Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Which 130 mm chain rings for shimano cranks are the best to look for. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1212787)

Glennr134 09-12-20 06:14 PM

Which 130 mm chain rings for shimano cranks are the best to look for.

I was wondering which chainrings are the best to keep an eye out for . Or is it better to look into new rings that are offered now for sale. All my bikes are running 52/42 rings now.

veganbikes 09-12-20 07:51 PM

What are you looking for in your chainrings? How many speeds? What sizes? Anything special to look out for?

I always try to go with the best chainrings I can buy. If I am running 9 speed I can generally get away with 10 speed rings and you before COVID could still find Ultegra 10 speed rings easily enough. On my 7400 cranks I did swap to a silver Dimension chainring as that was all I could find in 38t for size and something that would work for 6 speed. It is perfectly fine and better for me than the 42 that was on there previously.

ThermionicScott 09-12-20 08:32 PM

If nothing else, there are plenty of original Shimano SG rings out there with life left in them. In prior years, I might have suggested hitting up some swap meets. Heck, I've got a 52T collecting dust on my pegboard... ;)

Glennr134 09-12-20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21691140)
What are you looking for in your chainrings? How many speeds? What sizes? Anything special to look out for?

I always try to go with the best chainrings I can buy. If I am running 9 speed I can generally get away with 10 speed rings and you before COVID could still find Ultegra 10 speed rings easily enough. On my 7400 cranks I did swap to a silver Dimension chainring as that was all I could find in 38t for size and something that would work for 6 speed. It is perfectly fine and better for me than the 42 that was on there previously.

My main ride right now has 6 cogs on the rear making it a 12 speed. It has a 52/ 42 Biopace chainrings up front now. 1987 Schwinn super sport. Am undecided if i want to keep the Biopace. Was looking for tips on better rings to look for. Maybe different tooth counts as well.

branko_76 09-12-20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glennr134 (Post 21691229)
My main ride right now has 6 cogs on the rear making it a 12 speed. It has a 52/ 42 Biopace chainrings up front now. 1987 Schwinn super sport. Am undecided if i want to keep the Biopace. Was looking for tips on better rings to look for. Maybe different tooth counts as well.

These are on my radar...

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ta-...ings.php#alize

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d4b429185.jpg

Glennr134 09-13-20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by branko_76 (Post 21691237)

Those rings look very nice. I will look into those. They would match with the black rims and saddle on the bike as well. Thank you!!

veganbikes 09-17-20 02:59 PM

Nice similar set up except mine is not Biopacé (the finest in Italian chainrings) I have been quite happy with my Dimension chain ring, no real issues and works fine on a 6 speed set up. TA Specialties would probably also be a fine option you will want to look at the Alize. If you are looking to keep Biopacé you will have to look for NOS stuff or used stuff but it will be tougher to find these days.

canklecat 09-17-20 10:40 PM

Vuelta seem just as good as Shimano, Suntour and others. I've used three Vuelta chainrings -- plain, and ramped/pinned SE Plus -- for a couple of years, no problems. Before the pandemic the price was very reasonable, around $20-$30, and often less via Amazon, but I see the prices are double that now.

3alarmer 09-18-20 12:34 AM

...130mm rings show up all the time at the local co-op here. I have a collection in various tooth counts, but the ones that are not either 52, 53 or 42, 39 don't show up as often.
If you want to try different gearing combinations (or different setups, like half step with something like 52/49 or 51/48. you're probably better off buying the less commonly encountered ones online in the Vuelta line mentioned above.

What rings you might want depend entirely on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of gearing, and the sorts of riding you plan on doing. Do some rough gearing calculations on one of the online gear calculators.

But you see 52/42 a lot because it is a good general purpose combination for a 12 speed.

Glennr134 09-18-20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 21700079)
...130mm rings show up all the time at the local co-op here. I have a collection in various tooth counts, but the ones that are not either 52, 53 or 42, 39 don't show up as often.
If you want to try different gearing combinations (or different setups, like half step with something like 52/49 or 51/48. you're probably better off buying the less commonly encountered ones online in the Vuelta line mentioned above.

What rings you might want depend entirely on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of gearing, and the sorts of riding you plan on doing. Do some rough gearing calculations on one of the online gear calculators.

But you see 52/42 a lot because it is a good general purpose combination for a 12 speed.

thank you very much. I have a good idea now on how to proceed if i decide on swapping out the Biopace.

AJI125 09-18-20 04:35 AM

As another thread indicates, international shipping can be a big issue right now. But I've seen great chainring options on xxcycle (https://www.xxcycle.com/chainring-road,en.php) as I mentally plan and re-plan a build using a Campagnolo Racing T (135/74 BCD). Many options for 130. On the left side filter, choose 130 BCD. One of the few sites I've seen with a great assortment of rings. Some of the Stronglight ones are tough to get info on, but if you see other brands lacking info you can look them up separately if you need more info, Miche for instance.

Classtime 09-18-20 06:27 AM

You'd have to hunt around and put some more miles on the BioPace while you wait for the postman but Sugino makes a pretty chainring. Not as pretty as TA but still pretty.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eedc3c02e2.png
A 48/38 is a neat set up.