Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   126mm freehub options for 1979 Peugeot PK60 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206723)

Suitor_Stu 07-06-20 05:17 AM

126mm freehub options for 1979 Peugeot PK60

Looking for some advice re 126mm rear freehubs. I recently restored/renovated a 1979 Peugeot PK60 that belonged to my Geandpa (I’ll see if I can add a link-I’m not able to post photos here but it’s a teal 531 framed bike with Stronglight/simplex/mafac components and Mavic ModuleE wheels laced to Normandy Atom hubs). It rides really well so I’ve been putting the miles on her but I’ve noticed some cracking around the eyelets on the Mavic Module E front rim so am going to build another wheelset using a modern rim ( H + Son TB14) and keep the original ones for display/completeness only.

I’ve got a pair of period Campagnolo Record freewheel hubs in good nick that I was planning to use, but then I was thinking about changing the rear out for a Shimano freehub rear with 126mm spacing to give me more options with cassette gearing (6/7 speed with 11-28 or perhaps 11-30/32 which appear to have more availability in cassette form). I’m not keen to cold set the frame as I still want to be able to put the old wheels back on without modification so need it to be 126mm and also keen to have something of similar quality to the record hubs I would otherwise use. If there was a new hub from somewhere that would work that would be ideal from a spares point of view but happy to look at eBay otherwise.

From what I understand some of the older Shimano 105/600 7 speed rears are 126mm and although UG can be modified to accept a HG freehub body which would increase my options further but is there any way to tell which? Or are the any other similar hubs by other manufacturers that would work? I’d be keen to keep a similar level of finish/performance to the Campy Record hubs I’d otherwise just use with a freewheel but I can’t find any concrete Information so any help would be appreciated!

thanks,
Stuart

dddd 07-06-20 02:33 PM

The 7s freehubs were sold by the millions in the early 90's and still being made by several makers such as Shimano and JoyTech.

These appear with 126, 130 and 135mm axle spacings, most are full HG compatible.

Best source will be from discarded (bent) wheels or from garage-sale sourced bikes or co-op inventories.

I like the newer 12-32t 7s cassettes offered first by SRAM and later from Shimano with the same non-MegaRange gearing.

There is also the option of using a 9s 11-32t cassette with the 11t removed, leaving 12-32t with 8 cogs.

All of this stuff is very common to find these days.

I don't think you'll find such hubs to rival the appearance of the old Record hubs though!!!!!