Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How long do I have to wait before US Postal Jersey becomes cool to wear? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=602832)

Tall Cool One 11-14-09 09:23 PM

How long do I have to wait before US Postal Jersey becomes cool to wear?

I must admit that I am a Lance Armstrong fan. I am what I am. How long do I have to wait before wearing a US Postal jersey is considered "vintage" and cool?

I am a rookie road cyclist and don't want to be a "posseur" or "Fred" unless I just can't help myself.

Flyinlow 11-14-09 09:29 PM

Who cares what people think! If you like it and it feels cool to wear who cares what the click elect thinks! You won't catch me dead in Spandex, cool or not!!

hammy56 11-14-09 09:30 PM

youre concerned about what BFers think? It may be too late for you...

Flatballer 11-14-09 09:30 PM

I think the rule is 15 years before a jersey becomes vintage.

It's only been 5, so you've got a while to wait.

tsohg 11-14-09 09:40 PM

I've seen a guy in the full kit a few times.

If it makes you happy, it can't be that baaaaaaaaaaaad.

grwoolf 11-14-09 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tall Cool One (Post 10031650)
don't want to be a "posseur" or "Fred" unless I just can't help myself.

You just described the vast majority of cyclists from what I can tell. Embrace it. If you like the jersey, wear it.

I wear high-vis stuff all the time, which I think is very Fredly (but less Poser), but it makes my wife happy because she worries about cars running me over. I could care less what others think about my attire.

tagaproject6 11-14-09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tall Cool One (Post 10031650)
I must admit that I am a Lance Armstrong fan. I am what I am. How long do I have to wait before wearing a US Postal jersey is considered "vintage" and cool?

I am a rookie road cyclist and don't want to be a "posseur" or "Fred" unless I just can't help myself.

You make no excuses for being a Lance Armstrong fan and yet you seek "vintage and cool" approval from total strangers who has no bearing on your life.

Wear what you want...you are a grown man. :rolleyes:

luker 11-14-09 09:58 PM

I wear my postal bibs on the trainer...they were really really cheap.

And not all that comfortable, although that doesn't have anything to do with the stuff on the outside.

zzzwillzzz 11-14-09 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 10031724)
Wear what you want...you are a grown man. :rolleyes:

but we'll still point and laugh and call him a fred, and that's what he's really afraid of.

DScott 11-14-09 11:31 PM

um, never?

I guess we can all be grateful that you're not one of the eleventy billion riders with a full CSC kit, 'cuz what's longer than "never"?

save10 11-14-09 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by DScott (Post 10032128)
um, never?

I guess we can all be grateful that you're not one of the eleventy billion riders with a full CSC kit, 'cuz what's longer than "never"?

people who wear spandex are in no position to criticize others who wear spandex.

VA_Esquire 11-14-09 11:40 PM

I have a Discovery jersey I wear ever so often. Havent gotten a weird look yet, though I did take a nasty spillage on it 2 months ago and now it looks all rugged and......"vintage" -_-

WR3K 11-14-09 11:45 PM

hey everyone, freds = cycling enthusiasts, money going into the sport, riders to keep us company on the roads, and people to pass (sometimes)

so shut up!

DScott 11-14-09 11:48 PM

I'm just kidding around- wear whatever you want, whenever you want to. The point is to have a good time. I love wearing my Solvang century jersey on hammerfests. It's powder blue and has windmills on it. :D

Bianchigirll 11-14-09 11:48 PM

your Postal jersey will be stylish as soon as your baby blue lesiure suit is :roflmao2:

DScott 11-14-09 11:49 PM

I'm still waiting on the return of the Nehru jacket...

Sourpuss Magee 11-14-09 11:51 PM

145 years

DinoShepherd 11-15-09 01:33 AM

Edit: Nevermind.

Deleted hilarious reply that would offend WAY too many people.

-Z

patentcad 11-15-09 04:18 AM

This thread is Frediculous.

Barese Rider 11-15-09 05:35 AM

Even I a champion of Fredness will not don a Postal Jersey, its just too Fred for me. So somewhere between the 145 years and the return of the Nehru jacket or whatever comes last would probably do it.

patentcad 11-15-09 05:37 AM

Dr. Evil wears a Nehru jacket. His answer: one MILLION years.

http://bradley.chattablogs.com/dr.evil.jpg

OBXCycling.com 11-15-09 05:40 AM

Frediculous is my new favorite word.

Homebrew01 11-15-09 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by DinoShepherd (Post 10032341)
Edit: Nevermind.

Deleted hilarious reply that would offend WAY too many people.

-Z

Awwwwww, :(

patentcad 11-15-09 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by OBXCycling.com (Post 10032531)
Frediculous is my new favorite word.

Pcad delivers.

http://www.kunsthaus.org.mx/Dulce/superman.jpg

BillyD 11-15-09 06:33 AM

25 Years

Maybe 30.

We'll see when we get there.

Look, son, now that all your Fred peers have come forth and filled your head with all that politically correct crap, here's the deal.

It's ok to admire LA, everybody does. But in road cycling the last thing you want to do is give the impression you're soft, weak. That's the impression you'll be giving if you wear a US Postal or Discovery jersey.

It just shouts out to the road biking community "Hey Everybody, I'm a Groupie, I Have No Individuality, No Self-Respect, No Self-Determination Other Than To Go Out And Imitate A Superstar As Closely As I Can".

Sure it's a nice design. Very pretty. I like it too. But there are dozens and scores of nice designs out there. Why do you want to wear one that says "Look Everybody, I'm An LA Groupie"? Eeeeeeww YUK!!