Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2018 Recumbent cycle Con (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1158114)

rydabent 10-16-18 10:18 AM

2018 Recumbent cycle Con

I just returned home yesterday from RCC. It was great fun, and I learned a lot. I am now on board with all the people that say you should ride any and all recumbent trikes you can before your buy. Before, I pretty much thot that you could adjust yourself to riding most any trike you could buy. Now-------------------I know better. I rode 6 or 7 brands of trikes, and come away with the knowledge that I really didnt like the way many felt as you steered them. That includes many really high priced respected brands. They seemed to feel that when going straight ahead the caster made them want to go straight, but when you turned, it felt like they had what I would call wheel flop, and I didnt care for it at all. BTW they all had direct steering. FWIW two brands beside my own that I did like the way they steered was the AZUB TiFly, and the Greenspeed I rode. I wont mention the names of the trikes I didnt like the way they steered.

So yes---------------from my experience, do ride as many as you can before you buy, im sure you will be happier.

BlazingPedals 10-16-18 01:59 PM

I don't know if it was the trike's setup or if it was the nature of the model, but when I borrowed a Catrike700, it felt as though it took all my strength to horse it through turns. If it were mine, I'd definitely be looking for ways to fix that!

700 10-16-18 02:05 PM

Wife and I went. We really liked the Terratrike Tandem. I really liked the new Catrike EOLA. She really like the Copenhagen Wheel.
I am glad I got to ride the Bacchetta Carbon Arrow and new CarbonTrike.
(I also bought the winning lottery ticket - fingers crossed!)

rydabent 10-16-18 03:03 PM

Now about that Ti-Fly. It sure would be nice if some generous well heeled person would buy one for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Trsnrtr 10-16-18 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 20619557)
I don't know if it was the trike's setup or if it was the nature of the model, but when I borrowed a Catrike700, it felt as though it took all my strength to horse it through turns. If it were mine, I'd definitely be looking for ways to fix that!

If you think a 700 steers heavy, try an Expedition or at least the one that I owned steered like a truck.

Rivers07 10-16-18 03:03 PM

Very cool

rydabent 10-16-18 03:11 PM

In the case that the steering feels heavy on some trikes, remember that indirect steering is kind of like power steering.

bent4me 10-20-18 07:12 PM

I too am not a fan of direct steering.
ICE is my favorite but Greenspeed has the best turning radius.

BlazingPedals 10-25-18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 20619690)
If you think a 700 steers heavy, try an Expedition or at least the one that I owned steered like a truck.

I rode a Trident at the Tennessee Rally in 2016, and it felt a little that way. I thought at the time that it was just me, using the wrong motions to turn. But maybe it's the nature of the beast??? By contrast, the one time I tried a Terratrike it felt as if I needed an arm brace because any microscopic hand movement sent it haring off into the ditch.

alias5000 10-26-18 11:02 AM

I watched the laid back bike report. Two wheel recumbents were almost extinct in there...! Is this a fair representation of the show?

Trsnrtr 10-26-18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by alias5000 (Post 20634533)
I watched the laid back bike report. Two wheel recumbents were almost extinct in there...! Is this a fair representation of the show?

I'd say it's a fair representation of the recumbent industry as a whole in NA.

rydabent 10-26-18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by alias5000 (Post 20634533)

Somewhat, but remember most everything runs in cycles.

BlazingPedals 10-27-18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 20635355)
Somewhat, but remember most everything runs in cycles.

I worry that there won't be a next cycle if all of the recumbent bike makers are extinct.

JanMM 10-28-18 11:07 AM

Perhaps if those of us who are recumbent bike fans would all buy multiple new bikes...............:eek:...............maybe nudging the cycle the other direction????