Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New To Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1208676)

Mcgbm21 07-27-20 08:22 PM

New To Cycling: What To Buy

I am just getting started in cycling. I am wanting to get into better shape and a healthier life and feel cycling will be fun and challenging. I would like some advice on what to look at buying. I have seen some bikes online for thousands of dollars... was hoping to stay between 250-500 dollars. Any suggestions or tips. Mainly would be riding around towns and neighborhoods with average hills.

Thomas15 07-27-20 08:56 PM

Welcome to the fun and fitness of cycling! And welcome to the Bike Forum!

The best advice I can offer is go to a local bike shop, tell the sales staff what you want and how much money you have in the budget and proceed to buy a bicycle.

Mulberry20 07-27-20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mcgbm21 (Post 21610578)
I am just getting started in cycling. I am wanting to get into better shape and a healthier life and feel cycling will be fun and challenging. I would like some advice on what to look at buying. I have seen some bikes online for thousands of dollars... was hoping to stay between 250-500 dollars. Any suggestions or tips. Mainly would be riding around towns and neighborhoods with average hills.

The price of the bike is just one part of the budget. You have things like a helmet, shoes, clothing, basic tools, a pump and the list goes on.

Save your money for quality because in the long run it is cheaper and a reliable bike is something you can ride often and safely. Repairs can be costly so going too cheap makes no financial sense at all.

Used bikes often make the most sense as a first bike because many are rarely even used and sell for 50 cents on the dollar or less, generally.

So many people buy bikes and they just sit.

VegasTriker 07-27-20 09:58 PM

Right now the supply of new bikes in your price range is best described as being dismal. Ditto for the supply of used bikes at reasonable prices. So many people stuck at home have decided to take up cycling that there is a nationwide shortage. If you do go the route of buying a used bike see if you can find someone who knows the difference between a decent bike and a piece of junk to help you. I used to cruise around the neighborhood looking at garage sales (very few these days) and while I would find a fair number of little-used bikes, most of them were from mass merchandisers (Walmart, Target, etc.) and not worth more than a glance.

Flip Flop Rider 07-27-20 10:12 PM

You need to find someone close by that knows bikes and pay them $50 to find you a bike on craigslist. Tell them exactly how you want to use the bike. They have to go look it over with you as well

Flip Flop Rider 07-27-20 10:13 PM

maybe that costs $100 I don't know

70sSanO 07-27-20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mcgbm21 (Post 21610578)
I am just getting started in cycling. I am wanting to get into better shape and a healthier life and feel cycling will be fun and challenging. I would like some advice

Honestly, rent a bike for a weekend and see what you think. Normally I’d say go to a bike shop and pick out an entry bike, but that option probably isn’t available. You need to find out if riding a bike is more than feeling like it will be fun.

If you do really like it, then you can get serious about finding a good used bike, or decide how much you are willing to spend, and how long you’ll wait, at a bike shop. If you hate it or it doesn’t meet your hopes and dreams, pass on it or buy a cheap Walmart/Target beach cruiser and ride when you feel like it.

John

bookthug85 07-29-20 03:25 AM

Biking everywhere is awesome, you won't regret it!