Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   DB Haanjo 7C Carbon (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1152716)

Lazyass 08-15-18 01:59 PM

DB Haanjo 7C Carbon

Does anyone have this bike? I'm trying to decide between this and the 5C EXP. On their website the group is listed as Ultegra R8000, but the bike in the picture is built up with 6800 and RS685 levers. I sent a message to DB tech support:

Hello, I am interested in the Haanjo 7C Carbon but I have a question. The specifications list the group as Ultegra R8000
but the bike in the picture has the old Ultegra 6800 group and RS685 STI's. Which is correct? Thanks!

This was the reply:

Hi Michael,
Thank you for reaching out!
You are certainly paying attention, the 7c on our official spec list is listed as being equipped with the R8000 Group.
Great build.

Let us know if you have any additional questions,
Cheers!

That was worthless because I obviously know what the spec list shows, I told him what it shows. It sounds like he doesn't know what the bikes in the boxes are actually equipped with. And I don't trust what they say on their website because I know for a fact a lot of the geometry charts are wrong. I dealt with that before I bought my Podium.

https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-7c-carbon

shoota 08-15-18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 20508225)
Does anyone have this bike? I'm trying to decide between this and the 5C EXP. On their website the group is listed as Ultegra R8000, but the bike in the picture is built up with 6800 and RS685 levers. I sent a message to DB tech support:

Hello, I am interested in the Haanjo 7C Carbon but I have a question. The specifications list the group as Ultegra R8000
but the bike in the picture has the old Ultegra 6800 group and RS685 STI's. Which is correct? Thanks!

This was the reply:

Hi Michael,
Thank you for reaching out!
You are certainly paying attention, the 7c on our official spec list is listed as being equipped with the R8000 Group.
Great build.

Let us know if you have any additional questions,
Cheers!

Pretty sure he's saying it's built with R8000 per their official spec sheet (internal doc), not their website that you're looking at.

Lazyass 08-15-18 02:33 PM

Yeah you might be right. If the 5C had hydro brakes I wouldn't even consider the 7C, and I'm still leaning toward the former anyway because I like the 650b's and do like the triple off road setup. I'm going to wait until labor day weekend to see if they go on sale for more off. Hopefully by then I'll see a review or some pictures from guys who actually bought one. Right now I can find nothing but pictures from the DB website.

xtatic 08-15-18 06:02 PM

I've been also looking at both those bikes and trying to make up my mind. I'm concerned about the GEO too. Do you know if the geo on the 7C is not correct as stated?

Lazyass 08-15-18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by xtatic (Post 20508615)
I've been also looking at both those bikes and trying to make up my mind. I'm concerned about the GEO too. Do you know if the geo on the 7C is not correct as stated?

I assume they're correct because the different models list the same geometry. With the Podiums they were all jacked up, different models of the same frame had different numbers listed. And I also sent a message to an ebay store that's selling the 7C. He said he contacted DB and they told him the bike in the picture was a pre-production run and they're supposed to ship with R8000.

I really like the 5C but I would want to switch the brakes to TRP Hylex hydros which would add about another $300. That total would only be about $300 less than the 7C with a full R8000 group. Hard decision. Wish they both had 650b wheels.

xtatic 08-16-18 06:55 AM

Thanks LA for the response. I've been concerned about the short reach on the bike being a tall rider, also toe overlap having a shoe size of 13.
The color is not my favorite either, bright orange? Uhmmm..
Also do you know whats the max tire width it would take on 700c?

Also they have a Haanjo 4 being released in Mid September, it's the same exact bike and components (ultregra, same wheels, etc) but with a Alu frame for $1999. Might want to look into that one too. It's not listed on the website but if you Google Haanjo 4 you will see the listing on Amazon. It's all black color.

Secret Squirrel 08-16-18 01:15 PM

I am also looking at the 7C for my entry into gravel bikes. The wife has authorized this purchase. My concerns are sizing and the vulnerabilty of carbon to impact damage. I just had a friend take a stick into the rear triangle. I usually run a 59, but the rep at diamond back was saying the 56 would fit. Don't know . compared the geometry and would like to try it out for sizing . no one carries this bike. Same frame along all of their carbon bikes. 6'2 with a 32 inseam.

Lazyass 08-16-18 01:57 PM

I'm 5'10" w/ a 32in inseam and I ride a 56. And I set my saddles a couple of cm's lower than average. I wouldn't worry about a stick or anything breaking the frame. I want carbon because, for one, my carbon Podium race bike actually rides smoother than any steel bike I ever had on chipseal roads, and also gravel bikes are porky as it is. I want the lightest frame possible. I had an aluminum Diverge and it was almost 25lbs.

Facanh 08-16-18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by xtatic (Post 20509299)
I've been concerned about the short reach on the bike being a tall rider, also toe overlap having a shoe size of 13.

In my experience depending on how far back you like your cleats that's an issue on a lot of 622 gravel bikes because of road-ish head angles + big 622 tyres.

leftthread 08-16-18 08:03 PM

Secret Squirrel 08-17-18 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 20510138)
I'm 5'10" w/ a 32in inseam and I ride a 56. And I set my saddles a couple of cm's lower than average. I wouldn't worry about a stick or anything breaking the frame. I want carbon because, for one, my carbon Podium race bike actually rides smoother than any steel bike I ever had on chipseal roads, and also gravel bikes are porky as it is. I want the lightest frame possible. I had an aluminum Diverge and it was almost 25lbs.

at 5'10", how much seat post do you have exposed? I need 805 mm from the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle.

gus6464 08-17-18 10:39 AM

Maybe you can call them and have them throw in the wheels of 5C with the 7C? That 5C build spec is quite bizarre too.

Lazyass 08-17-18 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel (Post 20511553)
at 5'10", how much seat post do you have exposed? I need 805 mm from the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle.

This is my 56cm Podium. The seat tube is 55cm from the center of the cranks to the top. The measurement from the top of my saddle to the center of the crank is 71.5cm, way shorter than yours. If the charts are correct on their website the Haanjo's seat tube is 1cm taller.

If you have only a 32in inseam then your saddle is set sky high, 805mm is almost 32 inches lol.

https://image.ibb.co/cQZsqz/20180521_182814.jpg

Secret Squirrel 08-17-18 09:11 PM

Yes my inseam is longer .My pant length measurement is erroneous. The 805 mm is accurate. This includes the space from my speedplay adapters . no hip rocking.

Secret Squirrel 08-18-18 08:11 AM

Podium geometry is too different from the haanjo to compare fit .the stand over height alone is about an inch varied. Diamond back says that the Haanjo run a size tall

Lazyass 08-18-18 08:25 AM

With the 56 the standover height is difference is 9mm, less than a quarter of an inch and the Haanjo has a shorter reach.

Secret Squirrel 08-18-18 12:56 PM

I am looking at the 56 Haanjo that shows a stand over height of 834 mm. The podium seems to have an 808 mm Stand over?
I am comparing the haanjo fit to my current road bike with a stand over of about 830 mm. This would give me a little room during an exit situation. I figure the shorter top tube will be adjusted with a longer stem for a more upright position. The stack and reach dimensions dont help. Different overall geometry.

Lazyass 08-18-18 02:55 PM

You're right, I was looking at the wrong size. The Haanjo does have a shorter reach, which is more important IMO. Standover height is the one measurement I don't even pay attention to. It's never been an issue in the countless number of bikes I've owned over the years.

Soonerinfrisco 09-16-18 11:36 AM

Hey guys, do you know if DBack still has a corporate code discount? That carbon Haanjo looks great!

thanks

mstateglfr 09-16-18 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco (Post 20569019)
Hey guys, do you know if DBack still has a corporate code discount? That carbon Haanjo looks great!

thanks

yes its still around. Same for Raleigh which is a sister brand.

Kelly.Fisher 09-17-18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20569773)
yes its still around. Same for Raleigh which is a sister brand.

Mind sharing what that code is?

Soonerinfrisco 09-18-18 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kelly.Fisher (Post 20571331)

yes please. thanks

mstateglfr 09-18-18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kelly.Fisher (Post 20571331)

Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco (Post 20572811)
yes please. thanks

you have to go to the corporate site and not the regular site.
the code is CYCLE4TAW and needs to be typed in(at least thats how it used to be).

Soonerinfrisco 09-20-18 10:04 AM

mstate,

Thanks man that code is valid! Knocks $500 off the price!

Kelly.Fisher 09-20-18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco (Post 20576547)
mstate,

Thanks man that code is valid! Knocks $500 off the price!

What's that make the final price? The prices on the DiamondBack site are all over the damned map.