Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is it bad to change tyres too often? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222391)

Herzlos 01-26-21 05:36 AM

Is it bad to change tyres too often?

Backstory: I've got 2 sets of tyres for my MTB, a fairly knobbly set for offroad and one that's got a better centre profile for on-road (because 90% of my MTB time is cycling on smooth ground to get to the rough stuff). I've only got 1 set of wheels.

Will I do any damage to my tyres if I swap them whenever I want to go back to the knobbly ones for a pure offroad trip?

hillyman 01-26-21 06:16 AM

Maybe if their a real tight fitting tire to get on rim might be rough on the bead eventually with multiple changes. But I'd say with most tires you could change many times without damaging.

jpescatore 01-26-21 07:23 AM

The tires should be fine, but the other thing to be careful about is damaging the inner tubes or valves as you swap tires. Don't use metal tire tools, make sure the tube isn't getting trapped under the tire, etc.

I'm assuming you are not using tubeless tires! That would eliminate the tube issue but have other issues.

Herzlos 01-26-21 07:59 AM

Thanks! I'm sticking with tubes for now, tubeless sounds good but with my low usage I'm wary about them unseating and/or having to deal with the mess.

HerrKaLeun 01-26-21 08:13 AM

If you do it often enough you may look into a second wheelset, or N+1. If you need so different tire thread, you likely need 2 different bike types. and N+1 always is the answer.
I guess over time the tire can get damaged, and there is a chance for pinch flats when you install the tube.

how oftHn are we talking about? Daily, weekly, monthly?

Herzlos 01-26-21 08:32 AM

I'd probably change the tyre over and back every other month or so at best. Most of my riding is from home which means there's miles of road before I get to any mud.
N+1 is always tempting, since I could have a hard tail for the mostly road stuff and a full suspension for the mostly rough stuff, but I'm trying to be good :)
I may look at picking up another wheelset at some point though, which would be the best compromise.

Biketiger 01-26-21 11:16 AM

Yeah, definitely a new set of wheels which always comes in handy. I'd hate to have to change tires and tubes each time you needed to switch for terrain.

Pratt 01-26-21 11:56 AM

A second set of wheels is an excellent idea. Then the stage is set for concern about damaging the axles and brake alignment through changing the wheel sets too often, thus justifying N+1 on the grounds of safety.

Kapusta 01-26-21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Herzlos (Post 21895589)
I'd probably change the tyre over and back every other month or so at best. Most of my riding is from home which means there's miles of road before I get to any mud.
N+1 is always tempting, since I could have a hard tail for the mostly road stuff and a full suspension for the mostly rough stuff, but I'm trying to be good :)
I may look at picking up another wheelset at some point though, which would be the best compromise.

Every other month or so..... yeah, no problem.

AdkMtnMonster 01-26-21 12:14 PM

If you’re changing tires (or tyres) so frequently that it prevents you from actually riding the bike (or byke) then yes, that’s bad, and too often. HTFU, and have a nice ride.

Biketiger 01-26-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pratt (Post 21895922)
A second set of wheels is an excellent idea. Then the stage is set for concern about damaging the axles and brake alignment through changing the wheel sets too often, thus justifying N+1 on the grounds of safety.

Great point! I have two sets of wheels for my Ritchey Ultra - one fixed the other free. Each time I change the wheelset I have to adjust the cantilever brakes too :(

trailangel 01-26-21 02:44 PM

You will get tired (pun intended.. LOL) soon with changing tires.... and then you will soon get tired (LOL) of changing wheelsets and readjusting the gears and brakes.... and you will end up buying another bike.

lifanus 01-26-21 06:58 PM

Based on my experience, tubes are easily damaged if changing tires too much... Best to just get a second wheelset, even if used to get the tires on them, and maybe en extra cassette so you don't have to worry about damaging anything

Moisture 01-26-21 07:19 PM

Youre be better off getting a spare rear rim with a road tire and switching between the two