Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   which tube to install water bottle cage on? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1208478)

Symox 07-25-20 03:06 PM

which tube to install water bottle cage on?

Hello,
My bike has two water bottle cage threaded inserts. For my rides I only ever need one large Camelbak bottle. I have settled on putting the cage on the seat tube instead of the down tube because I can grab it, sip and put it back without looking. But I was wondering if there is a consensus on which tube is "better" in terms of handling.

Thanks

Retro Grouch 07-25-20 03:47 PM

That bike only has one purpose - to make you happy. No other opinions count. At worst, if you decide you don't like it on the seat tube, you can move it to the other location.

woodcraft 07-25-20 04:10 PM

Wind tunnel testing shows a slight aero advantage on the down tube,

where I also find it easier to grab the bottle.

I've never seen any case made for weight distribution other than that lower is better.

79pmooney 07-25-20 04:14 PM

I find reaching the down tube location easier. Tradition says that the first cage goes on the down tube. In the '70s when I race, race bikes has a set there only.

All that said, I second Retro above. It's your bike. I'm good with whatever works for you, (I put a third bottle under the downtube for really hot and/or long rides. Time trialists use cages behind the seat, In the old days the pros had cages bolted to their handlebars. That trend is coming back. Camelbaks have become fairly popular on road cyclists.

Hydration is important, On hot or very hard rides, often of supreme importance. How you arrange your bottles and cages is far less so, as long as it works for you. I"m a pure traditionalist. I raced the two cages, down tube and seat tube (the seat tube cage secured with the metal straps), drank from the down tube bottom cage first, then swapped the bottles. But that's just me. I learned too long ago to change. You have a clean slate.

A consideration - will a Camelbak bottle stay in the cage if you hit rough road? Losing your only bottle on a very hot ride on a fast downhill on a group ride could be very costly; as in one of those nightmare you will always remember and hope to never repeat. I ride with standard bottles and their either "necks" of "waists" depending on bottle size in SS King cages because that combo never flies off.

Stay hydrated! Welcome to cycling! And Bike Forums!

Ben

Sy Reene 07-25-20 04:24 PM

Makes you wonder if they made aero shaped water bottles that only hold eg. 12 ozs and are completely hidden by the frame tubes.. in which case 2 of these could be better than 1 large bottle setup?

2cam16 07-25-20 04:59 PM

It's wherever is easiest for you. I always find it easier to grab from the dt so all my bikes have at least a dt cage.

Troul 07-25-20 05:38 PM

DT may allow for a taller bottle whereas the ST might restrict the height of the bottle that you choose to use.
ST has a less likely chance at spitting out the bottle when jarred by the riding conditions. A larger diameter ST bottle might interfere with leg movement.
I use both.

Miele Man 07-25-20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21606815)
Makes you wonder if they made aero shaped water bottles that only hold eg. 12 ozs and are completely hidden by the frame tubes.. in which case 2 of these could be better than 1 large bottle setup?

Do you mean like this? 500ml (16 ounces each)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8ba453a5f0.jpg

Cheers

WGB 07-25-20 07:40 PM

This summer? In the heatwave we've had?

I run, Camelback with 2 liters on back
Down tube and seat tube each with a bottle and as of yesterday, two bar bottles. Just two bike bottles in this heat, let alone one, would scare me. Losing sunglasses is bad. Losing water is not healthy.

bargo68 07-25-20 08:15 PM

Down tube is an easier grab for me. Also, a frame pump runs up the seat tube on a couple of my bikes.

70sSanO 07-25-20 08:27 PM

I’ve always put a cage on both the down tube and seat tube; pump is under top tube. If I’m only using one battle it is in the downtube cage.

I use Cateye BC-100 on all my bikes. While they are extremely ugly, I never lose a bottle. And, I’ve found different colors of NOS on eBay.

John

Bill in VA 07-25-20 08:41 PM

These were popular back when aero first became a 'thing'. The downside was small capacity, and proprietary cage bottle combos and even proprietary mounting at times. Plus they were expensive. So if may be why they were not broadly popular.

I find a King IRIS stainless steel cages will keep a bottle, even a 24 oz. bottle, in place over all the bumps I have encountered and in the 2 low speed crashes I have had. They will also hold stainless Klean Kanteen bottles. I have found the more vertical the bottle the greater the chance of ejection, and handlebar mounts eject more than seat tube mounts. Just my experience and YMMV.

veganbikes 07-25-20 09:35 PM

I usually have two but in the rare case I have one it is on the down tube (unless it can't be placed there for some odd reason). However put it wherever works for you.

woodcraft 07-25-20 10:15 PM

Running 6 to 0 for bottle on the DT- looking like a consensus.

Sy Reene 07-26-20 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Miele Man (Post 21607042)
Do you mean like this? 500ml (16 ounces each)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8ba453a5f0.jpg

Yeah, something like that.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA (Post 21607124)
These were popular back when aero first became a 'thing'. The downside was small capacity, and proprietary cage bottle combos and even proprietary mounting at times. Plus they were expensive. So if may be why they were not broadly popular.

Definitely would be a kinda specialized purpose/niche need. Seems with the more prevalent even larger and more aero CF tubing on entire lineups of bikes now, and the wider downtubes as a result, it might be a bit easier now to something tuck worthwhile behind the downtubes especially.

GlennR 07-26-20 06:57 AM

Wow.. 15 posts, must be too hot so everyone is inside on the interwebz.

I'm going for another ride.... with 2 water bottles.

joesch 07-26-20 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21606801)
I find reaching the down tube location easier. Tradition says that the first cage goes on the down tube. In the '70s when I race, race bikes has a set there only.

All that said, I second Retro above. It's your bike. I'm good with whatever works for you, (I put a third bottle under the downtube for really hot and/or long rides. Time trialists use cages behind the seat, In the old days the pros had cages bolted to their handlebars. That trend is coming back. Camelbaks have become fairly popular on road cyclists.

Hydration is important, On hot or very hard rides, often of supreme importance. How you arrange your bottles and cages is far less so, as long as it works for you. I"m a pure traditionalist. I raced the two cages, down tube and seat tube (the seat tube cage secured with the metal straps), drank from the down tube bottom cage first, then swapped the bottles. But that's just me. I learned too long ago to change. You have a clean slate.

A consideration - will a Camelbak bottle stay in the cage if you hit rough road? Losing your only bottle on a very hot ride on a fast downhill on a group ride could be very costly; as in one of those nightmare you will always remember and hope to never repeat. I ride with standard bottles and their either "necks" of "waists" depending on bottle size in SS King cages because that combo never flies off.

Stay hydrated! Welcome to cycling! And Bike Forums!

Ben

Agree DT+1 may also help your improve your riding position as does riding more in the drops

BobbyG 07-26-20 07:13 AM

Seat Tube Preference...

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21607211)
Running 6 to 0 for bottle on the DT- looking like a consensus.

I put bottle holders on both the downtube and seat tube of my three bikes for longer rides.

But I mostly commute, and over the years I have found that I will usually take a drink when I'm stopped at a light. When I'm stopped and sitting upright on the seat it is easier to reach under the seat to grab the water bottle than to bend forward to reach for the DT bottle. In fact, I only take one bottle when commuting and I put it on the seatpost holder.

I hadn't thought about this before reading this thread. I suppose I grab the downtube bottle when in motion on long rides, but I don't know.

...great, now I'll be pre-occupied with how I drink when riding and probably fall.

I'll let you know.

bruce19 07-26-20 07:16 AM

Back in the late '80's I had bottles and cages similar to what you mentioned. They were Campy kit. I made the mistake of selling the bike (MAZA Prestige) and let the cages/bottles go with them.

Troul 07-26-20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21607447)

sooo late in the day for the additional ride? Already did a medium, long, short, & round-bout' rides before cyber church bells rang.

Phil_gretz 07-27-20 05:34 AM

The seat tube location is most efficient for me to reach and replace without looking. So, if I'm riding with only one bottle, it goes there.

If I'm riding with two bottles, then the seat tube one is for drinking and the downtube one is the back-up. Once drained, the primary bottle goes to the downtube and the other replaces it at the seat tube.

indyfabz 07-27-20 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 21609083)
The seat tube location is most efficient for me to reach and replace without looking. So, if I'm riding with only one bottle, it goes there.

If I'm riding with two bottles, then the seat tube one is for drinking and the downtube one is the back-up. Once drained, the primary bottle goes to the downtube and the other replaces it at the seat tube.

Precisely the same with me.

wolfchild 07-27-20 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21607447)

+ 1....I also have two water bottle cages on all of my bikes.

wolfchild 07-27-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Symox (Post 21606726)
But I was wondering if there is a consensus on which tube is "better" in terms of handling.

Thanks

It doesn't matter.

Ogsarg 07-27-20 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Symox (Post 21606726)
Hello,
My bike has two water bottle cage threaded inserts. For my rides I only ever need one large Camelbak bottle. I have settled on putting the cage on the seat tube instead of the down tube because I can grab it, sip and put it back without looking. But I was wondering if there is a consensus on which tube is "better" in terms of handling.

Thanks

So if you find there is a consensus on putting it on the down tube, are you going to move it?

If it works for you, why would you care what others do?