Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Riding without gloves - why? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1138289)

MikeyMK 03-15-18 09:10 PM

I locked-up the front wheel, on gravel, without mitts, once. Thankfully another rider had a first aid kit.

We're just leaving winter here, now. I'd better start looking for a good pair of fingerless mitts, 'cos i'm fussy. I love my mitts when i've found the right ones.

jefnvk 03-16-18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius (Post 20223041)
When I first started riding after a several yearGuess who now wears gloves? :D

:eek:
I can understand gloves helping road rash, just not so sure something that's going to cut through an inch of flesh is going to be stopped by a bit of fabric!

BikeLite 03-16-18 07:01 PM

That's why I wear steel mesh riding gloves dood...kidding.

Paul Barnard 03-17-18 05:29 AM

One thing is for sure. If the pros start doing it, the masses will follow.

Paul Barnard 03-17-18 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 20223285)
Maybe because there's no law which says you have to wear gloves while riding?

I supposed Bike Forums would get boring if we didn't have these "Why do people do things I don't do?" threads.

Typical BF MEEEEEOOOOOW kind of response. The OP asked a question without making a value judgement.

Homebrew01 03-17-18 08:30 AM

My summer fingerless gloves wore out. Never replaced them. Trained, raced, crashed without them for 15 years or so without problems.

Got a new pair last year. I like being able to wipe sweat, but still ride without them sometimes.

I always wear gloves in cold weather though.

buffalo4life 03-17-18 08:50 AM

This is an interesting thread. My first year of riding was pretty casual and I didn't wear gloves. The next year I got kitted up and have been wearing gloves for every "real" ride since. I feel naked heading out without something to protect my hands. During mountain biking I wear thin long finger gloves in any temperature. It is hard to believe there could be much aero benifit to going gloveless, but marginal gains and all.

Stadjer 03-17-18 12:40 PM

You lose quite a bit of heat through the hands, they are a bit like cooling fins. So I guess they will have to find a balance between how much heat they want to keep and how much they want to lose to the air. So with long sleeves and gloves they might lack a bit of cooling. When it's not freezing it's not really a problem it's just uncomfortable, but these guys like to suffer.

Daniel4 03-17-18 01:13 PM

Probably in my first decade of riding, I never wore gloves. Didn't really think about it. It was the 1970s. Helmets weren't a big thing back then either nor any of the full kit people get today.

I guess if your handlebars are taped with smooth tape that give cushion, they don't cause any blisters.

But since the late 1980s I bought my first pair of cycling gloves after I joined MEC.

Dave Cutter 03-17-18 01:22 PM

Oh come on. Those guys are racers first... sure. But just as importantly they are cycling billboards. Apparently some teams failed to receive a glove sponsorship. And as a result.... NO GLOVES,

jefnvk 03-17-18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 20229499)
decisions, decisions, decisions.....

But some of those guys have massive wristwatches and some done. Whom am I to believe?

Seriously I generally wear gloves, but sometimes I forget them. Theyre nice for wiping sweat and glasses (mine have terry cloth on the outside of the thumb) but its really not the end of world if I don't have them.

pickettt 03-20-18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jefnvk (Post 20229528)
Seriously I generally wear gloves, but sometimes I forget them. Theyre nice for wiping sweat and glasses (mine have terry cloth on the outside of the thumb) but its really not the end of world if I don't have them.

Left thumb for sweat, right thumb for snot....and never the twain shall mix.

Crewchief911 03-21-18 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 20222845)
Weight and wind resistance.

Just curious...how much of difference can gloves weighing a couple of ounces really make? Will they achieve a measurable gain in time and speed by not wearing them? Not trying to be a smart a**, I'm just having a hard time believing it, and would like to know it it really does.

Kapusta 03-21-18 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Crewchief911 (Post 20236296)
Just curious...how much of difference can gloves weighing a couple of ounces really make? Will they achieve a measurable gain in time and speed by not wearing them? Not trying to be a smart a**, I'm just having a hard time believing it, and would like to know it it really does.

When you consider how much we all know presta valve caps slow you down, and the fact that gloves are many times the weight and wind resistance, this should be a no brainer.

Of course, like valve caps, dimpling can make a big difference, so if you must wear gloves, look for dimpled models.

Daniel4 03-21-18 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Crewchief911 (Post 20236296)

Competitive swimmers shave their legs and body hair due to resistance too.

SHBR 03-21-18 09:25 AM

Maybe its fashionable?

It is hard to understand from a marketing perspective, gloves have a huge markup, far more than most bicycle accessories.

Although from an injury perspective, more things to fix in the ER more $.

More opportunities for medical industrial complex as well.

I'll keep wearing gloves, even to the grocery store. ;)

bigsky109 03-21-18 09:28 AM

Used to ride without gloves, fingerless or not.....Now I ride only with gloves. I sweat and my hands slip without gloves on. I ride Motorcycle too and always were gloves in case of crash....they do save your hands since instinct is to stop fall with hands. The are also great for wiping sweat and snot......yes they should never mix. :)

caloso 03-21-18 10:10 AM

We do bump and fall drills (on grass) with our juniors to try to train out the instinct. It's safer to keep your hands on the bars. If ejected, tuck and roll.

enine 03-21-18 11:04 AM

I haven't found any comfortable gloves. Maybe its from only trying some from big box *mart stores but every pair wife or I tried would make our fingers go numb after a while.

caloso 03-21-18 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by enine (Post 20237007)
I haven't found any comfortable gloves. Maybe its from only trying some from big box *mart stores but every pair wife or I tried would make our fingers go numb after a while.

I have found that gloves with padding make my hands go numb, so I will only wear unpadded ones. They still make my hands numb, but it takes longer.

Hypno Toad 03-21-18 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20237039)
I have found that gloves with padding make my hands go numb, so I will only wear unpadded ones. They still make my hands numb, but it takes longer.

Same here.

79pmooney 03-21-18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20236864)
We do bump and fall drills (on grass) with our juniors to try to train out the instinct. It's safer to keep your hands on the bars. If ejected, tuck and roll.

Yup. My mantra when I raced, "don't let go of the bars until after I hit the ground". I raced it the days of toe-straps. Tucking and rolling was awkward at best. Not being a gymnast, I just accepted that skin lost related to fewer bones broken. And the more skin lost, the shallower each wound and faster heal.

Ben

Stratocaster 03-21-18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 20223015)
Because they prefer to for whatever reason.

While asking why questions, mine would be why would anybody who's made his own personal decision about something as trivial as gloves care why someone else opts to do it differently.

:rolleyes: And so my question would be if someone decides to ask an honest question why would anybody who's made his own personal decision about asking honest questions care why someone else opts to do it differently?

FBinNY 03-21-18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster (Post 20237457)
:rolleyes: And so my question would be if someone decides to ask an honest question why would anybody who's made his own personal decision about asking honest questions care why someone else opts to do it differently?

Asked and answered.

See post no. 34, then the conversation in posts 35-39, and again in 44 & 45.

surak 03-21-18 06:01 PM

Definitive proof that not wearing gloves is faster: I was running late and would have missed my bus had I taken the time to put gloves on this morning. ;)