Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bike Thievery FYI (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1191643)

grizzly59 01-10-20 07:59 PM

Bike Thievery FYI

Bike Thieves

CliffordK 01-10-20 08:12 PM

I think I saw this posted elsewhere.

I've got mixed feelings on this. Assault certainly is problematic. At the same time, thieves simply are not a priority for law enforcement.

Tackling and detaining a "suspect" could also be dangerous for both parties.

Where were the blows placed? Head? Extremities? There should be places where one could cause significant pain, but minimal injury.

Rajflyboy 01-10-20 08:25 PM

Don’t steal stuff and you won’t risk getting beat up

I can see folks getting angry when their stuff keeps getting yanked. It’s gotta end somewhere.

prairiepedaler 01-10-20 08:47 PM

I think the real reason why that couple got charged is citizen beatdowns are the exclusive domain of cops and they don't like competition.

All the evidence that is ever going to be used against you is going to be provided by you (as per the article);

"After seeing YouTube video of the the pair chasing and beating passersby who tried making off with the bikes left outside, police reportedly caught up with Curnutt and Grillot "

Did they take a video of themselves in action and upload it??? D'OH! Huge mistake.

In the USA, the average person commits three felonies per day without knowing it, so this couple are at least getting their money's worth by breaking the law (and the thieves bones).

Rajflyboy 01-10-20 09:13 PM

Very dumb to film it

Lordy Lordy

CliffordK 01-10-20 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 21279258)
Very dumb to film it

Or WISE...

Imagine the youtube hits as the video goes viral.

Google pays something... not a lot, but if one gets 10 million hits, it starts being real money. Enough to pay court costs?

JanMM 01-10-20 09:51 PM

Smells like assault. And looks like it, too.

veganbikes 01-10-20 10:02 PM

It was dumb to film their exploits but then again it can be a good deterrent. All in all beating down bike thieves is not a terrible thing, violence is bad blah blah blah but in reality we live in a very violent culture where many bad people (some of whom we think of as good) get to be violent as much as they want without recourse so it is nice to attempt to even the score by even just one tiny iota.

I remember my old shop had a sticker that said "we still hang bike thieves in Minnesota" always gave me a good smile. It would be fun to see these professional crews with their vans and getting a good thrashing. If you need to steal stuff go to Wally Mart, the Waltons are at least terrible people who don't care about their employees and those bikes are crap anyway and you are doing them a favor.

bruce19 01-11-20 06:05 AM

Their behavior was criminal.

General Geoff 01-11-20 06:25 AM

In the article, the police claim that the couple never alerted them to the situation. I don't believe that for one second.

Rajflyboy 01-11-20 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 21279450)

but it’s perfectly ok to steal stuff?

02Giant 01-11-20 06:30 AM

Too bad one of the victims didn't take a bat away and return the favor.

Paul Barnard 01-11-20 06:43 AM

It is heartwarming to learn of the thieves being beaten. I can't help but think that will serve as a greater deterrent than what our "justice" system will dispense. Will our justice system hardball some of the criminals in this story and softball others? I would guess yes. The thieves (not robbers as the article called them) will likely get a pass.

CAT7RDR 01-11-20 07:18 AM

In the early 80's a friend of mine witnessed a man steal a bike from his neighbor's garage. He chased and tackled the man and broke the thief's leg. The criminal was arrested and the Sheriff's thanked my friend for a job well done. This is California. I wonder nowadays if my friend would be arrested too for battery?

bruce19 01-11-20 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 21279463)

Really? That's the way you think?

Gresp15C 01-11-20 08:31 AM

It's fun to imagine people dishing out some kind of vigilante justice, preferably in someone else's neighborhood. If it were happening in my neighborhood, I'd be thinking about discreetly making it stop.

grizzly59 01-11-20 08:44 AM

The police aren’t very interested when you report your bike’s been stolen. I’ll bet they laugh soon as you hang up. A report of someone dishing out street justice, they get real interested.

jack pot 01-11-20 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 21279535)
Really? That's the way you think?

the Day of the Locusts is upon us :50:

Dan Burkhart 01-11-20 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21279273)
Or WISE...

Google pays something... not a lot, but if one gets 10 million hits, it starts being real money. Enough to pay court costs?

that doesn’t happen automatically. You need to be a YouTube partner to monetize your videos

AlmostTrick 01-11-20 09:25 AM

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em.

indyfabz 01-11-20 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21279273)
Or WISE...

And legal fees? And support you when you cannot get a job due to your criminal record? If so, where do I sign up?

indyfabz 01-11-20 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 21279450)

Both are criminal. Didn't mommy ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a right?

Happy Feet 01-11-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 21279495)
In the early 80's a friend of mine witnessed a man steal a bike from his neighbor's garage. He chased and tackled the man and broke the thief's leg. The criminal was arrested and the Sheriff's thanked my friend for a job well done. This is California. I wonder nowadays if my friend would be arrested too for battery?

The difference in the two cases is intention.

In your case the friend intended to stop a theif and inadvertently broke his leg. No intention of harm.

In this case the couple expressly intended to create a situation so they would have the opportunity to physically harm someone... and they probably videoed/posted it to social media confirming that intent.

Yes the bike thieves are guilty of committing a property crime. One could argue it might be an unplanned crime of opportunity as the bikes were set out so they could/would be stolen.

The couple was also guilty of assault with a deadly weapon with pretty clear evidence of premeditation (if the story is to be believed on face value).
They have little defense against the assertion that their primary intention to create an opportunity to beat someone with a baseball bat.

CliffordK 01-11-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21279469)
It is heartwarming to learn of the thieves being beaten. I can't help but think that will serve as a greater deterrent than what our "justice" system will dispense. Will our justice system hardball some of the criminals in this story and softball others? I would guess yes. The thieves (not robbers as the article called them) will likely get a pass.

Will it deter the thieves in general, or just not return to that house (at least not without some revenge plan).

Nonetheless, it is also a lot cheaper than sending them to court, criminal justice system, possibly jail, etc.

CliffordK 01-11-20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 21279770)
In this case the couple expressly intended to create a situation so they would have the opportunity to physically harm someone...

So, one should be just OK to live in fear of leaving one's bicycle in the porch, or perhaps leaving the garage door open sometime?