Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Tube patching! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1188010)

bwilli88 11-14-19 08:45 PM

Tube patching!

Tire and tube repair Cambodia style
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d6dde0934.jpg
I know it is not a C&V bike but this is what I use occasionally for my bikes! Takes about 5 minutes

francophile 11-14-19 08:57 PM

But, like, how hard is it just to apply contact cement on the tube, wait a minute, and lay a small patch on it? :D

This seems like overkill. And really stinky too.

randyjawa 11-15-19 11:47 AM

I have learned that not all places have all things to make living easier. For example, this morning, using packing tape and an old cardborad box, I made up a garbage pail for my wife's kitchen. Where I am now, I even save pieces of cardboard. One never knows when something, taken for granted and often tossed away, will come in useful.

As for glue and a patch - first ya gots to have the glue and the patch. I have, only one time, stuffed my flat tire with grass and leaves, just to get home.

squirtdad 11-15-19 11:59 AM

Look like repairing a motorcycle/scooter tire. lot heavier duty. I remember service stations repairing car, truck and tractor tires with vulcanizing patches like this..... where vulcan really did mean heat

francophile 11-15-19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21210310)
Look like repairing a motorcycle/scooter tire. lot heavier duty. I remember service stations repairing car, truck and tractor tires with vulcanizing patches like this..... where vulcan really did mean heat

Versus, y'know, Spocks or whatever. :D

https://www.startrek.com/sites/defau...0c3eb19fe7.jpg

Velo Mule 11-15-19 12:10 PM

Oh, I see, it is a piston with some flammable stuff in there an lit. Pressure is applied with the mini arbor press. We, in the west, have access to rubber cement and decent patches. My guess is that is not so available in Cambodia, so this works for them. And yes, it probably works more reliably on thicker scooter tubes, but if you under cook it and then keep increasing the time until the patch takes, it should work fine for thinner bicycle tires.

It is risky to judge how someone else would go about a job, that doesn't have the same resources.

79pmooney 11-15-19 12:32 PM

We get to see the fruits of the industrial revolution in the third world, where the materials and technologies are what was revolutionary 100-150 years ago (but worked well and still does). Now us Westerners have no idea what we are looking at when we see what was done here in 1900 or so. We're too advanced. (And if we don't have our modern patchkit, we're stranded.)

Ben

noglider 11-15-19 12:35 PM

I tried hot patching using a cast-iron skillet. It didn't work. Maybe I didn't have enough heat.

Velo Mule 11-15-19 01:05 PM

@bwilli88, do you think you can get a video of that some time?

squirtdad 11-15-19 01:46 PM

here is an older link on the subject https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...atch-kits.html

Originally Posted by ka0use (Post 13183325)
when i was a kid, ever so long ago, we had monkey grip patch kits and m.g. hot vulcanised patches. the hot ones were put on at a REAL service station. the patch was on one side of a steel tub thing and the tub was filled with something that would burn hot. the repair feller would put the tube on a horizontal clamp (table mounted), put the patch thingy on and set it on fire. when the fire went out he'd close the clamp, forcing the tub onto the tube. let it set a bit, then released it. the patch would far outlast the tube and my tubes had lotsa patches. cost 25 cents, including labor.

i had a home kit in which there was rubber cement you'd set on fire (i love fire), then apply the patch and keep pressure on for a minute. the kit was in an oval cardboard can and the lid was a roughener. inside was glue and patches. i think one can had one large patch and you trimmed to suit, saving the rest of it for future patches.

in 2002 i had a flat on my car in the wild woods of wyoming and limped in to casper on the doughnut. a walmart had monkey grip tire plug kits! bought one (included tools) for maybe $5 and fixed it in the lot. 2 blocks over was a tire shop and i aired up there.

on the road again......

whoaaaa, update! ebay has this for bid starting at $12 (march 10 2013).
description:

MONKEY GRIP "SIZZLE" VULCANIZING PATCH KITS WITH CLAMP
Vintage Monkey Grip Box with 1 complete patch, 1 in-complete patch, 2 scrapers from other kits and a like new clamp!

The box has it's original lid and flaps. There are some wrinkles on the box but the graphics are intact!

The Clamp is vintage and is in almost new condition.

​​​​​​​

squirtdad 11-15-19 01:51 PM

and here is a pic of the classis kit of this type for home use (clearly they fascinated me) https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75d7b89473.jpg

seedsbelize 11-15-19 08:59 PM

My dad patched tubes in this manner, in the 60s

old's'cool 11-15-19 10:34 PM

Randy will appreciate this, there is a nationwide automotive *** hardware *** department store in Canada that is affectionately known, in the central part of the country at least, as Cambodian Tire.

old's'cool 11-15-19 10:35 PM

...OK, the *** in my above post are the Latin word for "with" :rolleyes:

ramzilla 11-15-19 10:48 PM

OP picture looks like a EPA toxic waste dump!!!!!!!

davester 11-15-19 11:06 PM

I've got to second Velo Mule's post. It's pretty shocking that people are using this insanely difficult and intensive repair procedure when a simple rubber cement and patch procedure would suffice. My question is "why is this even happening?"

Chr0m0ly 11-16-19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ramzilla (Post 21211175)
OP picture looks like a EPA toxic waste dump!!!!!!!

Naw, he's got a tub of water to find the leak, and a clamping and vulcanizing set up, a bottle with (I'm guessing) soapy water to reseat the tire carcass, and a basket of odds and ends. I don't think the EPA or OSHA would have any issue with those chemicals. He's even atba safe distance with his open toed shoes. My mechanic instructor would always tell us,
"Any port in a storm"
As a reminder that sometimes the repair just has to work to be "correct".
He was old school, also fond of saying
"Every good mechanic is standing on a pile of broken parts."
You don't get to be skilled without experience.

Lascauxcaveman 11-16-19 12:22 AM

I find it hard to believe that contact cement and tire patches are unobtainium in Cambodia. They are both made right next door in China, thousands of miles closer than is the US of A.

And also a transportation system that relies quite heavily on heavily-laden bicycles.

seedsbelize 11-16-19 06:36 AM

To undersrand how the third world works, one must experience it.

Pompiere 11-16-19 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21210487)
and here is a pic of the classis kit of this type for home use (clearly they fascinated me) https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75d7b89473.jpg

As a kid helping out in my parents' truck stop, I used a bunch of patches like this to fix semi-truck inner tubes. Ours were Camel brand, though. The heat made the patch and tube become one, and as long as you cleaned the area properly, it was as strong as the rest of the tube.

mountaindave 11-16-19 08:06 AM

So this begs the question: how hot does the tube have to get to vulcanize?

I have been using rubber cement for patches and had one fail when the tanks shipped to single digits. Interestingly I made it to work without issue, then the tube failed while I was working. So I’d be interested in something stronger.

cudak888 11-16-19 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 21209548)
I know it is not a C&V bike but this is what I use occasionally for my bikes! Takes about 5 minutes

Good stuff.

Curious, does this have a better track record of holding up than the usual contact cement patch? I get a failure rate of about 2 out of 3, even though I do my diligence to buff the area, give the cement time to dry, etc. - never had much luck.

-Kurt

noglider 11-16-19 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by davester (Post 21211188)
I've got to second Velo Mule's post. It's pretty shocking that people are using this insanely difficult and intensive repair procedure when a simple rubber cement and patch procedure would suffice. My question is "why is this even happening?"

Labor is cheap, and materials are expensive. It's the opposite of our economy.

Slightspeed 11-16-19 04:16 PM

Its good to see the guy in the hot patch photo wearing heat resistant safety flip flops. I had some of those on one day, working on the bike, and dropped a 12" crescent wrench on my toe. Hurt. Never tried them for hot patching work though. 😉

sykerocker 11-16-19 05:51 PM

You do realize that's a motorcycle piston in the press providing the pressure and seemingly the cauldron for the heat source? Looks about the right size for a 500 Triumph or 750 Triple. Noticed it because I've got one on my desk from a late, unlamented 72 Trident.