Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Want to Buy a Trek Pilot 2.1 - But Not Available (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=311870)

David in PA 06-20-07 01:26 PM

Want to Buy a Trek Pilot 2.1 - But Not Available

Hello,

I've owned a Cannondale mountain/touring bike for years. But during the last several months I've been shopping for my "perfect" road bike. Based purely on specs, price, and reviews, I finally picked the one I want: the Trek Pilot 2.1.

I contacted two LBS'. But Trek tells each LBS that they are completely out of stock, and that I have to wait for the 2008 model!

So, I'm now deciding if I will wait, or choose something comparable.

This is a bit frustrating, as I had no idea this could happen. If anyone has thoughts on all of this, please feel free. Thanks.

David in FL

2006civiccoupe 06-20-07 01:54 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-TREK-5-9-PI...QQcmdZViewItem
thats one of the links on ebay there are a few more.
what size frame are you looking for?
whats your budget?

BikeWise1 06-20-07 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by David in PA
Hello,

I've owned a Cannondale mountain/touring bike for years. But during the last several months I've been shopping for my "perfect" road bike. Based purely on specs, price, and reviews, I finally picked the one I want: the Trek Pilot 2.1.

I contacted two LBS'. But Trek tells each LBS that they are completely out of stock, and that I have to wait for the 2008 model!

So, I'm now deciding if I will wait, or choose something comparable.

This is a bit frustrating, as I had no idea this could happen. If anyone has thoughts on all of this, please feel free. Thanks.

David in FL

What size are you looking for?

David in PA 06-20-07 01:58 PM

As far as the size, I don't know--need to be measured I guess. I'm 5" 10" about 180 lbs. This is my first purchase for a higher-end road bike. My budget is around $1,400.

David in FL

FixdGearHead 06-20-07 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by David in PA
Based purely on specs, price, and reviews, I finally picked the one I want: the Trek Pilot 2.1.

Anything in particular that stood out in the "specs" department that caught your eye? At a $1400 price range, there are quite a few new & used options out there.

I would've suggested looking online...but if this is your first road bike, strongly urge you to go into a store and test ride a few options.

alanbikehouston 06-20-07 02:22 PM

Within twenty miles of where I live, there are at least five dealers who stock Trek bikes. Get out the yellow pages and call every bike shop within twenty miles of home. If you still don't find the bike you are looking for, call the shops in the next town down the road. The Trek website can give you names and phone numbers of every dealer in your region.

Assuming your legs are the typical length of a guy 5'10", (32 inch slack's inseam, 34 inches from the floor to the pubic bone) you probably should be looking at about a size 58. That size will enable you to get the bars up where they belong for pain free and comfortable riding.

If you are young, flexible, and plan to do most of your riding at 25+ mph in an aero position, you might prefer a size 56 making it easier to obtain a lower bar position.

If I needed just "one more" bike (and I don't) the Trek Pilot is a model I'd be looking at. It is designed to enable a rider to go four hours, six hours, eight hours...and still feel good at the end of the day.

DubPimp 06-20-07 06:22 PM

As of last week there was one at the LBS here in Gainesville, FL. It was a 54cm frame which may be one size too small just judging by your height. It was one of the bikes I rode when I was buying mine.

David in PA 06-21-07 06:09 AM

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Appreciate it.

I had forgotten to mentioned that two LBSs can get me the Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA. But it's $250 more. I believe the SPA provides some buzz-kill, but not sure what else if anything.

Do you think the additional cost is worth the extra benefit?

Thanks,
David in FL