy Gran Sport pedal. I ordered a replacement off eBay, which (surprisingly) turned out to be plastic...the original is metal. Either way, the plastic one does not thread properly. So, as I continue to look for one that fits, how should I narrow my search? A few threads here mention that other brands might fit (Zeus, MKS, etc)...I'd prefer a single (don't need a pair), mostly I just need one that fits! Thanks

mkeller234 03-25-21 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by chefdurfee (Post 21984848)
I have lost the dust cap on a Campy Gran Sport pedal. I ordered a replacement off eBay, which (surprisingly) turned out to be plastic...the original is metal. Either way, the plastic one does not thread properly. So, as I continue to look for one that fits, how should I narrow my search? A few threads here mention that other brands might fit (Zeus, MKS, etc)...I'd prefer a single (don't need a pair), mostly I just need one that fits! Thanks

I know what happened!! The plastic pedal cap is Campy Nuovo Gran sport. Sounds the same, but very different. I have an extra plastic cap lying around in my bin.

MKahrl 03-25-21 07:44 PM

Those darn caps were the only part of the superbly engineered Campy pedal that broke, wore out, fell off, or got stolen. By the 1980s they were already getting scarce and more expensive. Someone stole two from my locked bicycle while I was dropping off film to be developed. Man, the steamed me.

Now I use generic dustcaps and save the Campy caps for attending church.

oneclick 03-26-21 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by MKahrl (Post 21985407)
Those darn caps were the only part of the superbly engineered Campy pedal that broke, wore out, fell off, or got stolen.

These pedals - the NR/GS and MKS clones all have a design flaw - the pedal body is insufficiently proud of the dustcaps' edge, and especially when ridden with soft-soled shoes the action of inserting/removing one's foot can cause the cap to unscrew. Ofmega used a better method - a snap-in circumferential ridge and a central setscrew to bear against the spindle end when you want the cap to come off.

And the MKS cap fits the GS pedal, I just checked.

repechage 03-26-21 07:53 AM

Double check the fairness of the pedal threads.

Kabuki12 03-26-21 08:49 AM

I think the early Campy pedals had chrome plated steel caps and the Superleggeri and the later generation Grand Sport were plastic. If you have the tool for tightening them they stay put, unless someone steals them , another reason I don't like letting my bike(s) out of my sight!