Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

furiousferret 08-11-20 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21635151)
My car is back in the shop. It needs another expensive repair. I really like driving my BMW, but I'm getting to that point where repairs are coming frequently and are expensive.

I try to keep cars for 10 years or 200k miles, but I think when we pay of my wife's car early next year, I'll be getting something new. I'll only be at 8 years on the BMW, but I don't want to keep paying to keep it going.

You probably already know this but don't send it to the dealership. Its a lot cheaper if you can find someone independent that can service it.

topflightpro 08-11-20 02:26 PM

Oh, yeah. I didn't. I haven't gone to the dealership since the service warranty expired.

big john 08-11-20 06:23 PM

Last Wednesday 4 of us went into the local mountains. Haven't seen them in months and we didn't draft or get too close but it was sure a fun ride. Tomorrow we'll do it again, but this time it's going to be warmer.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...385d3a672c.jpg

Flatballer 08-11-20 08:14 PM

I hope my employers never figure out that all they need to do in order to get me to work a bunch of hours at all hours of the day (including 10:15 at night currently, after starting my day at 6 AM or so) is set really, really high expectations.

It's been really nice being back at my old employer, I really enjoyed working there, and I had a great team of people that I worked with. But my name proceeds me (as does my entire old team, they got scattered somewhat, but we were the original ones who set up a lot of these systems, and we did it on a skeleton crew, and honestly were pretty good at what we did), and my reputation seems to have only grown since I left (and it was honestly bigger than it should've been even then). I honestly have people I used to work with saying that newer people who never worked with me talk about me in like hushed tones of reverence, it's silly. I have no idea why.

Add that to the fact that I've been out of this particular part of the game for like 3.5 years and I'm now a high-paid consultant, and I'm feeling a bit of pressure.

ridethecliche 08-13-20 08:05 PM

Trainer talk
 
Is there anything other than wahoo I should be looking at if I'm buying a direct drive trainer?

With residency stuff, it's pretty easy to justify missing workouts with the hours etc. Id love to just be able to jump on the trainer for like an hour or so before work and not have to worry about flatting and getting late or anything. Id rather ride outside after work or on the weekend when its not stressful...

I recall reading that wahoo had a bit of a **** show recently with issues for their units. Are the Saris ones any better? Any other recs?

burnthesheep 08-14-20 06:39 AM

Is it the modern thing that dads are to just be a disposable source of income, resources, repairs, listening and all else..........and receive nothing in return?

I swear everything I've done for myself since I've been married and had kids has come with some sort of guilt trip or comments. I don't recall having a birthday or father's day I enjoy. Everybody else's birthday is a day-of and separate more convenient day of all day celebrating.

The one thing, the ONE thing I really like to do........TT......and it's an 8:30am start for my class. I'd be home by 11am. 10 more hours in the day till the kid's bedtime. But, not allowed to go do regionals as it is the kid's birthday. I love my kid, we will celebrate my kid. But I don't get the zero debate all-day-long celebration thing.

I'm the adult, adulting can suck. But I'm really tired of stuff like this. The ONLY thing in 2020 I really looked forward to. I know I'd be home before noon for sure. And that's not enough.

I've never had a "guy's weekend" to play golf or ride mountains. When I did AOMM I arrived at my hotel at about 1AM for the 5AM wakeup to get over to checkin and do that. THEN, got to drive home immediately 4 hours after a 7+ hour ride in 90 degree heat. While other families made a weekend in Asheville out of it and enjoyed their dinners together.

I'm not super pleased. Looking at other regionals like for VA, they all say winners and podium for out of state folks get nothing pretty much.

I'm in the dumps man.

ridethecliche 08-14-20 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear that man. I hope theres some let for you.

burnthesheep 08-14-20 10:40 AM

And it rains a bit more.......

Get back from my lunch "decompress" ride......badge in thru the gate. Rent a cop d bag corners me at my car to tell me his snowflake feelings about what I'm wearing. I have a Varia radar. F-off dude. I told him I follow corporate procedure and state law and let me on my way. Dude corners me at my car to yell at clouds for 10 minutes. No procedures, no rules.......yell at clouds. 10 minutes. It's 90 deg outside, I'm standing in socks on blacktop. And he's on the clock.

F that guy.

I told HR if it happens again, I want him kicked off site. It was the (our's at least) definition of harassment. Oh, and he promised to do it again.

wktmeow 08-14-20 11:06 AM


Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 21640770)
And it rains a bit more.......

Get back from my lunch "decompress" ride......badge in thru the gate. Rent a cop d bag corners me at my car to tell me his snowflake feelings about what I'm wearing. I have a Varia radar. F-off dude. I told him I follow corporate procedure and state law and let me on my way. Dude corners me at my car to yell at clouds for 10 minutes. No procedures, no rules.......yell at clouds. 10 minutes. It's 90 deg outside, I'm standing in socks on blacktop. And he's on the clock.

F that guy.

I told HR if it happens again, I want him kicked off site. It was the (our's at least) definition of harassment. Oh, and he promised to do it again.

What did he perceive as wrong about what you were wearing?

big john 08-14-20 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 21640339)
Is it the modern thing that dads are to just be a disposable source of income, resources, repairs, listening and all else..........and receive nothing in return?

I swear everything I've done for myself since I've been married and had kids has come with some sort of guilt trip or comments. I don't recall having a birthday or father's day I enjoy. Everybody else's birthday is a day-of and separate more convenient day of all day celebrating.

The one thing, the ONE thing I really like to do........TT......and it's an 8:30am start for my class. I'd be home by 11am. 10 more hours in the day till the kid's bedtime. But, not allowed to go do regionals as it is the kid's birthday. I love my kid, we will celebrate my kid. But I don't get the zero debate all-day-long celebration thing.

I'm the adult, adulting can suck. But I'm really tired of stuff like this. The ONLY thing in 2020 I really looked forward to. I know I'd be home before noon for sure. And that's not enough.

I've never had a "guy's weekend" to play golf or ride mountains. When I did AOMM I arrived at my hotel at about 1AM for the 5AM wakeup to get over to checkin and do that. THEN, got to drive home immediately 4 hours after a 7+ hour ride in 90 degree heat. While other families made a weekend in Asheville out of it and enjoyed their dinners together.

I'm not super pleased. Looking at other regionals like for VA, they all say winners and podium for out of state folks get nothing pretty much.

I'm in the dumps man.

Have you explained all this to your wife?

Flatballer 08-14-20 01:00 PM


Originally Posted by wktmeow (Post 21640818)
What did he perceive as wrong about what you were wearing?

And what does the Varia have to do with it? I'm so confused. I would have told a security guard at my own workplace to pound sand LONG before ten minutes.

burnthesheep 08-14-20 04:37 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21640977)
Have you explained all this to your wife?

Ha, thatís why I am complaining here now. I did. Doesnít care.

Oh, rent a cop wanted me to wear fluoro. Not a policy. I was proven correct later.

big john 08-14-20 05:21 PM


Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 21641534)
Ha, thatís why I am complaining here now. I did. Doesnít care..

Sorry, man.

merlinextraligh 08-16-20 06:44 PM

Burn the sheep,

Your situation really doesn’t sound right or sustainable. I think you need to have a deeper conversation with your wife, and if she’s not amenable to that, I think you need some third party help to facilitate.

furiousferret 08-16-20 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by merlinextraligh (Post 21644758)
Burn the sheep,

Your situation really doesn’t sound right or sustainable. I think you need to have a deeper conversation with your wife, and if she’s not amenable to that, I think you need some third party help to facilitate.

He's probably just just venting; nobody comes on the internet to say good things about their spouses but that doesn't mean they hate them. I have to do so much crap for my wife and her in laws my life almost revolves around it. My family is all dead so its not reciprocal.

merlinextraligh 08-16-20 07:54 PM

^ I hope that is the case. It came across deeper than to me however.

kensuf 08-17-20 06:31 AM

I think it's safe to say that this 2020 is likely the craziest year most of us have gone through. The majority of people I know are suffering emotional trauma on one level or another. Explain to your wife how much the event means to you and that it's the one ray of sunshine you see for the year, and make sure as hell you're home by noon.

Best of luck,

topflightpro 08-17-20 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by merlinextraligh (Post 21644883)
^ I hope that is the case. It came across deeper than to me however.

I get this feeling too. And it's not based just on this post, but on the many posts he's made over the years regarding his opportunities to ride/race.

himespau 08-19-20 12:15 PM

This is what teaching looks like in 2020:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3489ce9fc6.jpg
My normal streaming mic that I use to record classes every semester is down, so I had to use my gaming headset with one ear tucked behind (hot, heavy covered one of my ears) in class. Of course, I made the rookie mistake of forgetting to take spare batteries only to find out that the batteries in the room mic (I brought my own headset so my mouth wouldn't be near what someone else had spent the last hour breathing into), so I wasn't amplified in the room (and was shouting to those following the livestream).

Flatballer 08-19-20 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by himespau (Post 21649636)
This is what teaching looks like in 2020:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3489ce9fc6.jpg
My normal streaming mic that I use to record classes every semester is down, so I had to use my gaming headset with one ear tucked behind (hot, heavy covered one of my ears) in class. Of course, I made the rookie mistake of forgetting to take spare batteries only to find out that the batteries in the room mic (I brought my own headset so my mouth wouldn't be near what someone else had spent the last hour breathing into), so I wasn't amplified in the room (and was shouting to those following the livestream).

Welcome to the future. It's gonna suck.

rubiksoval 08-19-20 07:50 PM


Originally Posted by himespau (Post 21649636)
This is what teaching looks like in 2020:

I'm sitting on porches half the day trying to help kids get connected and navigate an utterly insane learning platform in a completely foreign language with absolutely zero accommodations.

It's depressing as anything.

himespau 08-19-20 08:54 PM

We just went through our orientation for our kindergartener to do online learning this fall. I'm still not able to wrap my head around how that's going to work. Less worried about my 4th grader. I teach at the college level, so that's a little different. There's a fairly big part of me that hopes we get sent back to online only so I can teach from the safety/comfort of my office, but there's another part that doesn't want that because I know what'll have to happen for that to occur.

kensuf 08-20-20 06:57 AM

My wife and I are taking bets about how long before we go back to online only here at our U. She says a month, I say two weeks. Classes start Aug 31st, time to buckle up.

himespau 08-20-20 07:24 AM

I'm expecting us to be online by fall break at the latest. I run a microbiology teaching lab and won't let the TAs prep stuff for after that because I think it'll all just be wasted. They're annoyed because they want to make it all at once and be done with it.

topflightpro 08-20-20 08:25 AM

IIRC, you both work at large public universities. Given what's happened at UNC, NC State and Notre Dame, I would give it a week, two at most.

In other news, I ordered some stuff from New Zealand. I was given a tracking number. NZ Postal service tracking shows that it left NZ on 8-14 and on 8-15 was listed as In Transit with Airline. USPS says it has a pre-shipment, but nothing has been updated in 5 days. I have no idea where it is or when it will be here.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.