Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Need help before purchasing first Bianchi (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174187)

jahdiel 05-28-19 11:50 AM

Need help before purchasing first Bianchi
 
I am trying to buy a steel Bianchi road bicycle for about $200. I would like to know what year it is from and the model to do more research on it. I would like to know somethings I should watch out for or things to fix before they become problems later on. Last thing, where could I find the exact same shade of paint or set of decals?

TenGrainBread 05-28-19 12:17 PM

Are you looking at a certain bike specifically or just wanting a Bianchi in general?

Old catalogs are available online but sparse. Users T-Mar and Bianchigirll have extensive knowledge and catalogs at their personal disposal. If you find a bike post detailed pictures and the forum can help.

The Bianchi Celeste color has changed over time. There is not one "Celeste".

Regarding decals, for a big brand like Bianchi there are a lot of repros made, but a more obscure decal might require you to get it custom made from a photo, which is expensive.

I would stay away from repainting unless absolutely necessary.

ridelikeaturtle 05-28-19 12:29 PM

I wouldn't overthink this purchase. Make sure it's not a fake (very low chance of that really), that the frame isn't cracked (probably the most important thing), and everything else is replaceable, fixable, and consumable.

randyjawa 05-28-19 12:29 PM


I am trying to buy a steel Bianchi road bicycle for about $200.
Me too! Look on Ebay or Craigslist or Bike Forums Classified.


I would like to know what year it is from and the model to do more research on it.
Can't help with model but you can identify the vintage by using the information in How Old Is My Bicycle?


I would like to know somethings I should watch out for or things to fix before they become problems later on.
Understanding Vintage Bicycle Quality and well, take some time to look at other helpful articles and many of your questions will find answers. And, you will save yourself time, effort, frustration, error and cash.

And, if you can get away from the computer as a hunting tool, for a while, try these Vintage Bicycle Finding Methods and you just might, with little effort and little cash end up with a pretty decent bicycle, such as this lovely 1976 Super Mondia...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2028db5e1f.jpg

jahdiel 05-28-19 12:35 PM


Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 20951205)
I wouldn't overthink this purchase. Make sure it's not a fake (very low chance of that really), that the frame isn't cracked (probably the most important thing), and everything else is replaceable, fixable, and consumable.

How would I know itís a fake?

jahdiel 05-28-19 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by TenGrainBread (Post 20951186)
Are you looking at a certain bike specifically or just wanting a Bianchi in general?

Old catalogs are available online but sparse. Users T-Mar and Bianchigirll have extensive knowledge and catalogs at their personal disposal. If you find a bike post detailed pictures and the forum can help.

The Bianchi Celeste color has changed over time. There is not one "Celeste".

Regarding decals, for a big brand like Bianchi there are a lot of repros made, but a more obscure decal might require you to get it custom made from a photo, which is expensive.

I would stay away from repainting unless absolutely necessary.

I am looking at a specific bike and I cannot post pictures until I make 10 posts which sucks. /: How do I look for the catalogs on the forums? Or for decals?

ridelikeaturtle 05-28-19 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by jahdiel (Post 20951219)
How would I know itís a fake?

Get some good photos up, and let the forum have at it. If anything doesn't look correct, there's gonna be somebody here who's going to point it out.

ridelikeaturtle 05-28-19 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by jahdiel (Post 20951231)
I am looking at a specific bike and I cannot post pictures until I make 10 posts which sucks. /: How do I look for the catalogs on the forums? Or for decals?

Ah, 10 posts you'll have in no time. Participate in a few discussions, don't take anything personally, and wait the predetermined amount of time (not sure what that is exactly), and before you know it you'll have hundreds.

jahdiel 05-28-19 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 20951234)
Get some good photos up, and let the forum have at it. If anything doesn't look correct, there's gonna be somebody here who's going to point it out.

I will post some when I get to 10 posts. The only noticeable flaws I saw was dirtiness and scrubs/scratches on the paint.

malcala622 05-28-19 12:45 PM

@jahdiel

I would recommend searching for a Bianchi that you find suitable for you and within your price range. A Celeste bianchi will cost slightly more than 200 bucks but they do turn up with luck under that.

Secondly make sure you have the right size in mind. We wouldn't want you buying a bike thats too small or big.

Id be more worried about repainted Bianchi rather than a FAKE. Repainted Bianchi sellers ask ridiculous prices.

If you find a bike you like post it here and we can help :)

ridelikeaturtle 05-28-19 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by jahdiel (Post 20951239)
I will post some when I get to 10 posts. The only noticeable flaws I saw was dirtiness and scrubs/scratches on the paint.

What's "dirtiness and scratches" to some is "patina" to others :)

squirtdad 05-28-19 12:58 PM

fit...it has to fit no matter how good a deal it is

bikemig 05-28-19 12:59 PM

With a $200 budget, I wouldn't be fixated on a brand. Bianchis command a premium and you can do better by spreading a wider net.

randyjawa 05-28-19 01:08 PM


How do I look for the catalogs on the forums?
Don't limit your search for Bianchi Catalogs to the Bike Forums. Just Google Bianchi Catalog and see what you get. Lots to choose from...
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8301785048.jpg

CO_Hoya 05-28-19 01:46 PM

I have no idea why the bike has both downtube and stem shifters, but the DT shifters at least seem to be connected to the derailleurs.

Pic assist:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...307b7c5e38.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ba2f310a26.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f514989d9.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...54cc4add65.jpg

T-Mar 05-28-19 02:56 PM

Based on the Bianchi logo style the subject bicycle is 1990-1991. Based on the model name remnants, it would appear to be a Forza, which was an entry level, sport model, 2nd from the bottom of the road bicycle product line. The presence of dropout eyelets are consistent with the Premio and Forza models of the era. The Forza was typically equipped with Shimano Exage 500EX derailleurs and 400EX crankset, brakes.and hubs but I see Exage Motion brakes which were discontinued at the end of 1989 and a 105SC rear derailleur. Obviously, it has been frankenbiked to an extent. The frame was made in Asia from an unidentified Tange CrMo double butted tubeset. MSRP was $425 US or $475 US, depending on the exact year.

The subject bicycle is only in fair cosmetic condition and does not appear to have been well cared for, with lots of dirt, scratches and some rust. Generally, this does not bode well for mechanical condition. At $200, I'd pass.

jdawginsc 05-28-19 04:20 PM

At $200, my guess is it will be a Taiwanese/other Bianchi with none of the panache, and allure, but some decent bikes from the 80s.

Like others have said...straight frame, fit and wheels.

$200 might buy a better riding Cannondale.

jahdiel 05-29-19 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by malcala622 (Post 20951240)
@jahdiel

I would recommend searching for a Bianchi that you find suitable for you and within your price range. A Celeste bianchi will cost slightly more than 200 bucks but they do turn up with luck under that.

Secondly make sure you have the right size in mind. We wouldn't want you buying a bike thats too small or big.

Id be more worried about repainted Bianchi rather than a FAKE. Repainted Bianchi sellers ask ridiculous prices.

If you find a bike you like post it here and we can help :)

Why does a repainted bianchi go for so much?

jahdiel 05-29-19 05:57 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20951453)
Based on the Bianchi logo style the subject bicycle is 1990-1991. Based on the model name remnants, it would appear to be a Forza, which was an entry level, sport model, 2nd from the bottom of the road bicycle product line. The presence of dropout eyelets are consistent with the Premio and Forza models of the era. The Forza was typically equipped with Shimano Exage 500EX derailleurs and 400EX crankset, brakes.and hubs but I see Exage Motion brakes which were discontinued at the end of 1989 and a 105SC rear derailleur. Obviously, it has been frankenbiked to an extent. The frame was made in Asia from an unidentified Tange CrMo double butted tubeset. MSRP was $425 US or $475 US, depending on the exact year.

The subject bicycle is only in fair cosmetic condition and does not appear to have been well cared for, with lots of dirt, scratches and some rust. Generally, this does not bode well for mechanical condition. At $200, I'd pass.

Could you simplify this a bit for me?

malcala622 05-29-19 06:08 PM


Originally Posted by jahdiel (Post 20953299)
Why does a repainted bianchi go for so much?

Because the seller raises the asking price above market value to recover the expenses spent on repainting.

jahdiel 05-29-19 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by malcala622 (Post 20953317)
Because the seller raises the asking price above market value to recover the expenses spent on repainting.

Oh okay I understand. How expensive could repainting actually cost because that seems crazy.

malcala622 05-29-19 06:25 PM


Originally Posted by jahdiel (Post 20953338)
Oh okay I understand. How expensive could repainting actually cost because that seems crazy.

Anywhere from a $80 powdercoat to a $800 professional repaint...it'll vary on who you get it painted from.

jahdiel 05-29-19 06:49 PM


Originally Posted by malcala622 (Post 20953344)
Anywhere from a $80 powdercoat to a $800 professional repaint...it'll vary on who you get it painted from.

Jeez thatís a lot more than I would bargain for

ryansu 05-29-19 10:23 PM

OP As has been said above if you budget is $200 you can probably find a very nice bike if you aren't fixated on a particular brand. With some patience and looking on CL and FB Market place, local bike co-op etc on the regular you might be surprised what comes up and if you are willing to do your own work in refurbishing the bike that $200 can stretch pretty far. If you list the size frame you are looking for and your general location in NJ you might even have some members send you listings with suggestions. There is also a Craiglist thread on here that gets updated pretty regularly that might be worth checking out. I am no expert but I think with Bianchi you are paying for the mystique of the name and the fact they did make some very nice frames with good kit back in the day ratchets up the price even for the more entry level stuff. And or course they can boast their share of Tour and Giro winners on their frames.

Lots of great stuff out there from Trek, Nishiki, Univega, Raleigh, Peugeot, Schwinn. Motobecane. Specialized to name a few of the prolific manufacturers and I am sure I missed some. I consider first second and third FIT, a great deal on any bike is worth little as a rider if it don't fit, then I would worry about the condition of the frame and paint and then I would look at the components. Take it slow there are tons of great vintage bikes out there. Good luck.

T-Mar 05-30-19 07:26 AM


Originally Posted by jahdiel (Post 20953305)
Could you simplify this a bit for me?

What don't you understand?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.