Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help with Campy road brake pad removal (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=170775)

sbornia 02-01-06 03:57 PM

Help with Campy road brake pad removal

Howdy -

Minor trouble - road brake pads stuck in their holders...

I STFA and haven't found any good answers, so here goes. What's the best way to remove worn road brake pads (Campy, in my case) from their holders? I did it once before, but for the life of me can't get the damn things out this time. I've tried pushing from the closed end, and pulling with a needlenose from the open end. No go.

(In case there's confusion over which part I mean, I'm just trying to slide out the rubber brake pad, not unbolt the cartridge/holder from the caliper.)

Thanks,
Steven

Extort 07-05-06 04:51 PM

Great question, and exactly the type of thing that I am trying to figure out. Anyone have an answer?

Is there a good book that details this type of information so that I can handle this myself?

OLDYELLR 07-05-06 05:10 PM

If you're trying to remove this type of pad:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/mathauser.gif

I would cut the remaining pad off flush with the holder, then stick a small screwdriver behind the remainder from the open end and pop it out. It should flex enough to come loose when the rest of the pad isn't there to stiffen it.

Extort 07-05-06 06:22 PM

2004 campy chorus pads
http://www.universalcycles.com/image...small/5649.jpg

operator 07-05-06 07:13 PM

You need to unscrew the small screw holding the pad to the holder.

poopncow 07-05-06 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by operator
You need to unscrew the small screw holding the pad to the holder.

++ :)

also try using the edge of a table as a stop to push against.

spinbackle 07-05-06 09:33 PM

I replaced some Campy (Chorus) pads recently with some Kool Stop Ceramic pads and it was a beeaatch! Used the long end of a hex wrench (not the kind w/a handle) to push the campy pad out far enough that I could then grab it with a vise grip wrench and then pulled it out. This is not an easy task and probably best done with the aide of some alcohol...beer comes to mind. I also lubricated the holder/pad combo with a little rubbing alcohol (it seemed to help a little). The Kool Stop pads were just as tough to get in as the Campy pads were to remove. I only replaced the front pads because of a new ceramic OP wheel build. There was no retaining screw noted...my brakes are '03 or newer. Good luck.

poopncow 07-06-06 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by spinbackle
was no retaining screw noted...my brakes are '03 or newer. Good luck.

Record differentials and no retaining screws either

DrPete 06-18-07 02:46 PM

So other than beer and large amounts of profanity, what IS the preferred technique for getting these pads out? I'm in a similar situation here myself.

Here's to the 11-month bump. :)

operator 06-18-07 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DrPete
So other than beer and large amounts of profanity, what IS the preferred technique for getting these pads out? I'm in a similar situation here myself.

Here's to the 11-month bump. :)

I could've sworn I answered this thread way less than 11 months ago. Seriously. Bikeforum glitches yaaaaa

cranky old road 06-18-07 04:52 PM

Put them on backwards and go for a ride? :eek:

rodrigaj 06-18-07 04:59 PM

Here is what I did when I was replacing my 2007 chorus pads with kool stops

First, forget about slideing them out. If you have access to a vise, put the rubber in the vise end to end and close the vise until the rubber deforms enough to put a screw driver in the gap between the rubber and the holder. Then use the screw driver to pry them apart. They pop right off.

When you put the kool stops in they slide in easily if you lube them with water.

nitropowered 06-18-07 05:16 PM

I use the edge of a table and push out the pad.

Theres also this

http://online.qbp.com/6SPsvm45/prodl/TL0113.jpg

cny-bikeman 06-18-07 05:57 PM

I always sprayed the pad liberally with Fantastic, 409 or similar - very slippery and won't harm rubber if reusing the item. Then clamp the pad in a vise and use a flat punch to knock the shoe holder off the pad. That works for most situations. In the worst case scenario I would take a dremel type tool and a cutoff disk, carefully cut down the middle of the pad lenthwise and then you should be able to remove the two sections (just made that one up, but should work). Use the 409 to insert the new pad with the least effort.

Kommisar89 06-19-07 12:12 AM

Pretty sure I just used a screwdriver and pried them out when I put the Kool Stops in. Yes it was a PITA but they came out eventually. I remember the first one being the worst until I got the hang of it and the rest were no so bad.

greenmtn 06-19-07 04:34 AM

http://www.campyonly.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578

HigherGround 05-13-09 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old road (Post 4677861)
Put them on backwards and go for a ride? :eek:

I liked this answer the best! :lol:

Unfortunately I too have fallen victim to the dreaded Campy brake pad curse. It's almost enough to make one switch to the dreaded S-company (either one).

I was able to remove the first pad by pulling it out from the cartridge with a pair of needle nose pliers. Unfortunately the second one just crumbled away when I tried it. Ultimately I was able to get it out by cutting it down, and then using the tip of a small flat bladed screwdriver to pry it out.

Learn from my mistake - don't let your brake pads wear down too far!

Panthers007 05-13-09 07:34 PM

I managed this by banging the ends on the edge of a strong counter-top. Slowly, but surely, it got the idea and gave up.

HillRider 05-13-09 08:07 PM

Reading this thread makes me glad I've never had to deal with Campy brakes. Shimano pads are changed by removing a small bolt and pulling the worn pad out with a pair of needle nose pliers. No great effort needed. Slip in new pads and replace the retaining bolt. Done.

Kool Stop's "Dura" pad holders and Nashbar's house brand pad holders (Tektros) are just as easy.

well biked 05-14-09 09:18 AM

In recent years, I've been running Kool Stop salmon pads on all my brakes. When I bought the '09 Campy Centaur group to install on my '97 Pinarello, I thought I'd simply remove the Campy pads and install Campy-compatible Kool Stop refill pads in their place......NOT! Those Campy brake shoes, complete with the Campy pads, are sitting in my parts box. I couldn't get the darned pads out.

Confession: my (almost) all-Campy equipped Pinarello has Kool Stop Campy-compatible brake shoes (the metal holders and refill pads).:D

The Kool Stop refill pads, in the Kool stop holders, are very easy to remove and install.:)

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...d/DSC02026.jpg

waldowales 05-14-09 09:35 AM

I sprayed them with soapy water, put the holders in a padded vise, and tapped the pads out with a hammer and a block of wood. They we very tight!

cranky old road 05-15-09 08:58 AM

I've had luck recently with inserting a flat blade screwdriver between pad and shoe at the open end and twisting. The bevel on the pad is so slight that it is easier to force the pad out perpendicular to the long dimension than it is to try to slide the pad out the same way it went in.

Homebrew01 05-15-09 10:42 AM

I use Channel-Lock pliers for removal & installation. 1 jaw on the pad, the other jaw on the pad holder, then squeeze.

mcpastor 03-29-19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old road (Post 8923905)
I've had luck recently with inserting a flat blade screwdriver between pad and shoe at the open end and twisting. The bevel on the pad is so slight that it is easier to force the pad out perpendicular to the long dimension than it is to try to slide the pad out the same way it went in.

Thanks for the tip. This worked for me.

My vice, Dremel and other tools are in storage, but a trusty screw driver worked while watching Thomas De Ghent win the first stage of the Catalunya road race. Just a minute or so each on the first three pads. I pushed the screwdriver straight down the closed end and twisted. I found if the pads start to slide just a little you can then slip the tip under the pad and use the metal closed end as a fulcrum to pry the pad up. Once it starts itís easier to keep going.

Unfortunately the last one would not budge and drew a little first blood. I tried using vice grips and the pad started pulling apart. The whole top separated a chunk at a time then I pushed the screwdriver up through one of the holes in the metal pad holder and started pushing the pad straight up and out of the prongs.

When installing the Kool Stop pads, I used just a little dawn dishwashing soap on the rubber edges and back that slide in the metal track. This was an old trick when installing the old foal bike grips on handlebars. They slid in fine.

Hoopdriver 03-30-19 07:01 PM

Last time I did it, I set the jaws of my bench vise just a bit wider than the pad. Then with the metal part stabilized by the jaws I was able to quickly tap out the pads with a mallet.