Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Too Hot too ride.....whats the hottest temp you have ever rode a bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=830466)

jasonmg1981 07-07-12 10:11 AM

Too Hot too ride.....whats the hottest temp you have ever rode a bike?

Yesterday was 101, in indiana, with somewhere around 60% humidity. I threw in the towel after 5 miles. Today is supposed to be even hotter, so I am not even attempting a ride. What is the hottest temperature you have ever rode?

CraigB 07-07-12 10:20 AM

I don't recall, but on Wednesday it was at 100 before I finished the last of my 54-mile CIBA ride from Brownsburg to Lebanon and back.

digibud 07-07-12 10:24 AM

I think it hit 83F yesterday and that may be the hottest day I've ridden. After that grueling heat my wife and I decided to try to get an earlier start on those kind of ridiculously hot days. It's all relative, eh?

CliftonGK1 07-07-12 10:26 AM

I did the one-day Seattle to Portland ride in 2008. 203 miles, and the temperature peaked at 93F coming across the WA/OR state line.

Mark.from.Texas 07-07-12 10:44 AM

~102 a week or so ago, 99 today and will go out in about an hour. I bought my current bike because a friend of me talked me into doing the http://www.hh100.org/ 100 mile ride so I try to train during the heat instead of avoiding it by riding early or late (that and my work schedule only gives me time to ride from 1300-1600 on days I work).

CommuteCommando 07-07-12 10:56 AM

100+ in the San Fernando Valley, where the humidity drops when the temp's get that high. Not bad if you have lots of water and keep moving.

CJ C 07-07-12 10:56 AM

i am having the hardest time in the humidity the midwest is having. Today i totally hit the wall at my half way point and the last 6miles of a 40 mile ride i limped home at 8-9mph. it was brutal, i dont mind the heat its the humidity that kicks my arse

jasonmg1981 07-07-12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by digibud (Post 14450866)
I think it hit 83F yesterday and that may be the hottest day I've ridden. After that grueling heat my wife and I decided to try to get an earlier start on those kind of ridiculously hot days. It's all relative, eh?

Ha....I i guess it is relative. 83 degrees would feel great compared to this mess. We have excessive heat warnings and ozone alerts today. Temperature is supposed to reach 104 with a heat index up to 115 degrees. My steaks dont get much hotter than that!

Cychologist 07-07-12 10:59 AM

103, when I finished my ride last Thursday. I was toast after only a 30 mile ride.

jasonmg1981 07-07-12 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by CJ C (Post 14450965)
i am having the hardest time in the humidity the midwest is having. Today i totally hit the wall at my half way point and the last 6miles of a 40 mile ride i limped home at 8-9mph. it was brutal, i dont mind the heat its the humidity that kicks my arse

Thats an impressive ride in this heat. You are right, the humidity is the arse kicker. Midwest heat is like no other. I have a friend in the air force who returned from Quatar last year and would train in temperatures reaching 130.

Mark.from.Texas 07-07-12 11:03 AM

My longest recent ride, 66 miles, was in 87 degree overcast weather. I just kept on going thinking 'I will not see a day this nice for a while, I better keep plugging away while I can'.

Originally Posted by jasonmg1981 (Post 14450970)
Ha....I i guess it is relative. 83 degrees would feel great compared to this mess. We have excessive heat warnings and ozone alerts today. Temperature is supposed to reach 104 with a heat index up to 115 degrees. My steaks dont get much hotter than that!

Tex Bs 07-07-12 11:06 AM

Here in the Houston are,a I routinely ride in temps. of over 100 degrees. Often the humidity here is 90% or more, so we're hit double both heat and humidity. Most of my rides on those days are 25 miles or less. I usually wait until the late afternoon and ride into dusk. As long as I can spend much of my ride out of direct sunlite i'm happy. But I have ridden at mid-day with those same temps too.

With that being said I would MUCH rather ride on a 100+ day then on a 50 degree or less day and my hat is off to all those I see on a cold day riding.

Mithrandir 07-07-12 11:09 AM

Hottest ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101337922

109.4 degrees in Buffalo NY. The ride was supposed to be 2x longer but when I had to get off the bike to rest after 10 miles, it was pretty obvious that wasn't going to happen, so I bailed.

Generally speaking, I don't like anything 85 and above; my endurance is dramatically lessened in those conditions. I usually puff up like a marshmallow as well, and my heartrate spikes high and stays high even when I stop cycling. Ugh, heat.

BlueShoe 07-07-12 11:52 AM

Last Saturday, June 30, in Nashville. 106 degrees.

The day before (June 29, 2012) was the hottest temperature ever recorded in Nashville (109 degrees). Nashville records go back to 1871. I didn't venture out on the 109 day, but I did on the 106 day, late in the afternoon. Short ride (around 6 miles) circling the local greenway. Drank plenty of water and saw barely a soul. It wasn't as bad as you might expect because the humidity was low. Felt more like the southwest than the southeast. Still it would be nice if we could get out of this trend of triple digit temperatures.

RoyIII 07-07-12 11:59 AM

108 a couple of weeks ago - but I only rode to the YMCA to swim. I grew up in this kind of heat in the '50's and actually like it.

Wolfador 07-07-12 12:18 PM

Did 17 miles last night in 102 and did 26 this morning in 103. Find a shaded trail and you are fine, as long as you are going fast enough there is plenty of breeze to keep you cool.

chefisaac 07-07-12 12:35 PM

104 last year in August and did 30 plus miles. Coldest was 13 degrees.

cbuddy2005 07-07-12 12:44 PM

Warmest ever for me was last year, 108. It sucks the water right out of you. Also did a bunch of rides at lower temps, 103, 101 etc. . . .The hotter it gets the flatter and shadier course I ride. My normal long course really has zero shade and only one area even has a curb to sit on. yer on yer own in some parts of Texas :rolleyes:

SkippyX 07-07-12 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tex Bs (Post 14450993)
Here in the Houston are,a I routinely ride in temps. of over 100 degrees. Often the humidity here is 90% or more, so we're hit double both heat and humidity. Most of my rides on those days are 25 miles or less. I usually wait until the late afternoon and ride into dusk. As long as I can spend much of my ride out of direct sunlite i'm happy. But I have ridden at mid-day with those same temps too.

Yep. I'm in Houston, and I have a 40 mile round trip commute. Mornings are actually harder than the trip home, though, because of the humidity. My travel time on the trip home is usually 2-3 minutes faster than the a.m. ride in.

Originally Posted by Tex Bs (Post 14450993)
With that being said I would MUCH rather ride on a 100+ day then on a 50 degree or less day and my hat is off to all those I see on a cold day riding.

And ya just lost me.

I grew up in Upstate NY - just south of Lake Ontario. I tolerate the Houston heat because I have no choice but I'd MUCH rather ride in cooler temperatures. 50 degrees is pleasant weather to me.

Dad 2 3 07-07-12 01:12 PM

It was 102 today and managed only 28.1 miles. The last two miles were a mighty struggle. Only averaged 15.5mph.

Bluish Green 07-07-12 01:42 PM

I hate the heat and humidity. I commuted by bike in 103 F heat the past couple of days. My hat is off to the Houston guys, that stuff would seriously threaten my dedication if it lasted all summer long.

You can help yourself out a lot on those type of days if you can do your riding when the UV index (shown on weather websites like Intellicast - scale of 10) is 3 or less (ie, after 5 pm for Midwest at this time of year) and of course by carrying ice water. I also find I do better when I just keep pedaling to keep the breeze moving. Stopping at lights makes me realize hot stinkin hot it actually is outside. Stopping for a break thus is only a partial break, because it makes the heat worse. I'm looking forward to cooler temps for sure.

SkippyX 07-07-12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bluish Green (Post 14451404)
I hate the heat and humidity. I commuted by bike in 103 F heat the past couple of days. My hat is off to the Houston guys, that stuff would seriously threaten my dedication if it lasted all summer long.

You can help yourself out a lot on those type of days if you can do your riding when the UV index (shown on weather websites like Intellicast - scale of 10) is 3 or less (ie, after 5 pm for Midwest at this time of year) and of course by carrying ice water. I also find I do better when I just keep pedaling to keep the breeze moving. Stopping at lights makes me realize hot stinkin hot it actually is outside. Stopping for a break thus is only a partial break, because it makes the heat worse. I'm looking forward to cooler temps for sure.

When stopping for a break, stop only for a large shaded area.

In Houston, the best parking spots are not the ones closest to the store. They're the spots in the shade.

WildcatRx 07-07-12 02:46 PM

Living in Arizona I bike everyday from May to the end of Sept with temps from low 90's to 110+. It is brutal.

UpL8 07-07-12 04:05 PM

I lived in Winslow, AZ for a summer as a teen and used to ride frequently during that time. The hottest temperature/ride that I experienced there was 116 degrees, but I didn't realize it at the time I was riding. It was a very, very dry heat so it didn't really bother me. In fact, having grown up in Oklahoma, experiencing dry heat was a novelty! That's why I live in New Mexico now!

1FatBikeRider 07-07-12 05:33 PM

Last summer was BRUTAL down here in Texas. The last ride i did last year was 116 degrees when we took off. That was about 630pm. We rode 30 miles. It had cooled down to 103 by the time we finished.