Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Clothing (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=147460)

New2Cycling 10-19-05 07:05 PM

Clothing

Just curious... what do you all wear when you bike into work? Do you wear the spandex on your everyday commutes? Do you wear leg warmers or tights? Do you just wear jeans?

chizlr40 10-19-05 07:12 PM

i wear full bike gear spandex,jersey.warmers if it gets colder.never know when i'll take the long way home

genec 10-19-05 07:16 PM

What ever I darn well want. Until I actually get to work, I am on my time.

chephy 10-19-05 07:27 PM

Sometimes it's spandex and everything. But I feel bad wearing expensive clothes for something so everyday and mundane. :) So usually it's just some comfortable clothes, not necessarily even sports. Today I wore corduroy pants, running shoes, cotton (yes, cotton! :)) T-shirt and a jacket. The jacket actually was a biking jacket - in fact, that's my everyday jacket, I wear it even when I don't bike. And, yeah, I wore biking gloves too - that's two biking-specific clothes items. :)

Thor29 10-19-05 07:31 PM

My commute is just under 2 miles, so I wear my work clothes. Personally, I would never bother with spandex and all that stuff for rides under 10 miles. Of course, climate plays a big factor - here in San Francisco it is so mild that you usually don't sweat much.

Jarery 10-19-05 07:40 PM

My commutes an hour each way, i wear full cycling gear

10ch 10-19-05 07:52 PM

My commute is 5 miles each way and I wear jeans and some combo of sythetic shirt/t-shirt/wool sweater/whatever. Just wear regular shoes. I have a bike specific rain/wind-proof jacket.

Longhorn 10-19-05 07:56 PM

My commute is 17.5 miles each way and it takes me well over an hour (TWO hours today but that's another story :( ) so I wear cycling shorts and an Alert Shirt.

Bikeguy1 10-19-05 07:57 PM

I wear spandex on my 10 mile ride. I have done it with just jeans on but it is a lot more comfortable in bike clothes.

(conspiracy thought for the day here) :eek:

I think that bike manufacturers also own all the bike clothing companys so they design the bikes to be uncomfortable unless you buy their clothing thus increasing profits enormously. :D :D

dang133 10-19-05 08:13 PM

I wear shorts and a t-shirt everywhere i go. Some days i've been known to put it 25+ miles wearing sandals on a $1500 road bike.

unkchunk 10-20-05 12:02 AM

Now? It's a jogging sweats/tights thing because it's too cold in the morning to get started, and some high vis sweatshirt jacket combo... and gloves. Once I've started, okay after 10 or 15 minutes, then I'm okay. It's just getting hard to get started.

When it was warmer I'd just wear shorts and a high vis T-shirt. But those days are gone now. It's going to rain tomorrow too. Cold, dark, wet...

Praxis 10-20-05 12:31 AM

Running/sports (basketball/lacrosse) shorts with wicking shirt or t-shirt for 5.6 mi each way commute. Can't bike in my work clothes, as the two steep hills generally make me sweat.

The Seldom Kill 10-20-05 01:32 AM

Jean and a T-shirt. Shorts when it's warm, upper layers when it's cold.

People in my cycling group regularly question my decision to wear jeans but having ridden 80 miles up canals and rough path in jeans I do have to ask, what is this chaffing of which you speak?

RonH 10-20-05 05:32 AM

My commute is about 45 minutes each way so I wear the same things I do on my weekend rides -- bibs, jersey, gloves, coolmax socks, mtn bike shoes with cleats (for my Eggbeater pedals), and sun glasses. On cool mornings I add arm warmers, knee warmers, base layer, vest, and full finger gloves. As winter gets here (:crash: ) I'll add leg warmers, tights, two pairs of smartwool socks, warmer cycling jacket, fleece, skull cap or balaclava, warmer gloves, earmuffs, portable propane heater, :eek: ...
I hate talking about the "C" word, and the "F" word, and the "W" word, and the "D" word. How many weeks till April?? :o

pharmboyrx 10-20-05 05:36 AM

I have a 6.7 mile commute. I wear lycra shorts or a pair of baggies plus a jersey. I like to TT it to school in the morning so I work up quite a sweat. (or would if I wore cotton) I have showers at school too though.

ItsJustMe 10-20-05 05:40 AM

I've worn both, but am more comfortable in spandex. I have a 11 mile ride each way. Luckily we have showers at work.

Sometimes in the summer I'll wear khaki shorts and a T shirt, but the crotch seam can get bothersome and sweaty cotton can get nasty. But cotton's just so nice when it's behaving itself.

oboeguy 10-20-05 05:55 AM

8.5 mile commute ==> full Lycra getup. Years ago when I commuted all of 3 miles each way, I would wear what I would be wearing at work, which is to say, whatever I felt like wearing (small startup company).

egonlou 10-20-05 06:31 AM

16 miles each way. during the summer, lycra shorts and a t shirt. when I get near work, I would put on wind pants. As its getting colder, I wear the pants all the way and a fleece.

rule 10-20-05 06:54 AM

About 9 miles each way...mountain bike baggies and an alert shirt. Once it gets down into the 40's I'll add some knee warmers and maybe a top layer. Into the 30's I'll wear leg warmers or tights and add a wind shell.

PaulH 10-20-05 06:56 AM

Sport jacket, slacks and tie on casual days; suit and tie otherwise.

Paul

DataJunkie 10-20-05 07:01 AM

7-35 miles each way depending upon my route choice (with or without bus and a few other option). Spandex no matter what. I have a hard enough time getting on my bike in jeans. I tried it twice and then purchased my tights. I can't seem to move my legs far enough in jeans to even mount the bike.
The rest of my gear is slowly being converted to cycling specific items. Today will be the addition of a pair of cycling shorts.

j3ns 10-20-05 07:30 AM

I wear work clothes, except for the pants. I use jogging pants while riding and then slip into jeans at work. The only bike-specific item is the helmet. But soon I hope to add biking shoes and go clipless. The commute is very short, but I quite often take the longer route on my way home (when it's ok to sweat).

Walkafire 10-20-05 07:46 AM

I wear what ever it takes.... Cycling gear

Course I have 5 Lockers, Shower, Washer and Dryer sitting at work for me!

Nice to be able to have enough clothes for a couple weeks! Hee Hee

d2create 10-20-05 07:46 AM

during the warmer months i wear baggy bike shorts. I can wear regular shorts, but since the padding is in the bike shorts, i don't have to wear underwear. I hate dealing with the extra pair of wet underwear at work.
On top i wear any kind of sweat wicking t-shirt or sleevless t-shirt from any sporting goods store. Much cheaper than real bike jerseys and its the same stuff. I don't need the rear pockets for my commute. I save those for the weekend distance rides.
And on my feet, i've been wearing Tivo sandals recently. I'll probaby get those sandals with clips in the spring.

Bekologist 10-20-05 07:55 AM

Anytime my commute is less than an hour from the house or so, and no fitness riding plans after work, i'll wear

not quite everyday street clothes, not quite biker lycra and logo'd kit, but the somewhere in between nebulous rack of clothing known as - commuter wear!

Thrift shop, chopped and cropped pants, plaid wool shirts. Miracle fabric mountain pants and wicking jerseys. Schoeller jackets, leather gloves.

Lots of wool, immodest summer shorts, wicking CK boxer briefs to keep everthing legal,

practical clothing that works. Breathes, dries quick, warm when wet, yada yada yada.