Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Hard to Let Go (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=868391)

youcoming 01-19-13 09:08 PM

Hard to Let Go

I'm getting a new bike delivered in a few weeks and will have to sell my Project One Madone to help pay for it. I've spent countless hours and k's on this bike and have found I've grown somewhat attached to it, funny how a grown man can become emotionally linked to an bike of all things. I have no choice but to let her go, hope the new ride will be up to the task. Anyone else have this issue?

LowCel 01-19-13 09:12 PM

I used to but I have gone through so many bikes now I really don't give it much thought. There has only been one road bike that I have sold that I have regretted, that was a custom IF Ti Crown Jewel that I had built just for me. Any mass produced bike can easily be replaced with a few minutes on ebay if I ever end up regretting selling one.

zonatandem 01-19-13 09:21 PM

No.
Been riding since the early '70s.
Highest mileage bike we sold was a custom tandem with 64,000 miles on the odo.

Rand 01-20-13 12:27 AM

I have grown attatched to certain things here and there.I always just think to myself that it will hopefully be going to a good home.

coppercook62 01-20-13 03:39 AM

What did you get?

mpath 01-20-13 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by coppercook62 (Post 15176916)
What did you get?

+1000! What did you get?? Replacing a Madone....it's going to be a nice ride for sure. :)

youcoming 01-20-13 10:57 AM

I'm getting a Parlee Z5i with custom paint and DA9000. Pictures when bike arrives, either late next week or early the following.

coppercook62 01-20-13 01:00 PM

Sweet

baj32161 01-20-13 01:04 PM

I would have no such issues....it is a bike.

adclark 01-20-13 01:19 PM

I regretted selling my first road bike for about a day. After that, I really haven't thought about it much since I never rode it anyway and it was too big.

donrhummy 01-21-13 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by youcoming (Post 15176266)
I'm getting a new bike delivered in a few weeks and will have to sell my Project One Madone to help pay for it. I've spent countless hours and k's on this bike and have found I've grown somewhat attached to it, funny how a grown man can become emotionally linked to an bike of all things. I have no choice but to let her go, hope the new ride will be up to the task. Anyone else have this issue?

If you like it so much why the new bike? What's the reason for the switch?

Adrianinkc 01-21-13 12:39 PM

Funny, I just did the same. 6.2 madone to a roubaix expert di2, don't regret it one bit. Enjoy the new bike.

youcoming 01-21-13 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by donrhummy (Post 15181870)
If you like it so much why the new bike? What's the reason for the switch?

The Madone has been a great bike I just want something different and a lot of the guys I ride with have switched to Parlee and they all talk about how amazing the feel. I have to sell the Madone to pay for the new one.

Campag4life 01-21-13 02:07 PM

I am reminded of the joke about girlfriends. What makes you forget about the last girlfriend? The next one. ;)
Sorry...the above is insensitive and mostly true. ;)

I admit to being a bit sentimental and nostalgic. This the underpinning that fuels fat cats paying $100K to 'rebuy' that old '69 Z28 at Barrett Jackson.
I love the old solid lifter Z' car.

There are a few bikes, motorcycles and cars I wish I still had in my garage that have long since departed.
The new tech is pretty amazing however and better. Counterpoint is...it is the flaws that give character. ;) But old cars and bikes are attached to great memories and that is part of the sense of loss I think...and one of the reasons nostalgia sells among boomers who remember a simplier and happier time...with younger and hotter girlfriends and more energy. ;)

99Klein 01-23-13 10:05 AM

I'm that way with my Klein. You can always find another Madone.

VegasVic 01-23-13 10:45 AM

You'll be more than ready to dump the old cow when the hot new girlfriend arrives.