Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Texas (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   Percent-Grade signs near Dallas? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=546977)

StephenH 05-30-09 09:51 PM

Percent-Grade signs near Dallas?

Over in the road forum, there's a thread about "Post pictures of your bike with a Percent-Grade Sign". Got me to thinking...are there any such signs in the Dallas area? If so, where?

There's a pretty good hill on I20 down there, but I don't recall any signs on it. Seems like "The Beast" hill on the Beauty and the Beast ride had a sign at the top, but that was out by Tyler. Is there one closer? Not that I would go ride up some hill just to take a picture or anything...

txvintage 05-31-09 07:28 AM

I didn't find any while I was out riding and looking for one, errr, I mean, I don't recall having ever seen one.

truman 06-01-09 08:27 AM

I've been here 40+ years and never seen one. Maybe a pic of the grade readout on the Garmin would work?

Creakyknees 06-01-09 02:33 PM

I've guesstimated a few local walls from topo maps. Mostly the steepest stuff around here maxes out at 10-12%. There may be steeper (short) pitches here n there.

nkfrench 06-01-09 03:04 PM

I've been told The Wall in Aledo is 22% grade. (Underwood Road)

There are some steep short hills around Fort Worth but I don't have grades. 4500 Cumberland Rd in Ridglea Hills looks hard.

StephenH 06-01-09 03:09 PM

Just wondered. It wasn't so much trying to figure the grades as finding one with a sign. Usually, this means very steep or normal steep + long. I think the least steep sign I've ever seen was 6%. There's a Ranger Hill out west, but I don't recall if it even merits a sign. There's Cherry Pie Hill, I think they call it, out by Mineral Wells, but I haven't been over it to see if it was signed.

evblazer 06-03-09 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 9022402)
Just wondered. It wasn't so much trying to figure the grades as finding one with a sign. Usually, this means very steep or normal steep + long. I think the least steep sign I've ever seen was 6%. There's a Ranger Hill out west, but I don't recall if it even merits a sign. There's Cherry Pie Hill, I think they call it, out by Mineral Wells, but I haven't been over it to see if it was signed.

I went up and down cherry pie hill last month and I don't recall seeing any signs on it and I was going slow enough to see em.

txvintage 06-03-09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by evblazer (Post 9035235)
I went up and down cherry pie hill last month and I don't recall seeing any signs on it and I was going slow enough to see em.

Yea, I can safely say my rate of accent up most major grades allows for ample surveillance of the surrounding environement.

Where have you been, EV? Haven't seen you around lately.

gbizzy 06-04-09 12:45 AM

Unfortunately, you probably aren't going to find a mountain in DFW. Believe me, I've looked. Just keep pushing those big gears on the flats. :-)

evblazer 06-04-09 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by txvintage (Post 9038346)
Yea, I can safely say my rate of accent up most major grades allows for ample surveillance of the surrounding environement.

Where have you been, EV? Haven't seen you around lately.

Just being a hermit mostly. Rode a 200k which brought me through Trinity Trail last friday. First time I have ever seen an actual bike path that wasn't just a glorified sidewalk. It was rather unnerving to ride down onto those dam crossings where they have no railings at all. I'm suprised no one has just popped off into the water and crashed or something.

StephenH 06-05-19 10:53 PM

Sorry for the zombie thread, but I had an update. I happened to drive over Ranger Hill a while back (about 10 miles east of Ranger on I-20) and it does in fact have a 6% sign at the very top. No good access for a bicycle, no service road at that point, but still, that's likely the closest Percent Grade sign to Dallas.
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4883...2!8i6656?hl=en

tcs 06-11-19 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 20964747)
No good access for a bicycle, no service road at that point...

Is the old abandoned roadbed to the north still passible by mountain or gravel bike?

StephenH 06-12-19 09:49 PM

I didn't stop to see, just drove down the freeway. The percent grade sign is on the eastbound side.