Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Death of a Digital Camera (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1184837)

dweenk 10-01-19 01:15 PM

Death of a Digital Camera

My dear old Canon PowerShot A10 died today. It refuses to power up. The camera is ancient and low-end (1.3 mega pixels), but it served us well for many years of shots emailed to family around the country. In its later years it was the primary garage camera, willing to bear the heat, cold, and grime of a workspace. It will be missed.

eja_ bottecchia 10-01-19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 21146128)
My dear old Canon PowerShot A10 died today. It refuses to power up. The camera is ancient and low-end (1.3 mega pixels), but it served us well for many years of shots emailed to family around the country. In its later years it was the primary garage camera, willing to bear the heat, cold, and grime of a workspace. It will be missed.

Give it a proper send-off.

dweenk 10-01-19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 21146131)
Give it a proper send-off.

Thinking of putting it in an ice cream container and burying next to my son's deceased cat. I didn't like the cat, and the cat didn't like the camera. We may have equilibrium now.

due ruote 10-01-19 01:26 PM

Last time I looked I was amazed by how cheap used digital point and shoot cameras were. Lots of people with good camera phones just feel they don’t need them anymore. You should be able to find something quite good for under $50.

dweenk 10-01-19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by due ruote (Post 21146144)
Last time I looked I was amazed by how cheap used digital point and shoot cameras were. Lots of people with good camera phones just feel they don’t need them anymore. You should be able to find something quite good for under $50.

I do have a Panasonic Lumix DHC-FH25 (my wife's old camera - now that she has a new one). It is much better in nearly every way, but I got used to using the old one I suppose. I will adapt.

thinktubes 10-01-19 02:25 PM

I got an 8mp Olympus for $5 a few years back.

steelbikeguy 10-01-19 02:28 PM

I've had good luck with the Canon Powershots.
I had one that ran off of 4 AA batteries, and it was fine until I dropped it. oops.

The next one ran off of two AA's, and it tolerated being in a sweaty bike jersey pocket quite well. Easy to just grab out of the pocket and use it with one hand. Simple user interface and good results.

I did upgrade a couple of years ago, though. The new camera is a Canon Powershot Elph 350HS. I think it was about $150. It has a 12x zoom, a few more features, better low light sensitivity, ability to take HD video, etc. It's much less bulky too, which is appreciated for bike use. Overall, I'm quite happy with it.

Steve in Peoria

JohnDThompson 10-01-19 02:29 PM

That's like my old Sony digital camera. The battery went TU long ago, but it still works fine plugged into AC power. It has a nice Ziess-designed lens and takes better close-up pictures than my modern Samsung digital camera, so I still use it for some things.

My wife had one of those Canon Power Shot cameras and liked it a lot. Had to retire it when a bit of grit got stuck in the lens mechanism and the lens would no longer extend or retract. Replaced it with another Power Shot, which, annoyingly, used an entirely different battery than the first one. :notamused:

bobwysiwyg 10-01-19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 21146142)
Thinking of putting it in an ice cream container and burying next to my son's deceased cat. I didn't like the cat, and the cat didn't like the camera. We may have equilibrium now.

:)

gearbasher 10-01-19 03:20 PM

If you're in the market for an inexpensive digital camera, check out the Sony - DSC-W800. 20.1mp and very small. About the size of a deck of playing cards. Easily fits in a jersey pocket.

The Golden Boy 10-01-19 04:26 PM

My best wishes.

Thoughts and prayers.

T-Mar 10-01-19 04:35 PM

Hmm, maybe we need a 'Show Us Your Dead Bicycle, Camera and Turntable' thread.:rolleyes:

kingston 10-01-19 04:35 PM

I had my trusty powershot s100 bounce out of my handlebar bag this season. I replaced it with an Olympus TG-5 which I like a lot.

ryansu 10-01-19 04:50 PM

A moment of silence for your deceased digital camera......

About 6 years ago I got a digital camera on a discount deal, I got a small slim one thinking this will be great on bike rides! reality I never remembered to take it! lol what I do have on every ride is my iPhone and even a now ancient SE takes better pictures than I deserve. Just took one on today's ride...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b7d2b3f72.jpg

randyjawa 10-01-19 05:59 PM

My camera, an oldie but still almost working goldie, died last winter when I was in Jamaica. With my riding gear on, I grabbed my back pack, forgetting that the camera was sitting on it. The camera went for a short flight and then an immediate death. Pooey-stinko. But I did have my cell phone, another oldie, and it did take reasonably good pics. Now, just this week actually, I have a new cell phone and it takes really good pictures. Who needs a camera these days when your phone can produce pictures like this...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59181d4910.jpg

droppedandlost 10-01-19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 21146383)
My best wishes.

Thoughts and prayers.

camerastrong

Dean51 10-01-19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ryansu (Post 21146407)
A moment of silence for your deceased digital camera......

About 6 years ago I got a digital camera on a discount deal, I got a small slim one thinking this will be great on bike rides! reality I never remembered to take it! lol what I do have on every ride is my iPhone and even a now ancient SE takes better pictures than I deserve. Just took one on today's ride...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b7d2b3f72.jpg

Great picture! I was riding under the same skies this afternoon a bit west of you in Port Angeles. Gorgeous afternoon....and it was my first ride in 30 days. 'Story would bore you blind.

Dean

jbchybridrider 10-01-19 06:32 PM

I have canon s110 that's still a great camera and don't want to let it go but the phone does great pics too. I don't see the point in carrying both on a bike weighing me down so the phone wins.

thumpism 10-01-19 06:36 PM

I've had two of them die on me, one in the middle of an Olympic Peninsula vacation. Replacement bought in Seattle did not last long but by that time the first had been repaired under extended warranty and worked right up until it didn't. I use the phone now but would consider another really compact camera for those quick-draw moments while driving.

ryansu 10-01-19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dean51 (Post 21146502)
Great picture! I was riding under the same skies this afternoon a bit west of you in Port Angeles. Gorgeous afternoon....and it was my first ride in 30 days. 'Story would bore you blind.

Dean

Yep ya gotta take advantage of those sunny October days who knows how many we'll have

steelbikeguy 10-01-19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 21146523)
..... I use the phone now but would consider another really compact camera for those quick-draw moments while driving.

the "quick draw" capability of compact cameras is what I like about my little Canon Powershot. It just takes one hand to pull it out of the jersey pocket and take a picture. Very convenient!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5cba4f_c_d.jpg

Steve in Peoria

bwilli88 10-01-19 08:19 PM

My Sony NEX6 has been dying a long slow death, the power button does not work easily and the selector button for Shutter/Aperture/Program... mode is way off.
time for a new one, have a Sony A6100 on pre order

bobwysiwyg 10-01-19 08:32 PM

Interesting thread. I'm one of those luddite film photo types who was dragged kicking and screaming into the digital world. I still, shoot film (B/W) develop my own, but scan rather than traditional wet printing.

Digital photography has come a long way and pretty d@mn fast. It's hard to deny. A bit like cycling. Current equipment is outstanding and can't be denied, yet there's still room for vintage devotees.

gearbasher 10-01-19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 21146634)
Interesting thread. I'm one of those luddite film photo types who was dragged kicking and screaming into the digital world. I still, shoot film (B/W) develop my own, but scan rather than traditional wet printing.

Digital photography has come a long way and pretty d@mn fast. It's hard to deny. A bit like cycling. Current equipment is outstanding and can't be denied, yet there's still room for vintage devotees.

Recently, I parked my '60 Volvo and a car stopped as I was getting out. The driver asked if he can take some photos of my car. I told him it was no problem. He pulled out a film camera and proceeded to shoot 3 rolls of film. I was shocked. Moral of the story....you're not alone.

verktyg 10-02-19 12:01 AM

Just sold all of my film cameras

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 21146634)

I stopped using all of my film cameras in 1999 when I bought a 2.1mp Canon PowerShot S10 digital camera. They'd just come out and were in short supply in the US. I got a "good deal" on mine from a camera shop in Canada for around $900 with accessories and shipping.

It was simple to use and took great pictures. When it passed - after a number of falls - I bought a Canon PowerShot SD1000 with 7.1mp. It was great too and about 70% smaller with a larger viewing screen. I liked the square edges which were easy to hold on to.

When it suffered a fatal fall a few years later, I got a Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS with 14.1mp for a lot less money. It had rounded edges and easily jumped out of my hand. It was replaced with another Canon PowerShot with 16.1mp. It's not a sharp as my earlier cameras.

One thing about those cameras is they all suffer from "feature sprawl"! Every new model came out with more, difficult to use new features that maybe 5% of the owners will ever take advantage of! Sort of like software!

Recently I sold off all of my film cameras and accessories which included a Leica CL with 3 lenses, 5 Olympus OM bodies, 14 lenses plus a ton of filters and accessories. They'd been sitting packed away for 20 years. I got more than I was expecting for them so I'm happy. :D

I picked a new Canon G9X Mk II digital camera with 20.1mb. It's super sharp, easy to use and has just enough features for any of my needs.

I also had enough left over to pick up a new Ed Litton frame! :love:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...270686da62.jpg

verktyg :50: In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!