Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Four hole shoes recommendation? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1203702)

MidTNBrad 06-05-20 10:32 AM

Four hole shoes recommendation?

It's time for me to get a new pair of cycling shoes and since I ride Speedplays I'd like to see if I could find some that have four mounting points for the Speedplay cleats so I don't have to use an adapter. I want to spend under 250 USD if possible. Any recommendations?

sneakerfreaka 06-07-20 05:03 AM

There isn’t many, Vittoria, Sidi, Lake, DMT, Rocket7 and Gaerne all do (or did), I’ve always wanted them too, however none of them offered a ‘wide fit’ 4-bolt option. Northwave is another great option, they use a special adaptor that is almost as good as 4 bolt holes, has a really low stack height and way better than the standard adapter for all 3-bolt shoes. I can’t comment on price, you’ll have to search those brands locally (I’m Aussie).

topflightpro 06-07-20 06:14 AM

Lake offers them, and their shoes are pretty fantastic.

justonwo 06-07-20 10:44 AM

I just order a pair of Lake 403s with 4 hole, but they are well above your stated price. I’m not aware of many Speedplay-specific shoes that aren’t quite pricey. The Lakes fit much better than my S-Works road shoes, but only a ride will reveal how much better they are in practice.

MidTNBrad 06-07-20 11:40 AM

Yeah, those Lakes look sharp. I might have to rethink my budget.

topflightpro 06-07-20 01:47 PM

Be sure to check the size chart for Lakes. They have 3 lasts with differing widths for each.

MidTNBrad 06-10-20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by sneakerfreaka (Post 21519724)
There isn’t many, Vittoria, Sidi, Lake, DMT, Rocket7 and Gaerne all do (or did), I’ve always wanted them too, however none of them offered a ‘wide fit’ 4-bolt option. Northwave is another great option, they use a special adaptor that is almost as good as 4 bolt holes, has a really low stack height and way better than the standard adapter for all 3-bolt shoes. I can’t comment on price, you’ll have to search those brands locally (I’m Aussie).

I heavily considering some Northwaves but I can't find any information if the Speedplay adapter is included with the shoe or if it is sold separately. Any experience?

sneakerfreaka 06-10-20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MidTNBrad (Post 21527232)
I heavily considering some Northwaves but I can't find any information if the Speedplay adapter is included with the shoe or if it is sold separately. Any experience?

It's sold separately, I've had a quick search and they seem to be VERY hard to find (just search 'Northwave Speedplay Adaptor kit'), I bought it about 6-7 years ago too. I saw on a a different cycling forum that someone had issues using it with the new 'walkable cleats' Speedplay offer now so maybe that's the reason it's not readily available anymore, such a shame! If you're using the older style X cleats, might be worth trying to track it down though.

MidTNBrad 06-11-20 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by sneakerfreaka (Post 21527298)
It's sold separately, I've had a quick search and they seem to be VERY hard to find (just search 'Northwave Speedplay Adaptor kit'), I bought it about 6-7 years ago too. I saw on a a different cycling forum that someone had issues using it with the new 'walkable cleats' Speedplay offer now so maybe that's the reason it's not readily available anymore, such a shame! If you're using the older style X cleats, might be worth trying to track it down though.

I couldn't find anyone selling the speedplay adapters either. Heck on a cursory review of Northwave's own site I couldn't find any mention of them. I may have to move on which is too bad because those Extreme GT 2s in white look sweet.