Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   Rate the last TV series you watched (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=756800)

KLiNCK 01-17-17 01:44 AM

"Sneaky Pete" on Amazon Prime is really good!
8.5 cons out of 10

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/12/mus...neaky-pete-is-your-new-binge-watch-obsession/

Jadesfire 01-17-17 10:47 AM

I binge-watched The Crown on Netflix, and I hope they continue the series. Very good acting.

eugened 01-20-17 04:34 AM

Westworld- Perfect 10!!!

canklecat 01-21-17 11:51 PM

Sherlock Season 4 -- 6/10 overall, brought down by the atrocious season ender "The Final Problem" which was a 5/10 at best. It was stylish, good looking utter claptrap. Vox said it all so I won't bother to rehash my criticism.

Basically, with "The Final Problem", Sherlock jumped the shark, and rode the shark like a surfboard while dropping brown acid and deconstructing Proust into punk haiku and simultaneously juggling flaming kittens.

Hopefully that's the end of what began as an enormously entertaining series. Unless they fire everyone responsible for that abomination that ended season 4 -- producers, directors, writers -- and smack the actors around for cooperating with that preposterous script. The series might be salvaged if they go back to their roots.

KonAaron Snake 02-11-17 11:10 AM

Search Party - 9/10. It was quirky, unpredictable, exciting and suspenseful. I guess if I had to describe it...Arrested Development meets Twin Peaks, with some Slacker thrown in for good measure.

dstrong 02-11-17 05:47 PM

We zipped through season 2 of Man in the High Castle on NetFlix. We enjoy it. 9/10.

canklecat 02-13-17 12:33 AM

Victoria, the recent TV series showing on PBS. 7/10, worth watching if you're into this sort of thing. It's more engaging than I'd expected. It doesn't quite demand my full attention but is an interesting diversion while I'm doing other stuff on the laptop in the living room.

Well acted with high production values, falling slightly short of Downton Abbey in terms of handling a large ensemble cast and fully fleshing out all of the characters at all levels of the hierarchical society. But it's an interesting glimpse at an interpretation of the younger Victoria without feeling stuffy and bio-historical-ish.

While appealing to American audiences I can understand why my UK friends dislike shows like Victoria and Downton Abbey that can easily be seen as glorifying an epoch without showing enough of the consequences of such a formally stratified society. These programs certainly seem to have captured the fancy of the well to do economic elites in our area, who are happy to publicly declare their support as PBS donors in well produced promotional spots. I don't often see similarly personalized promotional bits done for programs that feature a less grand view of UK and American societies in our pasts.

mikelore 02-15-17 10:23 PM

I like watching the walking dead and an American horror story.

kellyon 02-18-17 02:27 AM

House MD
and I decided to rewatch Supernatural

coffeesnob 02-19-17 05:08 PM

can't wait for house of cards to start back up and longmire.

dynodonn 02-19-17 05:59 PM

Sherlock / fast moving
Stranger Things / riveting.

Recently watched the 1960's "Wild Wild West" on DVD / Should have left it to my fuzzy memory and my 60's viewing tastes.

coffeesnob 02-22-17 05:59 AM

is sneaky pete any good?

bikecrate 03-09-17 02:32 PM

I got caught up on season 2 of Ash vs. The Evil Dead. Oh goodness. This would not be for everyone. If you can make it through the Morgue episode you might be okay. I enjoyed it. 8/10.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-09-17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by coffeesnob (Post 19394701)
is sneaky pete any good?

Fair, good enough to watch if nothing else is available, but not good enough to get enthused about. Plot is full of holes and gaps in logic, and motivation for all characters is muddled.

trsidn 03-09-17 06:40 PM

Humans 8/10 - love... now in season 2

IceFox 03-10-17 02:51 PM

"Attack on Titans" - 10/10 :thumb:

Can't wait for season 2 :)

coffeesnob 03-24-17 10:13 AM

this last season of bates motel is pretty good

genec 03-26-17 02:12 PM

Designated Survivor... keeps you on the edge of your seat. It IS good... and seems just too damn current. :eek:

canklecat 03-26-17 10:26 PM

Our local PBS story is auditioning new-to-U.S. Britcoms for subscribers/supporters. They say they'll choose one based on subscriber votes.

So far W1A is the best. It reprises the themes of Twenty Twelve, the subtle but brilliant spoof of British bureaucracy (well, all bureaucracy for that matter), whether in the London Olympics planning or at the BBC. Hugh Bonneville is mostly the deadpan foil for hilariously annoying and inept goons like Jessica Hynes. It's probably funny only if you've worked in or otherwise experienced dysfunctional bureaucracies. The premise of W1A isn't quite as relatable as Twenty Twelve but the subtle wit and slow burns are a refreshing change from shows with predictable slapstick that suck out all the humor. I'd call it 8/10, compared with the 10/10 of Twenty Twelve.

Still Open All Hours was a bit of a disappointment. Much of the same cast from the original, but it lacks the snap, timing and chemistry that made the original so good. 6/10, mostly for nostalgia.

dynodonn 03-27-17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 19470231)
Our local PBS story is auditioning new-to-U.S. Britcoms for subscribers/supporters. They say they'll choose one based on subscriber votes.

So far W1A is the best. It reprises the themes of Twenty Twelve, the subtle but brilliant spoof of British bureaucracy (well, all bureaucracy for that matter), whether in the London Olympics planning or at the BBC. Hugh Bonneville is mostly the deadpan foil for hilariously annoying and inept goons like Jessica Hynes. It's probably funny only if you've worked in or otherwise experienced dysfunctional bureaucracies. The premise of W1A isn't quite as relatable as Twenty Twelve but the subtle wit and slow burns are a refreshing change from shows with predictable slapstick that suck out all the humor. I'd call it 8/10, compared with the 10/10 of Twenty Twelve.

Still Open All Hours was a bit of a disappointment. Much of the same cast from the original, but it lacks the snap, timing and chemistry that made the original so good. 6/10, mostly for nostalgia.

Like anything, both dry subtle and slap stick humor have their limits.... UK humor can be funny, provided that one can understand what the person said. ;)

mitmitenhp7 03-27-17 09:12 AM

The Walking Dead 5/5
Castle 4/5
Game of Thrones 4.9/5

Robyx 04-05-17 11:27 AM

Taboo 9/10
Peaky Blinders 10/10
Shameless US 10/10
Outlander 8/10
Workaholics 9/10
Black Mirror 11/10
Sherlock 8/10
Band of Brother 9/10
The Pacific 9/10

Robyx 04-05-17 11:37 AM

Rick & Morty 10/10
South Park 10/10
Adventure Time 10/10

I-Like-To-Bike 04-09-17 11:36 AM

Just finished binging on the the DVDs of the first 4 seasons of Ripper Street, a British crime/police drama set in late 19th Century Whitechapel ( a poverty and crime stricken area of London). Interesting characters and plot twists. Gets better throughout the series. Highly recommended. 9 of 10.

HardyWeinberg 04-26-17 03:04 PM

Been watching Bosch on Amazon prime, pretty great police procedural set in LA. Noir except for all the blinding daylight and washed out colors. Titus Welliver who plays Bosch is excellent. Powered through the 1st season over a few days, now into the 2nd. Took a break last night to watch Monday's Better Call Saul off the DVR.